Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

I am thinking of changing my thumb throttle to a twist. I only ride the dunes and sometime open desert. :MBdance:I am also no high flyer either. :black: :beercheers: What is the risk for my type of riding. Please give an opinion based from experience.

Posted

Well Jack,

Here's my experience:

Started riding ATCs with thumb throttle.

Then Quads, quad sport, Banshee, YFZ 450 all thumb throttles.

Been down the Dirt bike twist throttle road just to find a titanium rod in my femur. :old:

I've ridden Quads with twist throttles and I had way less control of em. :black:

So, basically I think you need to ride a quad with a twist, before you go change yours.

I know lots of 2 wheeler guys that swear by the twist throttle regardless what it's on. :beercheers:

That's just my $.03 .... I threw and extra penny in cuz you read my post. :clown:

R-

Posted

:black: I"m with Randog - street riding is one thing, not too many jumps or hills to climb up or shoot down. It's happened to me and several friends with twist throttles, all it takes is one time of grabbing to hold on - natural reaction, and youve likely opened up not wanting too....

Personal choice, rode many a dirt bike with twist, and maybe its just getting older now, but if I :ah: myself out there, and grab to hold on, it's likely not going to increase my speed or impact with the ground, so all of my toys are thumb throttles

SP2 Mike :beercheers:

Posted (edited)

waz up jack, I personally like the thumb trottle,more control and you can pull off pretty bad a$$ wheeles :lol:

Yeah, No doubt PETE. you're not kiddin' :ah:

post-591-1223681010_thumb.jpg :old:

:black: :beercheers:

Edited by Randog
Posted

I guess I'm the FREAK then. :old: I feel I have more control and less fatigue with a TWIST throttle. Then again I started on 2 wheels. When I first got on a quad I said wtf is thaaat chit? :black: I thought thumb throttles were pretty gay from that point on and we're the first thing to go in the trash. :beercheers:

It's all a matter of rider prefernce though. ;)

Posted

I say twist is the way to go.....except for quads on a motox track. If you go with a twist make sure you don't go with a 1/4 turn model.

Posted

If you go with a twist make sure you don't go with a 1/4 turn model.

really? That's what I have and I love it. :ah: :beercheers:

Then again...full throttle on the Craptor is nothing to be afraid of. :old: :black:

Posted

twist throttles here as well.. Then again like dunefreak i grew up riding 2 wheelers so its second nature to me.. :D full throttle on the craptor is fun dude who you kiddin lol..

Posted

I like the twist Throttle on my Banshee... The thunb throttle really gets old. After a few hours of riding your thumb is dead!!

I have had a couple of close calls with the twist... :old:

Just get use to it and it will become an easyer ride.. :black:

:beercheers:

Posted

Keep the great info coming. I myself also started on two wheels. My first bike 1977 XR75. Next bike was Honda 125. Now that I am livin large quads suit me better at 240lbs. I don't ride crazy but all it takes is that one time.

Posted

Keep the great info coming. I myself also started on two wheels. My first bike 1977 XR75. Next bike was Honda 125. Now that I am livin large quads suit me better at 240lbs. I don't ride crazy but all it takes is that one time.

Brother :B Stick with the thumb throttle. Twist will get you hurt. The peeps that advocate twist are used to them ! It is a big difference and I ride both because of Bikes and Quads. I am a quad guy who has ridden both and thumb is safer and more controllable if that is all you know. Just my 2$

Posted

My blaster has a twist throttle and I love it. But I recently got a LTR450 and haven't had a chance to change it to twist yet.

Twist if you just like to cruise around for long periods of time or drag racing up comp. I have small hands and wrist and after riding for 20 mins my hand cramps up.

Thumb throttle if you plan on doing jumps or wheelies. I do small jumps and I find that the thumb throttle is ALOT safer. Especially when you go over the whoops really fast it doesn't effect your throttle.

I'm keeping my thumb throttle with me at all times but most likely I'll be ordering a twist throttle before dumont. If I feel that I need to do something crazy I'll just do the initial swap at dumont.

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

there's a reason the quad manufacturers don't use twist throttle any more. they aren't safe, as others have said in this thread....so i will add my 2 cents. i have become a pretty good rider in the 7 years or so of riding quads(i've owned dozens of them).....almost every wreck i have had has been with a twist throttle, and i absolutely attribute the crashes to the fact i was with less control because of them. you might like them for a while but remember it only takes one mistake to kill you or change your life forever. HATE EM!!!!

Posted

if you're considering a twist throttle, it's probably cause you're uncomfortable with a thumb throttle, as i am. i've always rode on a twist. i jump, i ride ft through the desert and as fast as i can through whoops with a twist and i can do that all far greater than with a thumb throttle. it's like second nature to me, but i'm accustomed to it.

maybe it's just me but unless my thumb is around the grip, i'm in FAR LESS control. it's like trying to hold a cup without wrapping your thumb around it. if i'm in a situation that i need to hold on tight and i'm giving too much throttle input, my natural reaction is to put my right shoulder forward. place your hands around the front of your desk right now and try it, watch the reaction of your wrist.

your body placement is key to riding safely and properly with a twist throttle. the twist throttle itself isn't dangerous, it's just a component. your shoulders should be positioned about a foot forward from where your rear end is placed on the seat. sitting upright will cause you to lose your balance and a natural reaction to doing that is to hold on tight to something, in this case the handlebars. with a twist throttle you're going to increase or hold a constant acceleration and eventually wreck. this situation is not as common with a thumb throttle, however a little more common with a thumb throttle is having the bars removed from your hands by a jarring impact as the hand doesn't have a solid grasp around the grip. the throttle hand virtually rests on the grip and aids in steering and control.

if you think you'll become accustomed to a twist throttle easier/better than a thumb throttle, see if you can borrow a friends quad and try it out for a day or so. see if it's for you or not.

Posted

I'm going to install the Dual Gasser from Terry Cable on my Pred soon. It's the best of both worlds. Like I said before I removed my first Twister because off the control issues. The Dual gasser works both ways. Twist for Trail riding and Tumb for the dunes and hills. check them out at www.terrycable.com

Posted

it really depends on the quad...on a yfz450 yeah u might wanna go with a twist cuz its harsh on the thumb

the trx 450s however are a lil easier

i got a twist throttle on my bike of course pretty much every bike has one

yeah wut they say about hangin on and accidentally twistin it can happen

once u get used to the feel u dont even notice it and the burst of throttle usually never happens

its a lil easier on the thumb but its really ur preference on whether u like usin ur wrist or thumb :yiah:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • VIP RV

×
×
  • Create New...