OFF ROADER FOUND DEAD AT DUMONT DUNES

randyvw

a passerby found an off-roader who was killed at dumont on saturday, officials said. 8am saturday someone reported a man had been found dead in an overturned sand-rail, patially ejected, according to chp. jeffery wayne ebner was his name. a 37 y/o resident of folsom. another tragic accident. my thoughts and prayers to another fallen duner.

i was out there this weekend and woke up to seeing a crowd up on the dunes right across from the last finger dune we were camped against. the camp next to us went up there to check it out and they said it as only one man in a polaris ranger and that the ranger was rolled over at that time anyways. sad to see that stuff happen.

Horrible news. Not a good way to start the season. Reason #1 to ALWAYS wear and use saftey equipent. They save lives.

rest in peace, fellow duner :(

Here's the name in case anyone was concerned...

Coroner case #700807877 -- On 10/18/08, at 7:45 AM, Jeffrey Wayne Ebner, a 37 year old resident of Folsom...

Chef was out there yesterday and told me he saw a body being loaded in the coroners suv. He also told me a guy was airlifted to Vegas as well......sad stuff!!!!

Steve @ Sandcrazd called me about an hour ago. He just left there today and also mentioned that flight for life showed up for another accident (not related to this one).

As for the fatality, he saw lights up at the top of one of the hills on the back side of comp (camp side). He noticed them as he was leaving Dumont to go into Baker late after midnight (about 1 am). He found out the details later from authorities. They said that this happened around midnight and the guy lay dead up there all night until someone found him the next morning about 8am. Apparently he suffered severe head trauma when his sidexside (Ranger or RZR?) overturned when he tried cresting a razor up there. No word if he was or wasn't wearing belts. He was not wearing 5 point harnesses though. He did mention that. BE CAREFULL PEOPLE and never...never ride alone! :beercheers:

I do wonder IF it was a RZR that the cage may have had anything to do with it. Those cages don't look like there is enough head room for a bad accident.

Regardless...very sad. :(

I do wonder IF it was a RZR that the cage may have had anything to do with it. Those cages don't look like there is enough head room for a bad accident.

Regardless...very sad. :(

YES it is very sad

also...im sure the MFG never intended ANY sxs to be in terrain like that on the backside of comp...even on a quad it is :ah:

godspeed fellow duner. thoughts are with the family

Not to sound like a jerk but I talked with the camp host and the officers and the man had been drinking and the people in his camp let him take off by himself earlier and then they all went to bed and didnt report him missing until he was found sat. morning.

Flight for life was out 2 times this weekend once for a broken back on Saturday then today for a broken hip and possibel internal injuries.

I have never seen the dunes with as many whitch eyes etc.

Not to sound like a jerk but I talked with the camp host and the officers and the man had been drinking and the people in his camp let him take off by himself earlier and then they all went to bed and didnt report him missing until he was found sat. morning.

Flight for life was out 2 times this weekend once for a broken back on Saturday then today for a broken hip and possibel internal injuries.

I have never seen the dunes with as many whitch eyes etc.

Something like that was one of the rumors I heard as well. Didn't know if it was true though. Not very smart of him if that be the case. :beercheers:

Tim, I know what you mean about those dunes. I always try warning people about those razors and the stuff like at the top of comp. They were nasty the first weekend of Oct. :beercheers:

I was out yesterday for a shake down run on the new car. Witch eyes everywhere. And the ones @ comp are invisable from the bottom. We watched a couple quads stuff it into them.

Extra care will need to be taken over halloween for sure.

I was out yesterday for a shake down run on the new car. Witch eyes everywhere. And the ones @ comp are invisable from the bottom. We watched a couple quads stuff it into them.

Extra care will need to be taken over halloween for sure.

My heartfelt thoughts and prayers to the family.

I had a salesman that worked for me several years ago that went riding in the NW part of Las Vegas. He was an experienced rider and planned to go back to professional quad racing. He talked to one of his friends as they were going to a BB game that night. He said "one more ride" A dirt biker found him the next morning. He had died of masive internal injuries. His cell phone was by his side and showed he tried to dial 911. Had he been riding with someone he would still be alive! He had misjudged a hill and it was a wash and he hit the other side balls out.

I only share this story because we all know: NOT TO RIDE ALONE My guy was sober too!!!!!

bad dunes and a lot of wrecks already could be a bad halloween sure hope everyone takes it easy

I hope everyone plays it safe until they get lines they know set. I have been laughed at by friends (?) because I tend to take it easy over a razor until I know what lies beyond. I will take that every time over a stupid mishap or fatality. This sport is dangerous without exposing ourselves to the unknown that we know about. An accident can occur at any time. I know at any moment a lapse in judgement could result in a tragic accident. Play it safe peeps. A dune season is only as good as the responsible peeps allow. Good times for all of our peeps ! :think: