running first tank of biodiesel

after reading an article in the april/may issue of Sand Addiction magazine about the benefits of biodiesel on my engine, i decided to give it a try

a gas station close to my work has b20 for sale, so i filled the d-max up this moring.

I have a couple extra fuel filters at home, just in case...

anyway....i will report what, if anything, happens with this tank...

on the way to work from the fillup...the DIC said i was getting 1.12 mpg more than what I would normally get on the DIC. we will see with hand calc tho at the end of this tank..

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am glad you replied. :D

i am interested in your opinion of this, since you deal with the mechanics of a diesel probably on a daily basis

what are your reasons for not running it pimpshack? :banghead:

#1 It will void your warranty

#2 injection pump is 2200.00, injectors are 500.00X 8 , filter housing 600.00 and then add in 350.00 in hazard waste disposal and aprox 20 hours labor at 100.00 per hour.

Is that enough?

#2 injection pump is 2200.00, injectors are 500.00X 8 , filter housing 600.00 and then add in 350.00 in hazard waste disposal and aprox 20 hours labor at 100.00 per hour.

Is that enough?

^ yep, what he said. :D

It's not worth saving a couple dollars now and then ending up paying ALOT later. :banghead:

after reading an article in the april/may issue of Sand Addiction magazine about the benefits of biodiesel on my engine, i decided to give it a try

a gas station close to my work has b20 for sale, so i filled the d-max up this moring.

I have a couple extra fuel filters at home, just in case...

anyway....i will report what, if anything, happens with this tank...

on the way to work from the fillup...the DIC said i was getting 1.12 mpg more than what I would normally get on the DIC. we will see with hand calc tho at the end of this tank..

Is that enough?

:coffee: Wow Jim, now them are some damn good reasons NOT to use BIO.

Why wouldn't Sand Addiction mag do their homework before publishing the article? :dunno:

Doesn't sound like it's a good idea Cheese. Maybe you oughta get that chit outta there mang! :6pak:

One MAJOR problem I see with bio-diesel is that it uses food to make fuel. Not just food for people but food for cattle, pigs, chickens, turkeys and just about every other animal we eat. I wonder when all the feed the children people will start protesting the tree huggers?

My dad has a nissan patrol 2.8 6cyl turbo diesel in england and he runs it on 100% canola oil, he buys it in the restaurant market and it costs him half of what diesel is ($9+ a gallon for diesel now).

Its a simple mechanical injection and its been running perfect for 3 years now, it just wont start when its really cold as the oil is to thick.

I drove it for 2 weeks last time I went home, its a trip smelling like burnt fries everywhere you go!

My dad has a nissan patrol 2.8 6cyl turbo diesel in england and he runs it on 100% canola oil, he buys it in the restaurant market and it costs him half of what diesel is ($9+ a gallon for diesel now).

Its a simple mechanical injection and its been running perfect for 3 years now, it just wont start when its really cold as the oil is to thick.

I drove it for 2 weeks last time I went home, its a trip smelling like burnt fries everywhere you go!

yeah I might run it too on something like that, but not on a $50K truck with a much more advanced diesel engine that is still under warranty. Just my .02. :D

mmm I want some french frys now :coffee::dunno:

so running B20....a 20 percent blend of veg oil and 80 percent pet diesel will void my warranty?

i did notice a lot less clatter on the drive home last night from work. all i can hear now is the turbo spooling up, and ive got the PPE boost valve showing up in t he mail tomorrow....should be interesting

I say run it until your truck dies....Then take it to Jim. Before you take it in, drain all the fuel put normal diesel in it and play :afro: .................Now if they could make the exhaust smell like Pizaaz food we could all rock the Bio!!!!! :coffee:

after reading what sand snake and pimpshack said....i diligently researched it on dieselplace.com....the information i got said that anything more than 5% (b5) will void the fuel system warranty of my truck :coffee:

however...GM does have an option on the new diesels (lmm) to run up to 20% biodiesel....but is only for fleet and gubment vehicles

so, my mileage continues to go up a tad by what the DIC says.....usually with the predator on 85....i get somewhere in the 21-22 mpg range on average per tank (its off, as hand calc'd it ends up being 16-17, due to the tuner), and now it's reading in the 24's...it will be interesting to see what the hand calc is after this tank.

Is that enough?

Dayum....you're already over $7,000 before labor. :coffee:

:dunno: I wonder what a new engine would cost?

Dayum....you're already over $7,000 before labor. :coffee:

:dunno: I wonder what a new engine would cost?

new Duramax engine: about 8-9K

labor to put it in: about $3,000

There have been two instances where customers have had to pay for their own engine because GM would not warranty theirs due to aftermarket programmers (not bio fuel) causing engine damage. They have come to about 11-12K for the completed job. yikes.

yikes.....my I love my old mechanically injected cummins. Bio is fine for it, as I hear most meachanically injected motors. Its the newer "quiet" greener engines that have issues.

500 per injector? Dang my ddp 4's were about 100 each.

If you make your own bio you can get the cost way down, thats the general reasoning. And running veggie is different then bio, but still similar problems with the truck engines.

BTW, my wife was driving back from Havasu (after the triathlon I was pretty tired) and she got pulled over on the 215 for excessive smoke. She doesnt down shift much. When the female officer said, you know your smokng.....she replied with a giggle "its a deisel" She let us go with a warning after we explained she doent drive it that well.

Hey Cheese -

Friend of ours has a 2006 DMAX, and was using Biodiesel 20 for 6 months, said that initially he replaced his fuel filters and even had a fuel injector that went bad because of it being plugged with junk. He's ran over 50K miles was getting 2-3 miles per gallon more, and didnt see any big difference in pulling power. About a month ago with 74K on the truck, the engine light came on, and he was in the middle of pulling a grade in Washington, when the engine just stopped 15 seconds after the light came on. He as an extended warranty for up to 100K, the dealership said that his injector controller seals were gone, 5 of his injectors were bad, and because he was using biodiesel 20% they killed his warranty on the spot. His bill was $3890, plus he lost the remainder of his engine warranty for the next 25K miles. He got a Lawyer, and Chevy won, due to him using the bio fuel. He thinks the issues on his truck are based on the cold weather he was in prior to the issue happening, and the dealership said that they were getting 2-3 trucks a month, with bio fuel issues due to seals, and clogged injectors. The service manager told him that its likely that his motor will have suffered internal damage although not seen yet also due to what he called cold internal temps in the cyl chambers, which also changes the high side of compression, but the computer does not know your using non-standard burn rates, which means that the timing is off and the computer constantly tries to account for it, but cant. If he had been using the biofuel 5% I guess it does not have the same impact is what he was told, the warranty may have covered his issues. Anyway, I just called him and he passed this on for me to show what the dealership gave him for info on the biofuel. http://www.biodiesel.org/pdf_files/B5_warr...ement_32206.pdf

Edited by Sandpirates2

The logic of running it just astounds me becuase its the same price!!

So why even try it for no savings in the long run

whats up Bert??

the guys that are blending their own are making it for about a buck a gallon....which initially interested me. However, since my truck is still under warranty, i will stop with the biodiesel, until i can find viable replacements for the fuel system, so i can run biodiesel......this is assuming the current price of diesel stays the same, or goes higher, and people are still making biodiesel for around a buck a gallon.

Hey Cheese -

Friend of ours has a 2006 DMAX, and was using Biodiesel 20 for 6 months, said that initially he replaced his fuel filters and even had a fuel injector that went bad because of it being plugged with junk. He's ran over 50K miles was getting 2-3 miles per gallon more, and didnt see any big difference in pulling power. About a month ago with 74K on the truck, the engine light came on, and he was in the middle of pulling a grade in Washington, when the engine just stopped 15 seconds after the light came on. He as an extended warranty for up to 100K, the dealership said that his injector controller seals were gone, 5 of his injectors were bad, and because he was using biodiesel 20% they killed his warranty on the spot. His bill was $3890, plus he lost the remainder of his engine warranty for the next 25K miles. He got a Lawyer, and Chevy won, due to him using the bio fuel. He thinks the issues on his truck are based on the cold weather he was in prior to the issue happening, and the dealership said that they were getting 2-3 trucks a month, with bio fuel issues due to seals, and clogged injectors. The service manager told him that its likely that his motor will have suffered internal damage although not seen yet also due to what he called cold internal temps in the cyl chambers, which also changes the high side of compression, but the computer does not know your using non-standard burn rates, which means that the timing is off and the computer constantly tries to account for it, but cant. If he had been using the biofuel 5% I guess it does not have the same impact is what he was told, the warranty may have covered his issues. Anyway, I just called him and he passed this on for me to show what the dealership gave him for info on the biofuel. http://www.biodiesel.org/pdf_files/B5_warr...ement_32206.pdf

thanks for the info...pretty interesting story.

here is what i found in sandpirates info he posted above..

General Motors

B20

- Available as a Special Equipment

Option (SEO) on the 2008 Chevy

Silverado and GMC Sierra for approved

fleets

B5

- All other GM diesel vehicles

B20 SEO available to fleets on

the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine

in the 2008 Chevy Silverado

Heavy Duty, and GM Sierra

Heavy Duty One Ton Pickup.

http://media.gm.com/us/gmc/en/product_servic

es/r_cars/r_c_sierra/index%20HD.html

http://media.gm.com/us/chevrolet/en/product_

services/r_trucks/r_c_silverado/index%20HD.h

tml

http://www.gm.com/corporate/responsibility/en

vironment/news/2006/epa_smartway_102706.j

sp

8/1/07

Edited by richard cheese

If you want to save money and get good milage buy a VW diesel and run it on the cheapest veggie oil you can find.

I dont get why people would spend 40,50 or sh*t even 60+ K on a high tech electronic diesel truck and then get cheap on the fuel, at $4 a gallon its still dirt cheap at the pump and not worth the hassle and possible damage to save 50c a gal. Think about the peeps back in england spending $9 +.