Thoughts, prayers and anything else you believe in needed....

miss mich

Hi Everyone....

Just wanted to put a shout out and ask anyone and everyone to keep my family friend in your thoughts and prayers. :praying: He went out riding on Sunday with my husband and was heading towards Wagon Wheel in Hendo following the train tracks from Arrowhead Trail. We are not sure how it happened, but the family friend flipped off his quad, landed face down with his brand new quad upside down on top of him. He doesn't remember how or what happened. The only thing my husband said is he was ahead of him, went over the little hill caught a little air and turned to make sue he made it and didn't. He was taken to Sunrise trauma do to him having issues breathing when they were getting ready to transport him. My husband was freaked out about it.

Once at the hospital, it was determined that he had no feeling in his legs. They did a CT and found that he broke a couple of vertebrae in his back. They decided to do an MRI as well to check everything. They determined they would do surgery that night. The surgeon originally said the surgery would last 5-6 hours and that they would need to remove 2 ribs, the broken vertebrae and that he had a blood clot in his stomach. Surgery ended up lasting 7 hours, lost a lot of blood, only had 1 rib removed to get to vertebrae to remove broken ones and not sure if they got the blood clot or not. The recent update today was they put him in a drug induced coma to help him cope with the pain. However, they were supposed to cut back on the meds to pull him out of the coma, get him alert and remove the breathing tubes.

As though this isn't enough, his wife is 9 months pregnant and due any day and they have a 4 year old little girl. Once he pulls through the surgeries (more are expected don't know when) he will have a LONG recovery and or rehab.

I am not generally a praying person, but he needs anything and everything he can get to get him better.

Thanks all!!

Thanks for the thoughts so quickly.

Trust me, this accident has made me and my husband realize how quickly life can take a spin out of control.

We have an 8 year old and 5 year old that ride and we told them today that this is exactly why we tell them the quad is not a toy. Our friend wasn't even doing anything stupid and he ended up in the condition he is.

Oh, and I forgot to add he also tore the membrane around the spinal cord. Didn't tear the spinal cord, thank God. But only time will tell if he will walk again

:( woah! Sorry to hear that Michele. It's very scary when you think about how quickly these accidents things can happen.

I'll be thinking nothing but positive thoughts for him. Let me know if there is anything I can do for him or his family.

Prayers from this side also...Man.. sorry to hear this.. Hope for a speedy recovery and if anything is needed please post it up and I will do what I can.

Capt and family

That goes for me too. I'm so sorry this happened. I will pray for a fast recovery .

Im sorry about your friend! :thumb:

We will keep them in our prayers for a speedy recovery.

I have seen some riders go down very hard out in the desert just like your friend. They are riding today after some tough recoverys...

Keep the power of prayers up for them!!

Edited by Dune Family

Thank you to everyone for you well wishes, thoughts and prayers. :DDRrocks:

The latest as of today is they have taken him out of his drug-induced coma and trying to manage his pain the best they can. He has no memory at all of that day. Not coming to the house, going riding or even the crash. The only thing he remembered was his wife had a party that day. Still no feeling in his legs. Doctors are hoping that is still from the trauma of the accident. Could be because of the verterbrae being removed or the torn membrane around the spinal cord. Only time will tell. He may be able to get out of ICU this weekend. We will see.

I highly doubt he will EVER ride again. Don't think his wife or family will allow it. Might be posting his and his daughters quad on here at a later time.

Thank you to everyone for you well wishes, thoughts and prayers. :DDRrocks:

The latest as of today is they have taken him out of his drug-induced coma and trying to manage his pain the best they can. He has no memory at all of that day. Not coming to the house, going riding or even the crash. The only thing he remembered was his wife had a party that day. Still no feeling in his legs. Doctors are hoping that is still from the trauma of the accident. Could be because of the verterbrae being removed or the torn membrane around the spinal cord. Only time will tell. He may be able to get out of ICU this weekend. We will see.

I highly doubt he will EVER ride again. Don't think his wife or family will allow it. Might be posting his and his daughters quad on here at a later time.

You never know. People miraculously recover just fine in cases like this all the time. It is the last thing you could even think about him doing right now (riding), but you can't think about how bad of a condition riding has put him in now. You just have to take it a day at a time and focus on him getting better. Life does go on even after bad accidents like this and people do still ride if it is in their blood. People recover as I'm sure he will.

Thanks for the update Michele ;):D

I really hope he does make a full recovery, but from what I heard today, it is not looking good. The hospital had a social worker talk to his wife and told her to sign up for long term disability because he will never walk again. Now, this didn't come from the doctors directly. And it has only been 4 days since the accident and it is too soon to tell. His wife freaked and was to talk to the doctors today and find out WTF was going on.

If he does walk again, his family won't allow him to ride. I know that most people will get on and ride, but not him.

Thank you again to everyone. :dunno:

My thoughts and prayers go out to your friend and his family and friends. Cant imagine what they must be going thru. Hope the wife is attempting to keep her stress down as best she can being 9 months pregnant. Always hard to hear about someone getting hurt doing what they love.