Dog help?

Raptor0206

We just brought my yellow lab down from Minnesota after the 4th, she always sheds but it seems like its gotten wayyyyyy worse since she has been down here. I do not think its because of the heat because shes inside all the time and we have AC. Back home they didn't have AC so it was hotter back home for her. How do you guys deal with it down here? I comb her daily and it just keeps coming. Do people really shave labs down here? how about some "de-shedding" stuff? :(

thanks guys and gals!

We just brought my yellow lab down from Minnesota after the 4th, she always sheds but it seems like its gotten wayyyyyy worse since she has been down here. I do not think its because of the heat because shes inside all the time and we have AC. Back home they didn't have AC so it was hotter back home for her. How do you guys deal with it down here? I comb her daily and it just keeps coming. Do people really shave labs down here? how about some "de-shedding" stuff? :(

thanks guys and gals!

ok so this is a cat, but it worked for us

post-1646-1248742682_thumb.jpg

:P:laughoff::laughing:

lol it looks like a mini lion!

Stress causes dogs to shed too. With the new enviroment it may just have to get used to the new surroundings!

Diet changes can effect them too! Other than that I can't help!

I have a Husky/Australian Shepperd mix and she lots of hair. I had a vet tell me that dogs are actually cooler with more hair because it acts as an insulator. I don't care I shave that beotch down twice every summer because I can't take stand the shedding. For some reason it's really bad in the summer so I feel your pain! I don't care what the vet says she looks for comfortable shaved than full of hair! In the winter I brush her once in the morning and once at night and that makes a big difference in her shedding and the overall look of her.

go to pets mart.. Get the FURMINATOR grooming tool. IT WORKS AWESOME!! we comb our yellow lab out once a week with that and his shedding is minimal durning the week. If we dont do it for a couple weeks it gets thick again. the furminator is a great tool..

Had the same problem with my Aussie Cattle Dog/Lab mix.. and she spends ALOT of time in the pool... alot! Mike would clean the filter everyday and get out a small dog full of hair! EW!!!!

So after seeing Cole's dog shaved... we gave it a shot.. no more hair in the pool or in the house, she seems to enjoy it! We did have to leave the white tip on the end of her tail for balance though.. she now gets more height going into the pool as well... :laughing::laughoff:

post-2396-1248785451_thumb.jpg

Really though shaving is just about the only way you will remove the hair problem.

First off, It is NOT GOOD to shave a short haired dog. That hair call an undercoat is to help the stay cool and warm.

Second: Bath your dog once a week and get a slicker brush. Brush you dog everyday.

Third: Environment and diet changes will cause shedding or what is called (blowing coat). My two dogs, Belgian Malinois (they looking my German Shepards) blow coat twice a year and shed regularly.

Forth: Yea, it sucks but if your going to get a large dog,and don't like the shedding, then you should have gotten one with hair not fur.

DON'T SHAVE YOUR DOG. even if you shave it the fur is still there it is just smaller. So you will still be the shedding effect, just smaller pieces. I have friends that have Aussie's and Goldens. They shave them, but only to a puppy cut. Again, It is bad to shave a short haired dog. They are made that way for a reason.

Why you do I think I know so much........ Well I have shown dogs for 12 years.

:laughing:

Almost ever dog I have had has been SHAVED down in the summer and they have all been just fine. I actually noticed them have a little more bounce in them afterwords. Our two other dogs have such short hair shaving them would be pointless but I might just have to do it now. LOL

People will do what they do because it makes them happy and works for them, and not necessarily the animal. But, whatever, do what you will. Here's a couple of links that may make you think twice.

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/grooming.html

http://www.dogster.com/answers/question/sh...zona_heat-17576

Edited by desertskyz

It's ok to shave your kitty's though, right? I know that some members here shave theirs in the summer. Look at Paul he just showed a pic of his.

hummm lets see how long the moderators let this stay! lol :dunno:

It's ok to shave your kitty's though, right? I know that some members here shave theirs in the summer. Look at Paul he just showed a pic of his.

Oh I have ALLOT of pics of shaved kitties.......... :P:P

and yes all kitties should be shaved, or at least trimmed close :old::usa::dunno:

WAX.

Anyway I can empathize with you guys. Since it has been so hot and humid. I have had to bring my two 70 lbs beast in the house. My two stay out almost all of the time because they have the swamp cooler that works pretty good until it gets humid. Then is says :dunno: suffer. So in come the dogs. Well, it has been working pretty good today so they stayed out and I cleaned up giant dog fur dust bunnies most of the day. The stuff is everywhere.

Oh well, no biggie.