Sand withdrawals

dunefreak

It's getting to that point of summer. You think, "ok, we're almost through July so were over the hump". Then you realize there is still August, then September and usually a couple hot weeks to get through in October and it's finally dune season. This is about the time sand withdrawals kick in for me. I can feel it's about the same for everyone else. They get "dune turrets" and start shouting in the shoutbox about their urges and need for sand. laughing.gif

So what keeps you sane through the hot months? Is it the lake/ river? Is it kicking it at the pool? Air conditioned bars?

So far for me this summer it's been riding. When I say riding I mean my dual sport. I've grown rather addicted to the sport and the heat doesn't seem to bother me too much even when it's a little over 100 degrees out. I had a guy look at me like I was crazy at the gas station a couple of weeks ago. It was about 107 degrees when I pulled up to the pump. He looked at me weird and then a few minutes later he said, "how's THAT for conditioning huh?!" lol I say "I guess so. When your moving it's not that bad though." With the proper vented gear and lots of water, it's still fun.

Now that my bike is down for repairs, I'm starting to think more about the sand. I'm having withdrawals.

So let's hear what keeps everyone sane. Summertime usually kills the discussion on here and lately it is very...VERY quiet. What's up people? Are ya just staring at the wall in your air conditioned homes or are you like some of those people who sit on facebook wondering what kind of mood everyone is gonna be in next? OOOOO Johnny just posted a picture of his hamburger! Whoopity fuggin doooooooooo! freakin_nuts.giflaughing.gif

Well let's see. I need to get the car out and do a little maint. The rzr is pretty much ready to go, the motorhome needs to go to johnny Walkers for a generator problem and i don't want to do any of it cause it's to damm hot! Otherwise I keep somewhat busy with my volunteer activities. http://www.tipoflasvegas.org/indexjs.php if you want to join us we will be having a class in Sept. for new volunteers and it is a very fulfilling thing we do.

I am figuring I can hold out until mid Sept for my sand fix @ Coral Pink as I haven't been there in about 7 years and we want to go back in cooler weather. For now I hanging in the pool, running errands and just keeping busy living the life of a house husband. Nice work if you can get it LOL :ynot:

I have been working my Arse off lately. Aerospace is Rocking again! No work complaint only time constraints. I am planning a week to Pismo next month to get a nice relaxing week of Beach, Cool Weather and Sand Dunes. Anyone up for it I will post as I get closer. For now all I can do is Hit the Pool, Bar B Que and Hit the Local Lakes.

I was wondering when this thread would come up. Last few weeks I have been spending considerable time at the pool while cooking some good food on the grill. :cocktail: Been gearing up my rifle and other guns for the soon to be "zombie apocalypse" and doing lots of shooting at the various gun ranges here in town. :guns::laughing: Good thing is that next weekend is my family reunion and being that it's in Koosharem Utah (high of 80 degrees) I will actually get to do some riding in one of my favorite spots. It is so beautiful up there and I have not been in over a year so I'm looking for to it. You all should look into going there during the summer months. Other than that the summer has been mild so far considering we have not hit 110 temps yet otherwise I would be one very angry person right now. :pissed: :pissed:

Summer is my least favorite time of the year. My job requires that I have to get up in attics during the peak hours of the day and when temps are 110+ outside that means it reaches about 150 in the attic. Besides Vegas winters are perfect and very comfortable to me. Looking forward to dune season obviously and I have to admit that it seems to approach pretty darn fast every summer. :ban-split:

I am planning my trip to Oregon soon, will get a couple days in there. I am hoping to hit Coral Pink, but i am still more of a day tripper, and Coral Pink is too far. It's also still hitting 100*.

I went out the other day and started the bikes on the trailer in the garage. That didn't help.

This year we snuck over to Turks and Caicos for a week then back to the usual spots, Havasu and we get a couple weeks at San Clemente / San Mateo campgrounds where I drop the family / RV off and head to work. I really want to pull off an August night ride again this year as I'm needin' a dune fix more than usual. Summer is my busy season and I have really enjoyed this year as the kids have started riding along with me and they are finaly old enough to put to work :beercheers:

Edited by raspadoo

So far a few shows, Authority Zero, TSOL and looking forward to Coyote Country Fest with Dirks in August.

A day at the river.

We have 4 birthdays in July and August. Good lord my kids turning 21 this year :dope:

Our trip to Coral for the Fourth broke up the summer slump.

Nothing planned for the rest of the summer, but we are spur of the moment kind of people, so who knows what will happen.

NOTHING~ Even Dune season doesn't look promising. Charlie now works in Elko and living in our hauler, could be up to 2 years and 6 days a week w/ 10-12 hr days. Looks like I'll be taking trips up to see him plus spending my vacations up there too.

NOTHING~ Even Dune season doesn't look promising. Charlie now works in Elko and living in our hauler, could be up to 2 years and 6 days a week w/ 10-12 hr days. Looks like I'll be taking trips up to see him plus spending my vacations up there too.

THat's going to very strange. Hope we can atleast get Xmas trip in with you.

Working and more working...Good thing i guesss..I am heading to Vegas august 3rd for 2 days to drink my pain away, then straight to Kern river for 4 days of river rat heaven!

I have been busy with my job at Playboy and my EMT side jobs on the weekends, I also laid low to pay off my 2 loans that were killing me for years, ready to re up on some toys soon.

My kids play soccor and baseball at the same time so that is also a time killer, but great to see them active and enjoying themselves!

I did go to Pismo a few weeks back to help tune my boys drag bike, that place is fun in the sun..

Saint Anthon's for 4 days and Oregon Dunes for 4 more days took care of my summer sand fix. A lot of driving between but it was well worth it to spend time with Rocket and Bride and other friends for 17 days. Just got back yesterday! No pix but lots of Video. :beercheers::usa:

Next year it's probably only St anthony for more days, really like that place. Lots of riding and a lot less driving!

Also, Randy VW was in the area and stopped by for a day ride with us. He and his family were on vacation too.

:old:

Edited by sandawg

We try to fill our summers with trips to the water :boat: . Usually hit Mead, Shaver Lake, Lake success, etc. We decided to meet up with some friends last weekend @ the river. We stayed just out of Laughlin.

Saturday, we headed down to Pirates Cove; we were navigating the shallow spots pretty well, until we were awestruck by the nicer homes in one stretch...next thing I knew, my depth finder said 2 ft, I looked down, and :shocked: rocks. I slammed it in nuetral, but it was too late. We hit em pretty hard, and jacked up the props....yah, duoprop, so $1600 later, I should be back to normal. My fault...let my guard down for 20 seconds :dope:

I snapped of a couple of pics of 1 of the props, on my phone, to share. They're both this bad :banghead: We had to get up river...the boat vibrated like a jackhammer, so that was it for the weekend.

post-6067-0-88107600-1311631785_thumb.jp

post-6067-0-04620100-1311631788_thumb.jp

Wow that was a few chunks taken there. How are the shafts are they bent also? Could have been worse.

It certainly could have been worse. We had 6 adults + my son on board when we hit; I immediately flipped on the bildge thinking I'd sunk the whole thing. Nothing pumped out though, so I knew we weren't too bad. In fact, got it on the trailer, and not even a scratch on the hull...just the props got jacked...a few tiny nicks on the skag, shafts look fine; but nothing cracked, nothing dripping oil...very thankful :thumb:

Well to keep from thinking about sand I have been watching my youngest grandson play in the 12 year old little League state Championship series at Silverado field near the South Point Hotel.Went tonight to watch them beat Carson City for the second time and winning the State of Nevada Championship!! Onto San Bernardino for the western States Playoffs and if they are good enough to win there then it's off to Williamsburg, PA for the 12 yr. old World series. Good Luck Silverado!!