Vegas to Dumont...

Cole

Man this was the first trip with our new(to us) 30' WW and I have a few questions.

It was loaded with a Rhino, bike, full 120 gallon water, 36 gallon fuel station. I am pulling it with a Dodge Mega cab diesel on 37's. The motor is stock. My question is what speed are you guys pulling the hill from blue diamond into Pahrump. I was holding 50mph screaming averaging 4mpg. You guys???

Is there a way to water up closer to dumont?

thx

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man this was the first trip with our new(to us) 30' WW and I have a few questions.

It was loaded with a Rhino, bike, full 120 gallon water, 36 gallon fuel station. I am pulling it with a Dodge Mega cab diesel on 37's. The motor is stock. My question is what speed are you guys pulling the hill from blue diamond into Pahrump. I was holding 50mph screaming averaging 4mpg. You guys???

thx

Where are you coming from? We live in the northwest and even though it takes longer we go the back way into Pahrump and then through Shashone, you could get water in Pahrump.

We were all in the same boat this trip. Your mpg seem way low though. That cummins will get better mpg when it gets some miles on it. I only ran 8.5 to 9.5 mpg and I usually run 12.5 to 13 towing with my cummins

Cole, whatever you do, don't fill your fresh water in Tecopa. That water smells like sulfer (rotten eggs). It's very very bad unless you don't mind smellin' funky after a shower. Also although you can dump your black and grey water there the locals tend to get a little upset. I have a family member who is on the Inyo County board of supervisors and she just got back from a meeting in Death Valley. Basically their feelings were "F#%^ the duners! We wish they would fall off the face of the Earth" It would greatly help our situation to keep them from complaining to BLM about the trash and sewer that is dumped in their town and on the side of the highway if everyone not going thru Baker could either go through Shoshone and stop in Paruhmp spelling? or wait till you get back home to dump your sewer and trash.

i run that hill with about 16,000 lbs and i usually do 45 to 55 depending on time of year(egt's)

usually average to dumont and back 11.5 mpg approx. get guages ( egt's,boost) so you dont melt your motor.

took my about 30 gal there and back this time(wow) usually can do it with 20gal.

Capt

I am coming from SE head west on Blue Diamond. Where in Pahrump? What about that Hot Springs in Tecopa? Can we fill and dump there?

There is a turn off on the left to go to Shashone and a terrible herbst gas station on the right, about 1 block behind the gas station there is a trailer park, you might be able to fill there.

I pull that hill around the same speed (50 ish) pulling my 35 footer. I don't even look at the mileage when pulling hills. I am just glad I can pull the mph I do regradless of my mpg. :thumb:

Full of water or not, I bet you will pull the hill the same speed. Heavy is heavy. :beercheers:

Cole, whatever you do, don't fill your fresh water in Tecopa. That water smells like sulfer (rotten eggs). It's very very bad unless you don't mind smellin' funky after a shower. Also although you can dump your black and grey water there the locals tend to get a little upset. I have a family member who is on the Inyo County board of supervisors and she just got back from a meeting in Death Valley. Basically their feelings were "F#%^ the duners! We wish they would fall off the face of the Earth" It would greatly help our situation to keep them from complaining to BLM about the trash and sewer that is dumped in their town and on the side of the highway if everyone not going thru Baker could either go through Shoshone and stop in Paruhmp spelling? or wait till you get back home to dump your sewer and trash.

I don't understand why they don't take advantage of the possible business revenue the duners could bring them. Oh well.

I don't even look at the mileage when pulling hills. I am just glad I can pull the mph I do regradless of my mpg. :barf:

Full of water or not, I bet you will pull the hill the same speed. Heavy is heavy. :watching:

I feel the same way.....especially since I have the 6.0l gasser....I am happy to make it up and over. My truck usually cycles between 35 and 50 at the worst part. Ironically I pull the same speed full or empty on water also.

I get water at the Valero right off the freeway.

Coming from Vegas your gonna go past the right turn but sure beats caring all that water from home....

Its right across from Dennis.

Coming from the direction he is, he'd have to pass Dumont and go into Baker.

oh ok.... I thought the vegas crowd came in from the 15 as well...

My bad.... :barf:

It's all good. Some of us do come in from the 15, but the Pahrump way is a little quicker. It just has less services. They end up coming in from the opposite end of the 127 via Shoshone or Tecopa. :watching:

Can someone tell me why a diesel is better then a v10, seems you are going thru the same problems with a diesel then i would with a v10, mileage,power, length of drive before i have to fill up again, and one of the problems i had with my 1500 was when the wind kicked up it would drink like a SOB..

IN the market for a dieasel so just asking, please dont turn this into a Big Arss thread, i know you guy's can tell why they are better?

Sorry to get off topic

Biggest advantage of a diesel is torque and the longevity of the motor. Milage is way better in a diesel. A v10 towing will never do better then 9-10mpg

easy power adders for hp and torque with a duramax you are able to go from say 300hp to 500 hp just with a program (same for fords and dodgespretty much) gassers are not as easy to produce hp gains.

easy to control egt's in a diesel, mileage towing and not, ability to smoke them out with a great smoke tune :D

like stated above huge hp and huge torque (once you drive a diesel you wont go back to a gasser)

Capt

thx

most likely your running a 3:70 to 1 gear ratio pushing 37" tires you will go faster up the hill and get better milage with 4:11to 1 gear ratio. your crippling your trucks pulling power by not re gearing.

i run 38 toyos on an 04 so mine makes less power than your new megecab and the difference was big when i dumped my 370s and put in mopar 411s

also your milage counter on the overhead is most likely incorrect big tires throw off your milage counter and your speedo by about 5mph or more.and your milage by roughly 3mpg to your favor

it costs roughly 1600 dollars on a 4x4 about 800 per pumpkin well worth it the 411s turn your trucks road ratio back to what it was with 370s and stock tires

Edited by barefoot bob

I don't understand why they don't take advantage of the possible business revenue the duners could bring them. Oh well.

From what I understand they are just really too lazy to try and take advantage of anything that would involve work. While everyone else was bitching about the people going through town there was one guy sitting in the back that looked like he had 10 years worth of experience as a Tweeker, and sounded like he had been smoking that funny green stuff all day. The smartest comment to come from any of the locals was from him. "Seems to me after watching all them big fancy rigs goin' through town somebody could make some pretty good money if the had something that they wanted." All I have to say is that I agree. Although they wouldn't be able to fill fresh water tanks there they could definately put in a store for those last minute oopsies we forgot this or that and include a sewer dump station and trash dumpsters. I bet everyone would be willing to pay $5 bucks to dump sewer and $5 bucks to dump your trash right? That was my thought on the subject.

It's all good. Some of us do come in from the 15, but the Pahrump way is a little quicker. It just has less services. They end up coming in from the opposite end of the 127 via Shoshone or Tecopa. :shake:

I beg to differ we dont have less services than Baker. If you guys want you can fill up ath the main fire station with water they dont mind as long as you dont block the bays and let them get out. It is located at the north end of town just go through the two stop lights and you will see it on the left. The water that the dont mind people using is on the front of the west building. If you have any questions just ask them. You can also use the septic dump at Saddle west, it'll cost you $10 but its worth it if you need it. If you guys need anymore info on pahrump let me know. I live there.

I beg to differ we dont have less services than Baker. If you guys want you can fill up ath the main fire station with water they dont mind as long as you dont block the bays and let them get out. It is located at the north end of town just go through the two stop lights and you will see it on the left. The water that the dont mind people using is on the front of the west building. If you have any questions just ask them. You can also use the septic dump at Saddle west, it'll cost you $10 but its worth it if you need it. If you guys need anymore info on pahrump let me know. I live there.

I'm talking about highway services. I would rather break down on the 15 than the road through Tecopa.