tipping, when do you do it?

dunefreak

OK, this is sort of a rant. There was a similar thread a while back, but I don't even know where it is anymore. So here it goes....

Anna and I had free tickets to go see Dane Cook last night at Mandalay Bay. :banghead: When we got there we wented to grab a few beers before we went to our seats.

We waited in one of the ridiculously overpriced beer lines. Now first off let me explain how this beer line worked. There were small portable carts on wheels with plastic bottles of beer and a few random mixed drinks that were available. This was not your traditional large bar where there was a bunch of people crowded around fighting to gain the bartenders attention for a drink. The guy serving the drinks simply would pour a drink or open a beer bottle, collect the money, and say "next". When we finally approached the front of the line, which seemed like it took forever because the "bartender" felt the need to get all chatty :undecided: with the clubber hoes in front of us, we ordered 4 beers. They were 7 bucks a piece. No big deal. I suck it up every time I go to a show or concert on the strip.

Here is my rant. After the part-time douchbag bartender unscrewed the 4 caps from the plastic 7 dollar beer bottles, I paid him $28. After that I grabbed the beers and said politely said thanks. He also said thanks in return. When I turned around he says "STIFF!". I wanted to go off on this penus-less jerk, but instead I just turned my head slightly to him and said "YEP".

Ya know I am all for tipping a bartender or whoever the person may be when it is deserved. People (especially in Vegas on the strip) are forgetting that it is exactly that....A TIP. It is for extra good service. It's not like the guy poured me an extra special drink or even did anything to earn a tip. I have tipped in the past for no reason at all. I have thought about it afterwards and flat out felt like a dumbass for doing it too. I work hard for my money. Why the hell should some guy get a dollar or even two for simply unscrewing a bottle? :headbang1: that.

ok....rant off. :rockwoot::laughing:

I know what you mean, when we go to dinner, we base the tip on the service that we receive. If they give us good service they usually get 20% if the give us ok service they get 10 or 15% depending. I have tipped less for being ignored and nothing at all for crappy service.

my wife is a former food server. before I met her, i hardly ever tipped. now, at least 15% for meals, and that is if the food server sucks :undecided:

Bartenders, if they are good and attentive to your needs, 2-5 bucks a round, depending on how good they are.

but what you described there Pete is much like a fuggin beer line @ a football game. NO TIP......and that guy had the BALLZ to call you out? :rockwoot:

douche bag :headbang1:

you've got some good self-control Pete, cause I woulda been all over that azzhoe.....all the way up to his manager. that's just me in certain situations.

good job on the self-control tho :banghead: you have a dvd on that? :laughing:

I tip based on the bartenders service.. IE.. sitting at the airport at midnight i walk up to the bar ask for a redbull and vodka he asks single or double.. i say single cuz i dont want to start stumblin too fast.. well while he's pouring the drink he goes that was a single right... oops my bad guess you got a double :P Homie got a good tip.. Needless to say by the time i hit the plane i had the wobbles.. it was awesome.. I tipped that guy well.

If at a restraunt if the waitress goes above and beyond i will leave a tip above and beyond if it was mediocre service then i just leave the usual buck or 2.. I have been known to call out an employee for incredibly horrible service and do the same for exceptional service.. I will ask for their manager and tell it like it is. What happens to the employee is not my problem.

In your situation pete i probably would have done the same thing.. Turned around and gave him a Thats Fuggggin right.. and as im walkin down the beer line mention it to a few other people in the line to make sure they "STIFF" that a$$hat as well. Give the guy a little lesson on service..

my wife is a former food server. before I met her, i hardly ever tipped. now, at least 15% for meals, and that is if the food server sucks :banghead:

Bartenders, if they are good and attentive to your needs, 2-5 bucks a round, depending on how good they are.

but what you described there Pete is much like a fuggin beer line @ a football game. NO TIP......and that guy had the BALLZ to call you out? :rockon:

douche bag :rockwoot:

you've got some good self-control Pete, cause I woulda been all over that azzhoe.....all the way up to his manager. that's just me in certain situations.

good job on the self-control tho :pissed: you have a dvd on that? :headbang1:

Did you get all up in arms over CHEESE DION? :D o... wait .......you didnt go now did you lol :undecided:

Just remember....IT AINT EASY BEING CHEESIE.....

:laughing:

Capt

Funny, but I can totally see you there saying "YEP".

:laughing:

Tipping is lame these days. I hate it. I feel like I need to explain to them why they aren't getting 15% if I thought they didn't do a good job. But that is lame too.

Last week the wife and I had dinner at a nice place. Ordered a New York steak and it was pretty fatty. Another waitress picked up our plates, and I mentioned to her to let the cook know the steak wasn't up to par. She started arguing with me. :headbang1: It wasn't even her table. Just take the comment. Nod your head and say thanks.

GREAT food, GREAT service=GREAT tip!! LOUSY service=LOUSY tip, no matter if the food was good or not. (The waitress didn't make it, just carried it to the table!)

I must agree, I think, and maybe it's because we live in Vegas, everyone seems to have a hand out. Went to Sam's Club today to pick up youngest's birthday cake. There is a Kettle Corn booth out front with a tip jar sitting on the counter. So, I pay the guy $5 bucks for a bag of popped corn AND I should give him a tip for putting it in a bag so that I CAN pay $5 to take it home?!? I think NOT!! That's :laughing:

I know, there's a tip jar everywhere you go - the local sandwich shop, Starbucks, etc. It seems to be never ending. I used to wait tables in college and worked hard for my tips. So, I'm supposed to tip someone a couple bucks for just doing their job. They didn't even have to walk somewhere to deliver it???

:chug:

i tip 15% if the service is good or fair more if they are exceptional

i tip nothing for bad service perioud i wouldnt tip a beer line :chug: him stinkin beggar.

tips are not a right they are a priveledge that must be earned.

i dont care if the food service industry is tough. get out or work hard and earn it. its not hard really be pleasent and do your best a person can see when someones atitude is suxor. i have had waitreses warn me that there swamped but they'r doing there best and i certainly tip them. even if it takes a lil while to get somthing.

thats dune money they want me to share it they need to be nice :chug:

merry christmas

I know, there's a tip jar everywhere you go - the local sandwich shop, Starbucks, etc. It seems to be never ending. I used to wait tables in college and worked hard for my tips. So, I'm supposed to tip someone a couple bucks for just doing their job. They didn't even have to walk somewhere to deliver it???

:chug:

No sh*t.....9 bucks for two cups of coffee at starbucks or 15 buck for two subs at subway and they want a tip!!!! Ah..no!

nowadays people expect a tip for doing nothing more than their jobs.

If the service is good then I will tip them. If I get bad service then I won't tip them. that is just the way it is.

a tip is suppose to represent that you are happy with the service that you got. not something that should be

expected from you.

i have always tipped, and quite well...even more so than others. but when i was up in wisconson a few months ago, i was in the NCO Club on base have some beers and Red Bulls and Vodka's. well iam STILL at the bar, and this stupid Wisconsonite actually started to complain that i havent tipped her yet..SHE ACTUALLY SAID THAT!...i looked at her and said....."does it look like iam going to leave yet? i just ordered 2 double R/B Vodkas!?!?!?!?" iam not going anywhere yet...well anyway i kept on drinking...another 5 or more drinks...cant really remember...and went back to settle up my tab...paid the tab and left her 5 bucks....she gave me a funny look, and i said " not a bad tip for a 200.00 dollar tab huh?"..."just imiganie that it would have been 10 times that had you been nice"

i dont mind tipping, just do your job and dont EXPECT it. i tip for their service, not their product, ill buy their product.

i have actually tipped 50.00 bucks to a Chef before over at Roys Steakhouse, and the same to the waiter....great service, great food!

i am not aware of the laws in NV, but i know in CA, waitresses get taxed a certain percentage on their daily sales receipts.

the question is this....if they know they are getting taxed on their tips, why would they do something stupid to not get a good tip? i know there are those people who will NEVR be satisfied, but it can more than be made up with the rest of the folks