RIP Cody Herring

My4DrGSR

Saturday, August 16th, at just after 11 am, a good friend and great person all around was taken away from us. He'd recently been married to another good friend, Ashleigh, just 2 weeks earlier. Some of you might have seen it on the news, I heard there was a blurb, but here's an article.

http://www.klas-tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8855213

Since all the news concentrated on was the empty explosives container and how the area was evacuated, I just want to share some things about the person whose life was taken.

Cody was one of the most caring, happy-go-lucky people I've ever known. If you ever needed help with anything he was right there in an instant. He was in the Red Horse squadron of the Air Force, same as the military group we ride with, so if you see or talk to any of them give them your love, we've all been over with the family holding each other together. When Cody and our friend Ashleigh met, they together were even more happy and goofy than they already were apart. The perfect match. He has a wonderful family, His mom, his dad, his stepdad, and 2 brothers and 2 sisters, along with his new bride, that already miss him so much, and my heart goes out to all of them, this has been a very rough weekend, and the pain is not even close to subsiding.

I'm sorry to bring sad news, but he was a great guy and will be terribly missed by MANY. He was only going around the corner to the Verizon store on his Harley, and now he's gone. He's been to Iraq several times, the last time on a Convoy team, which is even more dangerous. He always kept his group laughing no matter where they were stationed, and kept them all from being scared or depressed, from all of the stories we’ve all heard before, and the memories we’re hearing again now. He just re-upped in the service, and him and his new bride and their 3 dogs were on their way to Germany in October. They were waiting to go on their honeymoon until they relocated.

Edited by My4DrGSR

Guest Crasher

I'm glad you posted this Amanda. First of all, I'm so sorry for your loss, but I'm thankful that Ashleigh has such good friends in this really difficult time. We only got to hang out with Codi and Ashleigh a few times, but they are both great people and he will be missed terribly. Like I said, let us know what we can do, if anything. Hang in there. :(

Second of all, that article is horrible and makes him sound like a terrorist or something. How absolutely disrespectful. :mischevious: Media should do research on an incident before it goes to print. For everyone that doesn't know, he was in the miltary and his job was in demolition, so it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for him to have had those materials on his person. I hope they clear this up. It's already tough enough for Cody's family and friends, but to have this kind of stuff in the paper, is just plain wrong.

Prayers to all of you. I have been thinking of all of you non-stop. :bawl:

Edited by Crasher

Thanks for posting this Amanda. I thought about it, but wasnt sure. I just heard yesterday and when Jackie told me it was like a punch in the stomach, wind knocked outta me. I can only imagine what Ashleigh is going thru. Its just so unbelievable this happened. I hadnt heard about it on the news. I certianly hope the military is going to step up and make the news make an apology and correct their BS info. If there is anything at all I can do, please let me know. Im waiting to here from John about the memorial. :(

RIP Cody!! My heart and prayers are with Ashleigh, family and friends.

Thanks everyone, you guys have been great. Yeah the media is BS. Ironic how they have a story about his squadron leaving again, and the show/luncheon they had, that Ash and Code were supposed to attend:

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/Global/story.as...p;nav=menu102_2

But his article concentrates on the stinkin empty explosive. He wasn’t deploying to Iraq this time since he rec’d orders to Germany, but that’s his squadron.

I emailed 4 of the news stations about it, basically told them a shorter summary of what I wrote above, but I doubt they’ll do anything about it. Who knows.

RIP Brother and my prares go out to the family.

My mom is a officer at North Las Vegas and said the guy that pulled in front of him causing the accident was a 75 year old man. The guy was proably incapable to drive and should not have even been on the road! It just makes me sick to my stomach!

That really is too bad! after serving safely in Iraq multiple times to have his life taken by some stupid preventable accident. And then the media...shiat.....F*CK THE MEDIA! I can't even explain how badly this p*sses me off!

My heart goes out to his friends and family and especially to his new bride.....

This was either a horrible accident OR divine intervention.

that is a quote in the comment section of the clipping. sheeple, wow amazing.

will they have a funeral for the ammo can or put it in jail.

that it seems is where the concern lies .anything for a story.

very tragic all the way around unacceptable........................

rip

Edited by barefoot bob

Guest Crasher

that is a quote in the comment section of the clipping. sheeple, wow amazing.

will they have a funeral for the ammo can or put it in jail.

that it seems is where the concern lies .anything for a story.

very tragic all the way around unacceptable........................

rip

I just saw that comment. :hungry: The paper needs to redact that story immediately. How absolutely disrespectul to Cody and his family!!! Just a complete shame. The media cares nothing more than a "juicy" story. Why can they not make it right now and write things about celebrating the life of someone who was a GREAT guy and protected our country? Or what about his young bride who has just lost the love of her life??? It's the right thing to do. :grin:

I didn't see that until ya'll pointed it out. I clicked on the "It's offensive" link, it didn't make it go away though lol. The lady from that site did write me back:

Thanks for writing. He sounds like a wonderful person. Unfortunately, the story of his passing did focus more on the explosive container, because Metro treated it like a live explosive. I will do my best to update the website story.

She did change the online story slightly, I didn't think she would, but as I was writing this she wrote back and told me she added he'd already served in Iraq and that he leaves behind several family members including a new bride.

The service will be on base at 2 pm tomorrow. I can't remember if anyone else on here had asked me about it, so PM me if you need more details. You have to be on a list or arrive with someone military to get on base, so get back to me if you need to be added to the list.

Last night we went to one of our fave places, Scoundrels, put a ton of 'Cody' songs on the Juke Box, the 2 bartenders there who knew and loved him as well bought us drinks and we drank his faves with him (Ash ordered one for her and for him.) It was just a handful of us but then the rest of the group showed up and we all told funny memories and hugged and laughed and cried, and got yelled at 'Cody wouldn't want us to cry in our beers' so we did more laughing and hugging instead, tryin to choke back t he tears. I looked around and for a moment it looked like old times, but it was just missing one goofy grin and booming laugh. That was also the place where Code and Ash met, in the infamous (to us lol) 'Hurricane of Cash'. There are no words anyone can tell her to make anything feel better for her, there's only time, but she's surrounded by loving family and friends, and we are trying to be the glue that Cody once was to so many.

I didn't see that until ya'll pointed it out. I clicked on the "It's offensive" link, it didn't make it go away though lol. The lady from that site did write me back:

Thanks for writing. He sounds like a wonderful person. Unfortunately, the story of his passing did focus more on the explosive container, because Metro treated it like a live explosive. I will do my best to update the website story.

She did change the online story slightly, I didn't think she would, but as I was writing this she wrote back and told me she added he'd already served in Iraq and that he leaves behind several family members including a new bride.

The service will be on base at 2 pm tomorrow. I can't remember if anyone else on here had asked me about it, so PM me if you need more details. You have to be on a list or arrive with someone military to get on base, so get back to me if you need to be added to the list.

Last night we went to one of our fave places, Scoundrels, put a ton of 'Cody' songs on the Juke Box, the 2 bartenders there who knew and loved him as well bought us drinks and we drank his faves with him (Ash ordered one for her and for him.) It was just a handful of us but then the rest of the group showed up and we all told funny memories and hugged and laughed and cried, and got yelled at 'Cody wouldn't want us to cry in our beers' so we did more laughing and hugging instead, tryin to choke back t he tears. I looked around and for a moment it looked like old times, but it was just missing one goofy grin and booming laugh. That was also the place where Code and Ash met, in the infamous (to us lol) 'Hurricane of Cash'. There are no words anyone can tell her to make anything feel better for her, there's only time, but she's surrounded by loving family and friends, and we are trying to be the glue that Cody once was to so many.

Those kinds of "wakes" are really the ones that count. Hanging out with those who knew him the best and talk about good old times. It's hard and very sad, but you have to focus on the happiness that person brought to you and everyone else's lives. Recently we did just that for my good friend's girlfriend who also very sadly passed at a young age. :(

Amanda, do you have a pic of him you could post up?

Here is a pic of Cody and Ashleigh from Amargosa this last february. Also are a couple pics I took of Nicoles my space page. Great guy and its really sad he was taking to young. To have survived serving his country in Iraq only to be taking this way. :(

post-432-1219201195_thumb.jpg

post-432-1219201217_thumb.jpg

post-432-1219201236_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sincity_blondie

Yeah Pete, thats exactly it. I have tons of great pics, but I have to use a proxy to get on here at all at work(shhh) that doesn't allow me to upload anything. I haven't been home much all week except to pass out in my clothes and get up, shower, and run off the next day. Thanks for posting a couple Stacey.

The service was awesome, one of our buddies stayed up late the night before and made a slideshow to Cody's music of pics of him with family, his squadron/friends, and the rest of us. A few of his closest Red Horse buddies spoke. Aside from the stupid Commander calling him Cory at least five times in his lil retarded speach (what an idiot,) the rest of the service was beautiful. Here's his memorial in the paper:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/obituaries/in...?obitID=4359885

If you read some of the first comments you see that parents of friends that haven't even met him know all about him. The whole family and Ash are all doing pretty good, we've all been together as much as we can all week. Most of the family return to their homes outside of Las Vegas tomorrow or this weekend.

Some of his Red Horse squadron deployed last night (the service was scheduled quickly to accomodate them,) with the rest deploying in 2 weeks to Iraq again. Please keep your thoughts with them, as many of them are saddened and weekened by the loss of their good friend, the 'glue' for many of them.