Off the Strip

sand chick

Soooo I guess I am still learning the ways of Vegas.... been here for a year now...

Well my parents are going to be in town Sat Sun and Mon...

So I am going to be doing that tourist thing with them, and of course they have been here before, so they don't care about the strip and have been there done that! They are the adventurous type, so I had been trying to find stuff to do with them..

Someone told them the Hoover Dam tour was way cool..

I had planned a short Red Rock Hiking trip into check out the waterfall

I was talking to a friend of mine last night and he suggested Bonnie Springs...then I asked him what that was..why the heck had I never heard of this place before!!!???? Looks really cool!!

So I thought maybe there may be some other things that I hadn't heard of that were off the strip that were cool places to go close to home and when you can't get to Dumont!

Maybe just maybe some others have some ideas of cool things to do off the strip... and not in a bar!!

Edited by sand chick

Soooo I guess I am still learning the ways of Vegas.... been here for a year now...

Well my parents are going to be in town Sat Sun and Mon...

So I am going to be doing that tourist thing with them, and of course they have been here before, so they don't care about the strip and have been there done that! They are the adventurous type, so I had been trying to find stuff to do with them..

Someone told them the Hoover Dam tour was way cool..

I had planned a short Red Rock Hiking trip into check out the waterfall

I was talking to a friend of mine last night and he suggested Bonnie Springs...then I asked him what that was..why the heck had I never heard of this place before!!!???? Looks really cool!!

So I thought maybe there may be some other things that I hadn't heard of that were off the strip that were cool places to go close to home and when you can't get to Dumont!

Maybe just maybe some others have some ideas of cool things to do off the strip... and not in a bar!!

Not many folks know of Bonnie Springs, we go like every 3 months or so (kids) they have a old train you can ride on, shoot outs, and country stores etc, and of course the mutant petting zoo :beercheers:. During the summer time they do plays out there as well.

Bonnie springs is a must... I have been going there since I was a little girl and I still enjoy going there. They have yummmy burgers and they have a bar if you want to grab a beer too!!!! You can do horseback riding there but I would recommend the place on the Way to Red Rock they go on a way cool ride !!!! Lake Mead has some pretty cool things too oh and Lake Las Vegas is a good place...... :beercheers::dope:

OH! Lunch at Mt Charleston Lodge, never thought of that!!

Horseback riding...hmmmm I never thought of that!! I think that sounds like a cool idea for a weekend day get together trip for something different to do.. where is that??

you could hike down to the colorado river.... either from the ringbolt rapids side or the black canyon side... its really nice this time of year, and there are hot springs at the bottom! =)

8-13-2007-22.jpg

p258532-Las_Vegas_NV-Hiking_in_Gold_Strike_Canyon.jpg

Heres a link to the Black Canyon parking area

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=U...mp;t=h&z=19

Edited by Vegas250rr

you could hike down to the colorado river.... either from the ringbolt rapids side or the black canyon side... its really nice this time of year, and there are hot springs at the bottom! =)

8-13-2007-22.jpg

p258532-Las_Vegas_NV-Hiking_in_Gold_Strike_Canyon.jpg

Heres a link to the Black Canyon parking area

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=U...mp;t=h&z=19

Jeremy, Is that hike open now? I know they had it closed for the bridge construction a while ago. Its a great hike though its tough in a couple spots.

to my knowledge the trail has always been open. if there is a gaurd at the turnoff, you have to tell him that you are hiking and NICELY request access... other than that I wouldnt know, thats all I did the last time I went there (last spring)

Something that's not a bar? :booty::dope::pics: Hmmm can't think of anything :rockwoot:

:beercheers:

:blah::lol::lol::lol:

I was wondering when someone was going to chime in with that!! In this economy..if I wanna drink I'll stay home and drink at cost instead of $5.00 a beer! :pics::laughing:

I just think its cool that we have so many things to go and do either with your families or friends that is off the strip... Since I haven't been here long and I am sure that others on the board who maybe coming to town, would like to know some of the local hot spots that are less traveled and not so overwhelmed by people...

It seemed though that everyone was out and about this weekend..

We ended up Hoover Dam on Sat and Hooters for dinner.. ok ok so it was Dan Marino's not quite on the strip but within walking distance of thier hotel..

Sunday, we spent all day in Red Rock and didn't make it to Bonnie Springs..the waterfall at the end of Lost Creek Trail is flowing nicely..if you haven't seen it yet it really is worth it!! I will post pics up tonight of it.

Then Sunday night, we did hit the strip since none of us had seen the water show at the Belligio..and as we were walking there we were constantly reminded of why we were avoiding the strip :pics:

I still think there are some more places out there to do..keep the ideas coming

And where can I find that horseback riding??? i haven't been on a hossie in years and I think it would be a blast!!

go carts! lol (there's the cheap but fun smelly place on Rainbow, then 2 kickazz places: fastlap and pole position), Mt Charleston, Redrock (which you already did), Wranglers hockey games, ? ?

I know you said off the strip, but a really good show is at the Mirage. Terry Fator. He's a very good ventriloquist. He's entertaining and pretty funny. You guys should like it. http://www.mirage.com/entertainment/terry-fator.aspx

If none of that sounds good, there's always the bar! Oh wait, you said no bar. :rockwoot::beercheers:

I still think there are some more places out there to do..keep the ideas coming

And where can I find that horseback riding??? i haven't been on a hossie in years and I think it would be a blast!!

Over the "hump" to Pahrunp to visit the Pahrump Valley Vinyards is a cool day/evening trip. A nice dinner is possible and wine tasting. Check to see if they still do those things. I was there several years ago and it was cool!

Edited by SANDAWG

I'm not sure what the place is called but its on the way to Red Rock its on the left hand side after you get out of town before Red Rock.. I'm not sure if that helps you out... Let me know maybe we can plan a day out of it... Pack a lunch and some beers and ride in the west like cowboys yeee hawwwww!!!! :beercheers: except on a horse....

I'm not sure what the place is called but its on the way to Red Rock its on the left hand side after you get out of town before Red Rock.. I'm not sure if that helps you out... Let me know maybe we can plan a day out of it... Pack a lunch and some beers and ride in the west like cowboys yeee hawwwww!!!! :beerpint: except on a horse....

Hells yeah, if others are down.. I've ben wanting to get back on a horse for a while now! I havn't been riding since high school :beercheers:

Wait... we're talking about horses right :ah:

Hells yeah, if others are down.. I've ben wanting to get back on a horse for a while now! I havn't been riding since high school :beerpint:

Wait... we're talking about horses right :ah:

I would be down for that as well!! Lets pick a date!

Is the Natural History Museum still doing the glow bugs????

Oh yeah and here's a couple of pics for behind the water fall... last year when I went when it was flowing it was just a stream, this year its like a blanket..

post-2396-1235567610_thumb.jpg

post-2396-1235567638_thumb.jpg

I would be down for that as well!! Lets pick a date!

Is the Natural History Museum still doing the glow bugs????

Oh yeah and here's a couple of pics for behind the water fall... last year when I went when it was flowing it was just a stream, this year its like a blanket..

post-2396-1235567610_thumb.jpg

post-2396-1235567638_thumb.jpg

Where are those pic's from?