yet another rant about tipping

dunefreak

Pull up a chair. :crash:

Last night Anna and I went out to the restaurant in the Artisan Hotel. We both wanted to check the place out and Anna had heard good things about it. It's a very unique, kinda fancy place with lots of sculptures, paintings, a fountain, etc.

Anyfuckingways, we had reservations for dinner and got seated. A few minutes go by and we don't have menus yet or have we been asked for our drink order. No big deal, homeboy is probably busy finishing up with another table. He comes over after a few more minutes, hands us menus and takes our drink order. Now mind you, the menu was very small and he mentioned that they were out of about 4 things that night. :lol: I think to myself, damn that's half of the damn menu. :clap::dope: So the only thing that sounded good was the ribeye at 35 bucks. Ok no biggie, this f*cker will probably be damn good.

So we wait about the expected time for our meal and he get's me another drink. He brought out our meals, checked on us 1 time about 2 minutes later, then fuggin vanished after that. My drink and water were both empty for about 20 minutes. The other waitress saw that we were done and our plates had been sitting there for quite a while. So SHE cleaned our table up and asked if we wanted desert. We said yeah, ordered and about 10 minutes later scooter comes back with desert. (How long does it take to cut a slice of tiramisu? :lol: ) So still, we sit with no refills, finish our desert and wait another 15+ minutes for the bill. He finally brings it out and it just sits with our card in it for another 5-10 minutes. :lol: We wanted to get the hell out of there because we had tickets for the Cirque show, O, afterwards. He finally runs our card and brings it back. The place was overpriced in my eyes (2 mediocre but kinda fatty ribeyes at 35 bucks a piece, + some brushetta, and a few drinks came to $126 :shake: )

So now it was time for the tip. If service is good and we had no problems, I usually tip the usual 15-20%. If service was outstanding, I tip well. If service sucked azz, why would a tip even be given at all? Seriosuly!. I know people work for tips, but ya think they'd try a little harder just because of that reason! We gave scooter like 5 or 6 bucks and got the hell out. Anna was paying and was gonna give in to the usual 15%. I said, "nah f*ck that dude!" :finger: She's glad I did too. lol

THEN, get this chit. While we were waiting for the valet guy to bring my truck around the waiter comes out of the restaurant and out to the front of the hotel. We were getting in the truck as he came out with a look like something was wrong kinda putting his hands up. We slowly pulled away and I watched to see if he was trying to flag us down or something. He just had a few words with the valet guy and went back inside. I say, nah eff this chit what does that douchebag want? I stop at the end of the valet drive, get out, and ask the dude whats up. Valet guy, "I guess he was unhappy with your guys' tip" Me: "oh really!!??? Well the service sucked azz and was horrible!" Then he proceeds to tell me that the guy gets compaints all the time.

Unbelievable! :shake: This waiter at this "fancy" place had the nerve to b*tch about a tip and come all the way out front (through the hotel) to b*tch us out??? I wish I was still standing there when he walked up. I'd like him to b*tch about it to my face. :beat: F*ckin tool! :pics:

The Artisan: a great place to go for drinks. Avoid the restaurant. :pics:

rant off :grin:

Pedro, I completely agree with what you did. Im sure his manager would like a copy of this. I would not want this type of azzhat working for me and costing me business. Bad word of mouth is THE worst thing any business could get.

I would have went back in and caused a big scene in the restaurant.... waited to see what the manager said about this guy.... probably would have ended up with a free fatty ribeye lol .... I usually dont make scenes vut I am telling you what... I would have been in there pissed... right behind my wife :pics:

LOL sry Pete.... kinda nice to see other people go through my stuff once in awhile :dope::finger:

Capt

A buddy of mine back home in MN goes up to his grandpa's place in northen MN with his family. Well in this little a$$ town (Walker, MN) they got 3 places to eat, Hardees (carls jr for the southern people), Dairy queen, and this "fancy bar" well guess where they went, to this bar. They had the same damn thing happen to them that you had happen to you Pete. They had like 5 people and their tab was like 120...thats high for that hick town! They gave this chic like a 5 dollar tip and left. They were walking to the car and this chic comes out and goes "Hey you stupid b*tch, yeah im talking to you! why the Fvck did you only give me 5 dollars for a tip! Fvck you!" well him mom started to walk back and the chic ran back inside. His mom walks in the door and chews her a new a-hole in front of everyone, and leaves. Well the owner of the place and his grandpa are real good friends. So his gramps called him up and the chic was fired within 2 min of talking to him.

Edited by Raptor0206

Funny thing about tips is being on the other side and watching an employee go way out of their way to accomadate the customers request or expections and then they get stiffed. I know it's a coffee shop and a drive thru but no matter what if the service is good leave them something for their effort.

Case in point- we had to change to a different credit card server and you no longer have to sign your credit slips, nor can you leave a tip on the credit card. Kids tips went down 30% in a week do you think the service was 30% poorer? No I think people were just to lazy to reach in their pockets and leave a buck.

I feel for you Pete but the only thing is I would have been late to the show and had a long talk to the GM at the resturant. If one of my employees chased someone out into the parking lot to inquire about a tip their check would be ready when they came back in! If you don't let management know they cannot fix it. I make sure all complaints are handeled by me at my store and I belive that the customers who had issues appreciate it because they all still come in.

If I was you I would call the resturant today and advise them of the situation, in this economy they will fix it I would bet. It is worth your time in my HO :dope:

My dad is a real a$$ when it comes tipping...when he get's seated at a table. He pulles out a stack of one dollar bills and fan's them out like playing cards in clear sight on the table so the waiter or waitress can see..

If they don't keep his glass full the fan get's smaller..If it takes to long for the food or it's cold it's getting smaller and so on..it was so embarrassing when we were kid's.But it work's and he get's his point across

Sorry to hear about your grappy service, just tell them next time too eat a bag of dicks that helps :dope:

Pete, though it's nice to try a new place out, we stick to places we know all about and it usually takes the gamble outta the deal. Eventually you'll fall into that routine.

Lawrys Prime rib is usually pretty good and we tip heavy there. If you're going to drop a C bone on dinner, Lawrys is usually a sure bet.

Ya did the right thing. Ya stiffed the bastard like he stiffed you.

A waiter told us at the Macaroni grill "I get tipped if I give good service or not".

I just bought a Rzr S and we tipped the Polaris Dealers DMV girl a $25 ARCO gas card because she got us in and and outta the dealer in minutes.

The girl at the Polaris parts dept counter was so outstanding ordering our accessories, we gave her a $50 ARCO gas card.

Feels good to tip good when the service was good.

We ate at the German restaurant across the street from the Hard Rock Hotel.

The food and service was horrible.

The people at the table next to us had the same gripes.

We ALL walked out after paying the bill, no tip, and the waitress followed us out to the crosswalk to go toe to toe with me.

She was furious.

We kept walking back to the Hard Rock as the Rodfathers car club were waiting at the traffic lights then driving their Hot Rods across the intersection with a cacklefest and couldn't hear a word the b*tch was shouting.

My wife didn't even notice her it was such a scene.

I feel really good about that, and you should to the way you handled it.

Edited by yfzdad

I agree with you yfzdad- no service no tip. Servers should not expect a tip! It seems like everywhere i go in this town the service is horrible. I am from Vegas and i have never seen it this bad within the past year. Anybody have a clue to why a town known for it's service industry cannot service us anymore? :dope:

you did the right thing pimpshack

it might have been a different story, had you let him swing from your sack

:dope:

and trust me...this :poop: just aint happenin in V town....same kinda garbage here too. I have renamed the elephant bar the SLOTH bar, because they are sooooo S....L....O.....W.......

freekin 2 hours for a meal? clue up or close up bitchezzzzzzz

Edited by richard cheese

Maybe they gave you bad service because you were a hetrosexual couple. You realize that place is a gay hotel. The rainbow warriors praise that place. :finger:

:crash: That place is poopd*ck. :dope:

That guy is mad cuz he literally wanted your tip. :lol::pics:

:pics:

I am amazed about the sheer ignorance some of these servers have. I too tip heavy, but if you don't keep my glasses full or check and see if we need anything the tip will get smaller. I feel bad for the servers that are good and deserve a good tip and hardly get anything if nothing at all. My husband has been known to go and get his own refills in a restaurant if the server or busboy doesn't come by. They get pissed, but the rest of the restaurant applauds him for doing it. And what balls to follow you out of the restaurant and yell at you for not leaving a tip. Do your job and you will get a tip.

Mark and I always tip well, partly because I worked as a server for 3 years during college. I remember how hard I worked for tips. It's funny to watch severs - the good and the bad. I am forgiving because I know what it was like to get slammed. However, terrible service is unforgivable and I have no problem leaving a small tip or no tip for it! :lol:

Good job Pete!!! You did the right thing! Stupid guy should be fired!!! :loser:

its not just restraunts.. had a lil run in with a dancer last night. Had 2 dancers at the table for quite some time.. came out to about 280 a piece in dances (they were hot and i wasnt payin so its all good). So we gave each dancer 400 bucks.. bout a 120 tip and said after you guys get done in the restroom come back and hook us up with a couple more dances.. still yieldign them a 80-100 tip!! One of them came back.. The other split.. heh the ladie in the group raised such a stink the bouncer made the dancer give the tip back cuz she did wrong.

Funny thing about tips is being on the other side and watching an employee go way out of their way to accomadate the customers request or expections and then they get stiffed. I know it's a coffee shop and a drive thru but no matter what if the service is good leave them something for their effort.

Case in point- we had to change to a different credit card server and you no longer have to sign your credit slips, nor can you leave a tip on the credit card. Kids tips went down 30% in a week do you think the service was 30% poorer? No I think people were just to lazy to reach in their pockets and leave a buck.

I feel for you Pete but the only thing is I would have been late to the show and had a long talk to the GM at the resturant. If one of my employees chased someone out into the parking lot to inquire about a tip their check would be ready when they came back in! If you don't let management know they cannot fix it. I make sure all complaints are handeled by me at my store and I belive that the customers who had issues appreciate it because they all still come in.

If I was you I would call the resturant today and advise them of the situation, in this economy they will fix it I would bet. It is worth your time in my HO :dunno:

We actually did call as soon as we left the place and asked for the manager. Unfortunately she was busy with another customer at the time. (imagine that, probably one of that guy's other tables lol) We didn't have time to hold or call back. We're over it now. Oh well.

Maybe they gave you bad service because you were a hetrosexual couple. You realize that place is a gay hotel. The rainbow warriors praise that place. :lol:

yeah okay: There were a couple other families, a heterosexual wedding party, and some couples there that night. I doubt it. :loser:

Guest Crasher

Mark and I always tip well, partly because I worked as a server for 3 years during college. I remember how hard I worked for tips. It's funny to watch severs - the good and the bad. I am forgiving because I know what it was like to get slammed. However, terrible service is unforgivable and I have no problem leaving a small tip or no tip for it! :loser:

Good job Pete!!! You did the right thing! Stupid guy should be fired!!! :dunno:

Ditto. I was a cocktail waitress back in the day and I worked my tushie off for my tips. It goes both ways, sometimes the customers are horrible (i.e., one put a big wad of bubble gum in my hair because I cut him off). So I usually tip higher than most, but crappy service gets little or nothing. I think tipping just a little bit pisses them off more than leaving nothing. If you leave nothing, they think you forgot. If you leave a little, that's a big statement saying YOU SUCK! :lol:

whata douche for him to come out and complain. if he is obviously getting sh*tty tips, start husslin up boy and pay the fk attention to your tables. i would have done the same thing Pete if i was you i normally start out with a certain percentage and if the service starts sucking consistently start dropping the number.

its not just restraunts.. had a lil run in with a dancer last night. Had 2 dancers at the table for quite some time.. came out to about 280 a piece in dances (they were hot and i wasnt payin so its all good). So we gave each dancer 400 bucks.. bout a 120 tip and said after you guys get done in the restroom come back and hook us up with a couple more dances.. still yieldign them a 80-100 tip!! One of them came back.. The other split.. heh the ladie in the group raised such a stink the bouncer made the dancer give the tip back cuz she did wrong.

Wow, you are a big baller bro. At the boobie bar on someone else's dime!!!! :lol: So how soon is the divorce once the bride finds out about your boobie bender? :loser: