Don and Ellen, Dumont Camp Hosts

sandawg

I guess I can now say something. Don and Ellen will not be the camp host at Dumont next year. :laughoff: A couple of us, that frequent Dumont, became friends with Don and Elen in the years they were there.

On the last day of their stay this year the BLM came to them and said they weren't needed any more.

What I do know is that Don was always ready to help the users of Dumont especially when they became stuck or had a medical emergency. Their life was cleaning the bathrooms for a small stipend.

As I understand it there was an incident when some High Level visitors got stuck and Don took a piece of BLM equipment out to help them. He said that he had requested that no pictures be taken because he was bending the rules to assist. Somehow a picture was taken and published someplace, and was seen by the BLM.

I can't say that was the only reason, but I also know that Don and Ellen were not going to be back any way, because of the way they were being treated by the BLM.

I won't go into detail here. I am just disappointed that they won't be back as camp hosts.

Ellen told me in a phone call recently that they will be at Dumont next season but not in the capacity of camp hosts, Don will be helping on medical emergencys as I understand it, and they will be assisting where they can. Possibly with the Sheriffs off or some other agency, I'm not sure yet,

I was a volunteer for several years at Lake Mead as a member of the Search and Rescue Team and a boat opertor assisting visitors there. I was treated like a king and always told how much I and my time were so appreciated, I made many friends of the LEO people and other staff members for my entire stay with them. I think that is how it should be!!! My volunters coordinators were always there for me to see that I had what I need to do my job.

I just never heard anything from Don or Ellen that they received the same and that is a shame for two great people that gave so much for so little. :(

This may be old news to some but I wanted to share my feelings on this issue.

Hope to see them out there this coming season. :laughoff::laughoff::laughoff:

Edited by SANDAWG

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I can now say something. Don and Ellen will not be the camp host at Dumont next year. :laughoff: A couple of us, that frequent Dumont, became friends with Don and Elen in the years they were there.

On the last day of their stay this year the BLM came to them and said they weren't needed any more.

What I do know is that Don was always ready to help the users of Dumont especially when they became stuck or had a medical emergency. Their life was cleaning the bathrooms for a small stipend.

As I understand it there was an incident when some High Level visitors got stuck and Don took a piece of BLM equipment out to help them. He said that he had requested that no pictures be taken because he was bending the rules to assist. Somehow a picture was taken and published someplace, and was seen by the BLM.

I can't say that was the only reason, but I also know that Don and Ellen were not going to be back any way, because of the way they were being treated by the BLM.

I won't go into detail here. I am just disappointed that they won't be back as camp hosts.

Ellen told me in a phone call recently that they will be at Dumont next season but not in the capacity of camp hosts, Don will be helping on medical emergencys as I understand it, and they will be assisting where they can. Possibly with the Sheriffs off or some other agency, I'm not sure yet,

I was a volunteer for several years at Lake Mead as a member of the Search and Rescue Team and a boat opertor assisting visitors there. I was treated like a king and always told how much I and my time were so appreciated, I made many friends of the LEO people and other staff members for my entire stay with them. I think that is how it should be!!! My volunters coordinators were always there for me to see that I had what I need to do my job.

I just never heard anything from Don or Ellen that they received the same and that is a shame for two great people that gave so much for so little. :(

This may be old news to some but I wanted to share my feelings on this issue.

Hope to see them out there this coming season. :laughoff::laughoff::laughoff:

it is so sad that dumont is so badly mismanaged and it is one of the best money earners the blm has.

I cannot get into the details of the past but Don and Ellen created a lot of their own problems. There were incidents in the past and apparently the last one broke the camels back so to say. Will we as users of Dumont be hurt by this? Yes maybe for awhile till they are replaced or we just get used to someone not being there as it always has been in the past.

The interaction of the Blm with Don and Ellen was better than they say and it was a sad thing to see them use one side of BLM against the other. I am not defending BLM but any employer has to do what they have to do. Wether you want to call them volunteers or not they were BLM employees and have to abide by the rules set down by that enity. I to am sorry to see them go but sometimes change is good. We will wait and see.

I cannot get into the details of the past but Don and Ellen created a lot of their own problems. There were incidents in the past and apparently the last one broke the camels back so to say. Will we as users of Dumont be hurt by this? Yes maybe for awhile till they are replaced or we just get used to someone not being there as it always has been in the past.

The interaction of the Blm with Don and Ellen was better than they say and it was a sad thing to see them use one side of BLM against the other. I am not defending BLM but any employer has to do what they have to do. Wether you want to call them volunteers or not they were BLM employees and have to abide by the rules set down by that enity. I to am sorry to see them go but sometimes change is good. We will wait and see.

I realize that rules are rules. But I also do realize that when rules are bent for the better good for everybody, sometimes is better than following the letter of the rule book. I'm not asking for details, and maybe they did create some issues for themselves, but they will be missed. They are good people who cared about Dumont and the people who traveled there. I wish them the best, and hope to see them again in some capacity at Dumont next season.

:B :MBdance: :hungry:

I heard a little while back that the 08-09 season would be their last. That's too bad that it ended up that way. They were great people and did alot that most duners never even saw.

It's too bad that there are so many politics in such a simple and fun thing to do. (duning that is) :MBdance:

I might as well go here!!

How many people ever went to their area and said thank for what they do?. How many people ever told Etreme Outdoor, thanks for putting the Rhino together that he did for the Dunes to handle medical emergencies?

Does anyone know what happend to a "pop up" that one of Dons friends loaned to the Clean Up that was never returned?

I don't really want to start a bunch of Chit, but???????

I am not going into what the BLM has ever done for us, as duners and Off roaders, except close more areas that we used to ride in. What fool invented WSA's?????? What does that do except close an area to enjoyment??? I understand that just a few have screwed it up for the rest of us......but what and when does it get better and not look like the tree huggers are controling the BLM.

I am not!!!! the sharpest knife in the drawer but I continue to see our land taken from us. We pay their salaries through tax dollars and all that does is create a larger buerocricy that protects jobs of their friends and fellow employes. They collect an unknown amout of money for our DD permits and what do we get?????

DAMN Bourbon!!!!! probably woundn't try to stir up the CHIT without it.

OK, I'll selttlle down! But if i am completely wrong, then tell me. I can spend my time wondering just what the H*LL is going on.

As for Terrys comment, yes there are two sides to every story......but!

I have worked with, not for beurocries all my professional adult life and never saw anything but people protecting their kind and nothing else matters!!!!!!

Damit, I did it again!!!!!! :MBdance:

Edited by SANDAWG

How many people ever went to their area and said thank for what they do?. How many people ever told Etreme Outdoor, thanks for putting the Rhino together that he did for the Dunes to handle medical emergencies?

yes and hell yes here :hungry:

There was even this link for the longest time on our homepage about the Rhino and us thanking Extreme Outdoors. http://www.dumontduneriders.com/project_rescue_rhino.html THEN, the Rhino was made out to be a bad thing later on by some. :hungry: When does it end? :hungry: Yep, alll politics. And I hate it. :MBdance:

Terry I appreciate both sides also but the BLM WILL NOT I repeat WILL NOT get someone do this again.

Only because of all the bad sh*t that people have said has been done to Don and Ellen. :MBdance: :hungry:

SO THE HELL WHAT THAT THEY USED THE TRACTOR TO PULL OUT THE NASCAR GUYS!!!!!!!!!

Who else would have done it???

I am so tired of all the politics and money that is wasted.....We as duners do not have any say anymore

Politics are something that goes with goverment, always has always will. I am still amazed at the amount of politics that go into the Barstow office and the TRT AKA Dumont Sub-Group. It is certainly amazing to watch the ivory towers and the slow grinding wheel that is goverment. I know I was taken aback when I first got selected to the TRT. It is a non paying no power or control only suggestions gig and still there was so much BS that I wasn't sure i could deal with it. After awhile you kinda get numb and do what you can to help our cause.

As to SANDAWG'S statements, while the BLM is not perfect,they do understand that Dumont is a cash flow and they have spent the money at the TRT's suggestions pretty wisely in my opinion. They have spent other money in ways that I would not have but it was not fee dollars so we have no say in it.

This website has more impact then you think on what happens at Dumont for both sides and Pete get's a huge pat on the back for spending the time and money to get it done.

As for the "missing EZ Up I don't know of any "extra's" that the board would have as we are dealing with EZ up right now to buy 2 of them so we don't have to borrow. I am truly sorry if it was not returned and will ask the other BOD members if they have it or know of someone who may be holding onto it for safekeeping. This is the first we have heard about it to be straight up.

As for Don and Ellen I did talk to them on several occasions and they were always recognized by FoDD and the BLM at the last 6 clean ups. I know they were appreciated by us and the BLM but if your told not to do something by your employer and you do it anyway then who's fault is it? The "no pictures should be taken" quote should be enough to show they knew it was outside guidelines when they pulled the semi out. Let's take it to the opposite side and say the tow chain/strap whatever snaps as they sometimes do and the driver of the semi gets cut in half. Who do you think is going to get sue'd, Don & Ellen or the BLM? This is why rules are given out and since someone just had to post a picture of it,that was the nail that sealed the coffin. Not much more I can say, I will miss seeing them but as an earlier post said change can be could maybe we will end up better off who know, only time will tell?

Terry

Edited by ynot

Terry I appreciate both sides also but the BLM WILL NOT I repeat WILL NOT get someone do this again.

Only because of all the bad sh*t that people have said has been done to Don and Ellen. :MBdance: :hungry:

SO THE HELL WHAT THAT THEY USED THE TRACTOR TO PULL OUT THE NASCAR GUYS!!!!!!!!!

Who else would have done it???

I am so tired of all the politics and money that is wasted.....We as duners do not have any say anymore

I don't believe that we will not see another volunteer out there. It is an easy gig for retired folks and you should see the amount of Fulltimer's that hunt for this kind of position. Also remember that there are two sides to what is said about them, the side that they want to give and the side that is supposed to have said it. It always gets lost in translation.

I believe there is a tow service out of Baker that will come and pull you out with a backhoe for around $500.00 and I do believe the Nascar guys could have afforded that?

Money is wasted everywhere, your house, my house and espically at the goverment house. We can b*tch about it or stay involved and do what we can to protect it as well as we can.

I don't believe that we will not see another volunteer out there. It is an easy gig for retired folks and you should see the amount of Fulltimer's that hunt for this kind of position. Also remember that there are two sides to what is said about them, the side that they want to give and the side that is supposed to have said it. It always gets lost in translation.

I believe there is a tow service out of Baker that will come and pull you out with a backhoe for around $500.00 and I do believe the Nascar guys could have afforded that?Money is wasted everywhere, your house, my house and espically at the goverment house. We can b*tch about it or stay involved and do what we can to protect it as well as we can.

you wouldnt happen to know anything about that tow services now would ya terry LOL..

Sucks to see em go.. tis all im gonna say :P

Politics are something that goes with goverment, always has always will. I am still amazed at the amount of politics that go into the Barstow office and the TRT AKA Dumont Sub-Group. It is certainly amazing to watch the ivory towers and the slow grinding wheel that is goverment. I know I was taken aback when I first got selected to the TRT. It is a non paying no power or control only suggestions gig and still there was so much BS that I wasn't sure i could deal with it. After awhile you kinda get numb and do what you can to help our cause.

As to SANDAWG'S statements, while the BLM is not perfect,they do understand that Dumont is a cash flow and they have spent the money at the TRT's suggestions pretty wisely in my opinion. They have spent other money in ways that I would not have but it was not fee dollars so we have no say in it.

This website has more impact then you think on what happens at Dumont for both sides and Pete get's a huge pat on the back for spending the time and money to get it done.

As for the "missing EZ Up I don't know of any "extra's" that the board would have as we are dealing with EZ up right now to buy 2 of them so we don't have to borrow. I am truly sorry if it was not returned and will ask the other BOD members if they have it or know of someone who may be holding onto it for safekeeping. This is the first we have heard about it to be straight up.

As for Don and Ellen I did talk to them on several occasions and they were always recognized by FoDD and the BLM at the last 6 clean ups. I know they were appreciated by us and the BLM but if your told not to do something by your employer and you do it anyway then who's fault is it? The "no pictures should be taken" quote should be enough to show they knew it was outside guidelines when they pulled the semi out. Let's take it to the opposite side and say the tow chain/strap whatever snaps as they sometimes do and the driver of the semi gets cut in half. Who do you think is going to get sue'd, Don & Ellen or the BLM? This is why rules are given out and since someone just had to post a picture of it,that was the nail that sealed the coffin. Not much more I can say, I will miss seeing them but as an earlier post said change can be could maybe we will end up better off who know, only time will tell?

Terry

I believe there is a tow service out of Baker that will come and pull you out with a backhoe for around $500.00 and I do believe the Nascar guys could have afforded that?

Money is wasted everywhere, your house, my house and espically at the goverment house. We can b*tch about it or stay involved and do what we can to protect it as well as we can.

I agree with alot of what you say Terry but just like we talked about it in the car on the way home from the TRT meeting.....Im frustrated because we cant do anything about this sh*t

A different direction! I always asked my employees to come to me with a solution not a problem. Maybe it is time for me to do the same.

How about securing a vehicle through donation or some type of funding that would be used for pulling people out of difficulty. Have a disclaimer that releases the BLM from liability for injury or damage that be signed prior to any assistance? A multi purpose vehicle that could occationally smooth out the access road on off weekends too. I'm sure that I am not the only one that has gone to the dunes on an off weekend or early for a "BIg" weekend and negociated the road no faster than 5-10 mph and still got beat to death!!!

At Lake Mead, I had a boat provided that was paid for by Clark County. The fuel was covered too. I have pulled huge house boats off the rocks in 5-6 ft.and seas and 40 mph winds, all with the blessing of the Park Service. The idea was to avoid further damage or injury from being beat up on the rocks.

Call it a service to the visitors!

Proper training for the operation of the equipment is mandatory.

Donations for the help were put into a fund that supported the program too...

Terry is right when he says how frustrating it is to work with the Gov't and his involvement, on his own dime, is appreciated by me and others I am sure. There are just times when the cost keeps going up and the services seem to be directed to something other than improving the experience for the paying guest or customer at Dumont if you will.

Is there a workable solution, who knows? Seems less and less likely!

I would like to see baby steps forward rather than steps that always seem to go backwards.

I'm done!

Enjoy your day all and hope for progress in our battle to save our hobby/passion!

:hungry: :hungry: :MBdance:

Edited by SANDAWG

I have never met Don and Ellen nor have I ever taken the opportunity to thank them personally. I guess I never really thought about what they did out there untill I just read this post. I have known that they stayed there for most of the season, did the maintainance and recieved the rhino last year to help stranded duners. I never knew that they were there in part with the BLM.

To me, Don did the right thing by helping out the Big Rig, even though it was against the rules of the BLM. But, He did know the rules and is going to have to suck it up and take it. It's too bad that someone at the BLM had to take that kind of corporate action when it was all for the good, no harm no foul, right? It could have been said to the camp hosts, "Look, we don't condone that kind of use of our equipment, don't let it happen again!' End of story. I'm sure Don and Ellen would understand that and abide by it.

What's done is done and you cant change the past. We as responsible users of public land need to keep looking forward and do everything in our power to make the big wigs happy so we can have our fun. It wasn't that long ago for me where I had to clean my room before I went out to play. The same goes for any public land where we are granted access for off roading. Some rules may sound stupid, even ridiculous, but we still have to abide by them. Otherwise, we can look forward to a closed riding area and have to find someplace else to ride. In time, we can help weed out some of those stupid and ridiculous rules by attending the meetings and supporting those who support us.

Thank you T.R.T. and F.o.D.D., you are the people who support our cause. :MBdance:

I have never met Don and Ellen nor have I ever taken the opportunity to thank them personally. I guess I never really thought about what they did out there untill I just read this post. I have known that they stayed there for most of the season, did the maintainance and recieved the rhino last year to help stranded duners. I never knew that they were there in part with the BLM.

To me, Don did the right thing by helping out the Big Rig, even though it was against the rules of the BLM. But, He did know the rules and is going to have to suck it up and take it. It's too bad that someone at the BLM had to take that kind of corporate action when it was all for the good, no harm no foul, right? It could have been said to the camp hosts, "Look, we don't condone that kind of use of our equipment, don't let it happen again!' End of story. I'm sure Don and Ellen would understand that and abide by it.

What's done is done and you cant change the past. We as responsible users of public land need to keep looking forward and do everything in our power to make the big wigs happy so we can have our fun. It wasn't that long ago for me where I had to clean my room before I went out to play. The same goes for any public land where we are granted access for off roading. Some rules may sound stupid, even ridiculous, but we still have to abide by them. Otherwise, we can look forward to a closed riding area and have to find someplace else to ride. In time, we can help weed out some of those stupid and ridiculous rules by attending the meetings and supporting those who support us.

Thank you T.R.T. and F.o.D.D., you are the people who support our cause. :laughoff:

Unfortuneatly Don and Ellen had been warned twice about violations of policy. They were well aware of wht they were doing and someone not posted a pic they may have gotten away with it. But it happened and it goes to show that anything posted on the internet can come back and smack you or someoone else!

As for the tow service ISBB, yeah I know all about those guys!!

post-85-1248545217_thumb.jpg

Rules are always meant to be bent. Why wait for a tow if there is a vehicle able and a trained driver to use it?

There has been many times that they have been out there and used money, parts, time or whatever that the blm didnt pay for... should they now ask for extra pay? Ummm no, they do it out of the kindness of there hearts. I have personally used Don for parts to a quad ( he had in his trailer) a few times. He has always done a GREAT JOB! The bathrooms were always taken care of. I have broken many a rules in my life.. was it a life and death issue.. DONT THINK SO!! Is this worth the loss at the end of the day?? I guess we will see.

Terry I am sure as a business man you have flexed your policy many times to pacify a customer whether it be a free coffee or a bagel but you have Bent the rules... Does the BLM follow the rule to a letter? Hell no. Does the money go where it should at Dumont? Hell no... that fuggin road is the best example I have ever seen of wasted money. They grade that thing Maybe 3 times a year? Come on now.. There has to be a little comon sense when your 50 mile From any type of service. Could alot of People spend $20 bucks on a tow when there stuck? Yes but would you charge them? Probably not as you might need a tow sometime and you would hope for the same..

My feelings are... and I dont know the whole story either but.... Don has someone at the BLM upset or someone is trying to show they are the big BOSS!! I say you take that person out there Drop him off in the middle of the dunes with his stuck truck and see what he says about using a tractor that is sitting there... would he use it?/ You bet your A$$ he would..

Come on now.. No supplies to buy or money to put out until a replacement is found and a replacement probably wont do as much as Don and his Wife ever done....

That is what I think about it .... BS for sure...

Capt

Rules are always meant to be bent. Why wait for a tow if there is a vehicle able and a trained driver to use it?

There has been many times that they have been out there and used money, parts, time or whatever that the blm didnt pay for... should they now ask for extra pay? Ummm no, they do it out of the kindness of there hearts. I have personally used Don for parts to a quad ( he had in his trailer) a few times. He has always done a GREAT JOB! The bathrooms were always taken care of. I have broken many a rules in my life.. was it a life and death issue.. DONT THINK SO!! Is this worth the loss at the end of the day?? I guess we will see.

This could have been a life or death isse that's what the problem is!

Terry I am sure as a business man you have flexed your policy many times to pacify a customer whether it be a free coffee or a bagel but you have Bent the rules... Does the BLM follow the rule to a letter? Hell no. Does the money go where it should at Dumont? Hell no... that fuggin road is the best example I have ever seen of wasted money. They grade that thing Maybe 3 times a year? Come on now.. There has to be a little comon sense when your 50 mile From any type of service. Could alot of People spend $20 bucks on a tow when there stuck? Yes but would you charge them? Probably not as you might need a tow sometime and you would hope for the same.. Different if I am towing out a fellow duner, I am not an employee.

My feelings are... and I dont know the whole story either but.... Don has someone at the BLM upset or someone is trying to show they are the big BOSS!! I say you take that person out there Drop him off in the middle of the dunes with his stuck truck and see what he says about using a tractor that is sitting there... would he use it?/ You bet your A$$ he would..

Come on now.. No supplies to buy or money to put out until a replacement is found and a replacement probably wont do as much as Don and his Wife ever done....

That is what I think about it .... BS for sure...

Capt

I don't want to get into a battle here but yes I have flexed the policy for a customer. It's my business and I get to make thosae decisions. If an employee decides to make exceptions to the rules than it's my decision to allow it or to warn them not to do it again. If I had an employee that was warned twice don't think they would have a third chance. Bye-Bye. Cold as that may sound when I got stuck I went to Don and Ellen's camp but they were out on vacation but a BLM employee was there. He told me that he could not use the tractor for that purpose due to liability issues and that it was not there for that purpose. End of story I called A licensed, insured tow service. Just as the Nascar guys should have done in the first place. Borrowing a part or getting gas is one thing but using a several thousand dollar tractor that they had been told not to use for that purpose twice before is certainly cause for seperation of employment.

As for the road we can get back to it anytime but I can tell you that the money was as well spent as we could do as it is 50 miles from nowhere. I will also tell you that the road now even in it's worst shape is better than it was over the 25 years I had been going there before they did the asphalt grindings. As it is this a place in the middle of nowhere, it's not a National Park it is a designiated OHV recreation area. It has to be maintained to that use. If you take a motorhome and trailer in and you get stuck you either get pulled out by friends with trucks or you call a tow service. Why? Because in this sue happy world we live in what do you think a lawyer would do to the BLM having counseled an employee twice and then the employee does what they want anyway and someone gets hurt. I guarantee this was a liability issue and thats the result.

Actually as far as having someone with a so called hard on fo them I am not privy to that but don't believe that to be the case, I believe this was just an employee violating the company rules after being warned at least twice about a similar problem. As a company owner and as a user of the dunes I have to agree that it was neccassary. That being said I think and have always thought that Don and Ellen provided a great service but remember they were paid a wage and supplied with water, propane and lots of other things from user fees. Will we find a replacement, good question, I f I could do it I would but times not right for me yet. Maybe down the line I wouldn't mind being out in my favorite place 24/7 but I would have to have race gas provided as part of my salary:)

I don't want to get into a battle here but yes I have flexed the policy for a customer. It's my business and I get to make thosae decisions. If an employee decides to make exceptions to the rules than it's my decision to allow it or to warn them not to do it again. If I had an employee that was warned twice don't think they would have a third chance. Bye-Bye. Cold as that may sound when I got stuck I went to Don and Ellen's camp but they were out on vacation but a BLM employee was there. He told me that he could not use the tractor for that purpose due to liability issues and that it was not there for that purpose. End of story I called A licensed, insured tow service. Just as the Nascar guys should have done in the first place. Borrowing a part or getting gas is one thing but using a several thousand dollar tractor that they had been told not to use for that purpose twice before is certainly cause for seperation of employment.

As for the road we can get back to it anytime but I can tell you that the money was as well spent as we could do as it is 50 miles from nowhere. I will also tell you that the road now even in it's worst shape is better than it was over the 25 years I had been going there before they did the asphalt grindings. As it is this a place in the middle of nowhere, it's not a National Park it is a designiated OHV recreation area. It has to be maintained to that use. If you take a motorhome and trailer in and you get stuck you either get pulled out by friends with trucks or you call a tow service. Why? Because in this sue happy world we live in what do you think a lawyer would do to the BLM having counseled an employee twice and then the employee does what they want anyway and someone gets hurt. I guarantee this was a liability issue and thats the result.

Actually as far as having someone with a so called hard on fo them I am not privy to that but don't believe that to be the case, I believe this was just an employee violating the company rules after being warned at least twice about a similar problem. As a company owner and as a user of the dunes I have to agree that it was neccassary. That being said I think and have always thought that Don and Ellen provided a great service but remember they were paid a wage and supplied with water, propane and lots of other things from user fees. Will we find a replacement, good question, I f I could do it I would but times not right for me yet. Maybe down the line I wouldn't mind being out in my favorite place 24/7 but I would have to have race gas provided as part of my salary:)

Not trying to argue over it either. Just.. I am sure there are employees at the blm that have several write ups that are still working.. That is the main point.

Guess its easier to get rid of a volunteer than a real govt employee.

I agree that if rules are broken someone needs to pay....but its the situation that always dictates how bad the rule break was at the end of the day

Next Ice Tea is on me.. and I appreciate your efforts just a little agitated (changing breaks on the trailer today and its hot)

Capt

it may be better then 25 years ago but you did not have to buy a pass to use the land your tax dollars paid for . and did the blm ever find the large sum of money that come up missing?? you know there is money that is made out there can we just get a bit of it for dumont ?