BLM

las vegas duner

My next rant is the rangers.

We always have helmets,flags,etc.I went to them and asked if there was anything we could do for them to overlook the headlights and tail lights issue.They are not needed in the daytime hours but even if the hill is as bright as daylight they can not overlook the issue.

They were not going to bother the flag issue.They then said if we would put any light and something red on the back they would not bother us.I put a little flashlight in the front and back with red cloth on it and they never bothered us.

I know they were there to make sure everyone paid to get in and to keep us all safe.

I don't think the little light I put on the front made me any safer than before.If they are there to make the place safe for all of us then why did they write a ticket and then leave and come back in a hour and write another one and leave again.I think they were writing a ticket or two to look like they were doing their job.

If you were one of the unlucky ones, sorry.

Hell maybe they could of helped me when I was stuck for 2 hours.

i got a chance to talk to one of the rangers yesterday before it got dark. he said that he read about the night drags from this site and decided to head out to dumont knowing we would be there. the other ranger in the jeep was itchin to drive the "newly lifted jeep" out in the dunes as well so he tagged along. he was busting people for driving right past him at the front gate and not getting a permit. he did talk to us about the ticketing and said " if they were just out with one violation ill let it slide with a warning, but if you have a couple of violations it's getting written up". how hard is it to wire a couple of small lights so people can see you. i saw a couple of really close calls where a bike with no lights was cutting across the hill and almost was taken out by a bike going up the hill. hell i even taped a flash light to my handlebars so i wouldn't get a ticket and so other could somewhat see i was coming'

i got a chance to talk to one of the rangers yesterday before it got dark. he said that he read about the night drags from this site and decided to head out to dumont knowing we would be there. the other ranger in the jeep was itchin to drive the "newly lifted jeep" out in the dunes as well so he tagged along. he was busting people for driving right past him at the front gate and not getting a permit. he did talk to us about the ticketing and said " if they were just out with one violation ill let it slide with a warning, but if you have a couple of violations it's getting written up". how hard is it to wire a couple of small lights so people can see you. i saw a couple of really close calls where a bike with no lights was cutting across the hill and almost was taken out by a bike going up the hill. hell i even taped a flash light to my handlebars so i wouldn't get a ticket and so other could somewhat see i was coming'

It has been no secret that the BLM reads this site on a regular basis. People should understand it is a public, community site. It's not like this trip was hush hush. :headbang1: I actually feel better that the BLM comes out just in case an accident or something happens.

I think the hillshooter guys might want to keep that in mind for next time. I'm not saying they were unsafe in any way. The fast guys all seemed to have very good control of the hill and seemed to be doing a great job of playing it safe. I heard of stories how the BLM talked down to them and didn't talk to them with respect that adults deserve and also how they weren't too fair across the board with everyone. That makes me mad too as it has happened to me in the past. BUT, rules are rules and we gotta follow them. Like you said, anti-bling, maybe just wire up some cheap little lights (or even some LED flashlights) next time so everyone is legal. The rules aren't too hard to abide by. If we aren't doing anything wrong, we don't get hassled. :laughoff::headbang1:

It has been no secret that the BLM reads this site on a regular basis. People should understand it is a public, community site. It's not like this trip was hush hush. :headbang1: I actually feel better that the BLM comes out just in case an accident or something happens.

I think the hillshooter guys might want to keep that in mind for next time. I'm not saying they were unsafe in any way. The fast guys all seemed to have very good control of the hill and seemed to be doing a great job of playing it safe. I heard of stories how the BLM talked down to them and didn't talk to them with respect that adults deserve and also how they weren't too fair across the board with everyone. That makes me mad too as it has happened to me in the past. BUT, rules are rules and we gotta follow them. Like you said, anti-bling, maybe just wire up some cheap little lights (or even some LED flashlights) next time so everyone is legal. The rules aren't too hard to abide by. If we aren't doing anything wrong, we don't get hassled. :laughoff::headbang1:

dunefreak..... i LOVE your green rail... i got a chance to see it for the first time yesterday...next time out I'll introduce myself.

if your legal you wont get the man down your neck! i $20 light will save you from a $50 ticket. i learned that last new years out at dumont!

dunefreak..... i LOVE your green rail... i got a chance to see it for the first time yesterday...next time out I'll introduce myself.

if your legal you wont get the man down your neck! i $20 light will save you from a $50 ticket. i learned that last new years out at dumont!

thanks man! Yes, please say hi next time if you see me in my car. :headbang1:

I have been going to Dumont for more than 30 years, it's not like the old days of no rules or Rangers to enforce them. There aren't really that many to follow but, not having lights at night is just dumb even if you are on a lighted hill. I watched several close calls at the top and along the side trail.

I think it is a great event and a lot of fun, maybe in the future if at night" no lights no run"I would think there would be some kind of liability to who ever promoted the event, if someone got hurt.??

Does anyone have to get a permit for this event?

I would think there would be some kind of liability to who ever promoted the event, if someone got hurt.??

Does anyone have to get a permit for this event?

It wasn't really an "event", it was just a dune trip which was talked about on the internet between friends. Why would we need a permit to go to the dunes and have some fun at the hill? Just because it is talked about on the site, it doesn't mean it's any different than going out on Halloween or anyother weekend. Nobody can legally be held liable if someone got hurt.

Even still, I have asked the BLM in the past about permits when it comes to big group trips. The only reason you need a permit is if it is an organized, sanctioned event where it is a competition. There is no registration, no money collected, and no organized races. It's just like any other dune trip, but with some lights. :headbang1:

no one "put on the event" it was an informal get together/event. but the rules/law enforcement was being done by the rangers as it is their job to do so and tickets were given out. if that doesn't persuade them (people who were ticketed) to get lights, put on helmets, have a flag...... then it is on them i guess....i am not their momma... they are adults. i just hate to see people get hurt due to someones lack of concern for safety whether it be directly or indirectly.

I am amazed on how peeps complain about leos hassling them for not having whips or lights..... what was this there first trip to the dunes......get a whip and lights and look no tickets :sleeping::beat: just saying :beat:

:sleeping::2cents::DDRrocks: isnt it amazing how simple the truth can be :drunks:

I am amazed on how peeps complain about leos hassling them for not having whips or lights..... what was this there first trip to the dunes......get a whip and lights and look no tickets :sleeping::beat: just saying :beat:

The hill was lit up so there was no need for lights.My point to all of this is how stupid it is to make someone put a flashlight on the bike to make it safe.

Our bikes would never go 80+mph up the hill if we could not see.I am a little smarter than that. :2cents:

The ticket issue was that they give warnings to some and give tickets to others.If they had to do their jobs and keep everyone safe then do it 100%

The hill was lit up so there was no need for lights.My point to all of this is how stupid it is to make someone put a flashlight on the bike to make it safe.

Our bikes would never go 80+mph up the hill if we could not see.I am a little smarter than that. :laughing:

The ticket issue was that they give warnings to some and give tickets to others.If they had to do their jobs and keep everyone safe then do it 100%

i have found in the past that a person attitude when they get stop by any leo will determin if they gonna get a ticket or not just my two cents

My take on the lights is it's just like riding a bicycle at night. The light is not there so YOU can see, It's there for OTHER PEOPLE to see you.

Yes the hill was lit up very well, but it still got dark in some places and with so many quads running, it's hard to keep sight of everybody. Just go to your local bike shop and buy a $25 light kit. They are designed to strap to the handle bars and can easily be mounted to a grab bar or any other part of the frame.

The simple truth is, it is nighttime, and the law states that you need a light, reguardless of how bright it may be.

My take on the rangers at the hill is, they could have just posted up in the center of the open area behind the launch berm and made thier presence known. Give tickets to people moving too fast and pulling wheelies through there as I saw a few guys do. Warn the hillshooter guys to use a whip and duct tape a flashlight to the bike.

Just my :laughing:

Heres my :laughing:

Law enforcements officers have a tough job as it is. Instead of complaining about what things they did wrong, lets not be fault finding here and see what they did right. One way to look at this situation is that only "some" people received citations while some received warnings, though remember, if they really wanted to, they would have cited every person there in violation, but reading the post above, it sounds like they where there trying to help people avoid tickets and fines. We are all aware of the rules and regulations imposed on BLM land especially Dumont. We have all witnessed riders recieve citations in the past on our outings, so it should come of no suprise to you if now you have recieved one. You can either be ignorant of a certain rule and maybe get by with a warning or be stupid and be fully aware of a rule and learn from you own mistake. So if you recieved a citation, learn from your mistake, unfortunatly for you , you in violation made BLM do their job. Why not be in full compliance so they may concentrate on the safety of the event, instead of the enforcement of rules.

Our bikes would never go 80+mph up the hill if we could not see.I am a little smarter than that. :laughing:

I watched the fast bike on the far right side of the Hill and they disappeared in the dark at the top when they turned around. You can do 80 mph up the hil or 20 mph up the hill.. it doesnt matter.. Think of it this way...25 mph up the hill and another guy is going 15 mph down( we know they go faster but this is for arguements sake) that is a40 mph crash with to massive metal pieces smashing into each other and that can turn into a mess for both riders. Now we know that everyone goes faster than I stated and the carnage inflicted on both parties is devastating. I have seen crashes in broad DAYLIGHT!! No lights needed!!! jsut ppl not paying attention or whatever. Think about it and stop your complaining. Pay your Ticket and like stated above and ... LEARN!!

AS much as you are complaining it sounds like the Ranger had his hands full. Lucky he didnt impound your bike and really teach you how to really obey the rules..

Rangers are human also and they will be just like you... sometimes they get pissed off over stupid stuff and sometimes the same stuff is not as big of a deal..

Capt

Edited by CaptNkllm

I think ANYONE racing at night whether the hill is lit up or not needs some sort of lighting Period...Like he said not so you can see but so people can see you.I almost got hit by an all black YFZ a couple years ago and the hill was lit up as well.Get helmet HID's if you dont want them on your quad and a couple glow sticks on the grab bar.All its going to take is one serious accident and it will all be over for the night drags. SO instead of bitching about the rules just follow them.

I watched the fast bike on the far right side of the Hill and they disappeared in the dark at the top when they turned around. You can do 80 mph up the hil or 20 mph up the hill.. it doesnt matter.. Think of it this way...25 mph up the hill and another guy is going 15 mph down( we know they go faster but this is for arguements sake) that is a40 mph crash with to massive metal pieces smashing into each other and that can turn into a mess for both riders. Now we know that everyone goes faster than I stated and the carnage inflicted on both parties is devastating. I have seen crashes in broad DAYLIGHT!! No lights needed!!! jsut ppl not paying attention or whatever. Think about it and stop your complaining. Pay your Ticket and like stated above and ... LEARN!!

AS much as you are complaining it sounds like the Ranger had his hands full. Lucky he didnt impound your bike and really teach you how to really obey the rules..

Rangers are human also and they will be just like you... sometimes they get pissed off over stupid stuff and sometimes the same stuff is not as big of a deal..

Capt

Smartass read the thread and you'll see we didn't get any tickets... And the ranger didn't have his hands full with us(we know how to have a conversation). I think what he is saying is that the the 4pokes were getting warnings and the fast bikes were getting tickets..sound fair to you? Really teach us a lesson... lol.

Capt

WE NEVER RECEIVED ANY TICKET!!!!!!!!

WE PUT LIGHTS ON SO WE WOULD BE LEGAL!!!!!

Some of you people really amaze me.

I have picked up trash that some of you have left in the dunes and everyone on here acts like they never do anything wrong.Angels I guess.

I think I can have a opinion without people saying I am complaining to much.

I had no problems talking with the rangers. I am not as smart as some of you but I am smart enough to treat someone with respect.

Capt I think I follow the rules more than you do I have seen you at the dunes.

I think ANYONE racing at night whether the hill is lit up or not needs some sort of lighting Period...Like he said not so you can see but so people can see you.I almost got hit by an all black YFZ a couple years ago and the hill was lit up as well.Get helmet HID's if you dont want them on your quad and a couple glow sticks on the grab bar.All its going to take is one serious accident and it will all be over for the night drags. SO instead of bitching about the rules just follow them.

I did follow the rules.I will have some kind of lights next time.

I had no problem giving everybody a ticket if they broke the law.Flags,trash,lights,etc

They should not pick and choose on who they are giving tickets to.

I know some of the people who received tickets and they are very respectable people but they do own banshees.

I still say if you think it is unsafe to go up the hill under the lights then a little flashlight will not make it safe.

i have found in the past that a person attitude when they get stop by any leo will determin if they gonna get a ticket or not just my two cents

Not to drag Dunefreak into this but are you saying that when he received his ticket it was because of his attitude.

Sometimes the rangers will have a attitude.

Sorry Pete.lol

Law Enforcement Officers have the right to use discretion "The Power of Discretion", meaning they can choose what actions they want to take with each individual that breaks the law, to a certain extent. For what ever reason they choose to give 1 person a warning and another a citation and to not even stop someone else, that is just something they are allowed to do as a LEO, fair or not, life is not fair. If you don't want to take the chance then obey the laws and you won't have to worry about any interaction with the law. People who complain about the LEO's tend to have no understanding or respect for the law or the job that the Officers do.