What paddles to buy?

Raptor0206

Well after reading the post in the "general chat" i think im giving up some traction with my sand stars. Right now i have the 20" sand stars on stock 9" rims. (i also have stand stars fronts) I like them but then again i never used any other paddles. When i side hill i feel the back end wanting to walk out on me will straight paddles help this? As of right now i have full pipe, no lid with pro flow K&N, PCIII, and 15 tooth. Some up coming mods are gonna be 11.5:1 cp piston (pump gas) stage 3 cam, +2 throttle body, Dynatek ingition, and possible FCI intake with box.

I dune 90% of the time and just mess around draging my buddy on his shee.

I am thinking haulers are the way to go, do i get normal haulers or extremes?

20's?

10" rims?

what paddle count?

:xmas_grin:

I think you're talking about my post...Dunelover was riding a Raptor 700 with the ITP Sandstar set-up and having a hard time, we put Skat Trak Extremes 21x12x8 (I think, can't check right now) 8 paddles on Douglas Blue Label 8" rims and she was able to go everywhere.

She said one of the biggest differences was how the rear end didn't get squirrelly on her when side hilling and she didn't slide around so much or feel like she had to fight with the bike.

I suggest 21" Extremes on 8" rims with 8 paddles.

But I don't think you would see a significant difference in the Haulers or Extremes if you found a good deal on one or the other then go for it. I'm sure others will chime in with more 'technical' info, but for overall duning and improvement on your ride quality look for some Skat Trak straight paddles used and don't be overly concerned with haulers or extremes, 8/9/10" rims, etc.

I was going to suggest you check out the Yamaha and Raptor forums, but saw that you already are :xmas_grin: .

Good deal here> http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/mcy/1496723349.html

Edited by Foxysandchick

Well after reading the post in the "general chat" i think im giving up some traction with my sand stars. Right now i have the 20" sand stars on stock 9" rims. (i also have stand stars fronts) I like them but then again i never used any other paddles. When i side hill i feel the back end wanting to walk out on me will straight paddles help this? As of right now i have full pipe, no lid with pro flow K&N, PCIII, and 15 tooth. Some up coming mods are gonna be 11.5:1 cp piston (pump gas) stage 3 cam, +2 throttle body, Dynatek ingition, and possible FCI intake with box.

I dune 90% of the time and just mess around draging my buddy on his shee.

I am thinking haulers are the way to go, do i get normal haulers or extremes?

20's?

10" rims?

what paddle count?

:xmas_grin:

This is going to be mostly an opinion thread IMO, but to me if you 90% dune, I would stick with a V grove paddle, but I would ditch the sand stars and go with Skat Trak Edge's. The V grove is better for turning while the straight blade tires are better for straight line acceleration. I also would not go bigger than a 21" tire and probably would stick with 20's for duning, they just accelerate faster, then taller tires. You can help increase the traction a little with 20's buy going to an 8" rim and allowing a little more sidewall flex (not a lot). I know others are going to say they dune on straights and prefer them, but v groves are still a better cornering tire. See if you can try a set of straights and see what you think, probably try different tire size and paddle count if you can.

You know I have tried really hard to be quiet cause EVERYONE has their own opinons about tires and :dope::laughoff::flipoff::MBdance::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:

I happen to LOVE the ITP's that I have and I have NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER keeping up with the sand rails and the big boys on their quads on 4th gear pinned runs... and you can ask any of the guys that I run with about my ability to keep up...

I tried out some other tires, when I debeaded, not sure of what kind they are.. I have heard alot of peeps run them.. and like them... I however HATED them, they made me feel squirelly and out of control...

post-2396-1260976082_thumb.jpg

Its all a matter of preference and what you feel comfortable with... and it it definately a matter of opinion... if you have the opportunity to try out some differant tires before you buy them that would be best for sure! :xmas_grin: You just never know what YOU are going to be comfortable with....

It is all about personal opinion, but in my years of duning nothing beats A Skat Trak Extreme Hauler. I have put them on every quad I have owned. They still turn just fine if you know how to ride, they hook like nothing else, and the extreme's hold up over time even if you go blasting over the flat stretches that are rocky. I have 6 years on my Haulers on my Raptor and they still look and work great.

But to tell you the truth, those Sand Shark II's are the chit as long as you don't mount them on "crappy Douglas wheels." :xmas_grin: Oh and are you running 91 octane in the dunes? Cause that matters as well. :dope::laughoff:

p.s. if I still have my other Raptor the next time you go out, you are welcome to use my paddles for the weekend and see how they work.

I have had run

Sand Skate II's

Sand Sharks

Sand Stars

Gekos

Haulers 7pdl reg buff, super lights

Hauler 6pdl

Gliders

Edges (v grove)

My opinion they can all be duned, but depending on your riding style and opinion/preference, will determine what tire you like. What I noticed going from a v grove to a straight paddle, is that while in a turn if you hit the throttle, it tends to lighten the front end, which changes the turning ablity. You can combat this with your body, but just tire for tire, the v grove corners better. Straight paddles will out accelerate a v grove, but tend to slide out more when side hilling like you want to do in my opinion, but of course you can get over this using yoru body. Also a smaller diameter tire is punchy and a taller tire has more top end and more flex in the side wall.

Take Pete up on his offer or anyone else that will let you run a set of their paddles before buying and make sure what you want. There is a good amount of resource on here for paddles to try and it can save you a ton of money vs buying the wrong ones.

Edited by mineurbiz

Skat trak haulers on 8" wheels only way to go if you dont have a problem using body weight and throttle to get it to corner tightly...Highest traction and lightest set up...Stay away from 10's if you like hitting the whoops 5th gear so you dont flat spot the rims, plus 8's are lighter

The problem the guy is having in the original question in the thread was wether or not switching to straight paddles will help with the a$$ end washing out.It will absoloutely stop the a$$ end washing out on you when side hilling.That was what i wasnt real crazy about with v paddles too but they are alot of fun to dune on if you really want to whip the a$$ end around in the corners.In my personal opinion I like these 2 setups if you are going with straight cup duning type tires.Both on crappy Douglas Blue Labels of course.20x10x8 7 or 8 cup extremes,or 20x10x10 7 or 8 cup extremes.I myself would get a 20x10x8 just because like stated earlier it gives you a little more clearance from the rocks and cuts down on bent wheels and gives you better flotation on top of the sand.AS far as running real heavy duty ITP wheels thats killing your performance adding all the rotating mass.For example your sand stars on ITPs I would bet weigh around16-18lbs each or more.A set of 20x10x8 or 20x10x10 on Blue Labels probably weigh about 13lbs each.It doesnt sound like much but 6lbs to 10lbs of rotating mass gone is going to help you alot. I personally havent ever folded up a blue label just from accident free duning.I mean if you hit a rock on the wheel,I dont think many wheels arent going to bend at the point of impact..Also the cup count is very important too if you want get the most out of your tires.On most 450 based quads I would go with 7 cups.Even on the Raptor i would go with 7's,8 max for bolt on mods.After you open up the motor you might want a little more tire.JMO :laughing:

Edited by Sand_700R

I think you're talking about my post...Dunelover was riding a Raptor 700 with the ITP Sandstar set-up and having a hard time, we put Skat Trak Extremes 21x12x8 (I think, can't check right now) 8 paddles on Douglas Blue Label 8" rims and she was able to go everywhere.

She said one of the biggest differences was how the rear end didn't get squirrelly on her when side hilling and she didn't slide around so much or feel like she had to fight with the bike.

I suggest 21" Extremes on 8" rims with 8 paddles.

But I don't think you would see a significant difference in the Haulers or Extremes if you found a good deal on one or the other then go for it. I'm sure others will chime in with more 'technical' info, but for overall duning and improvement on your ride quality look for some Skat Trak straight paddles used and don't be overly concerned with haulers or extremes, 8/9/10" rims, etc.

I was going to suggest you check out the Yamaha and Raptor forums, but saw that you already are :laughing: .

Good deal here> http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/mcy/1496723349.html

Those are 20x10x10's pictured :assblast:

My friend, there is only one option for the raptor 700!!.....drum roll please....skat trak!! With out a doubt 'the' best duning paddle made!! For bikes with beans, that is! But if you wanted to step down in quality then go with ITP 'sandstars', or maxxis 'razr blades'!! But please spend the extra coin on da skat trak!! You'll hook up so much more in the sand!!!