sandcar pics after a 145 ft plunge

dunefreak

Bert's (sanddunessaddict's) uncle recently did some work on this guy's old skool single seater. Then the owner took it to Amargosa Dunes the other day and made the mistake of letting his buddy drive it. I guess the guy was cruising along in 5th gear and went flying off the big razor there. He flew about 145 feet from the top of the hill. The drop was about 90 feet vertically. Luckily he lived. The list of injuries is pretty exptensive though. Bert will post that list up. :laughing:

0821071043.jpg

0821071043a.jpg

0821071044.jpg

Copyof0821071044a.jpg

0821071045.jpg

some blood on the floor :blink:

0821071045a.jpg

They had to cut the top section of the cage to get him out and then they folded it back. The seat blew out on impact as well. :grin:

Everybody get a cold beverage and some popcorn because this list is looong.

2 Broken ankles

Compound fracture to 1 arm because it went through the spoke(3 spoke wheel) on the steering wheel when the wheels jerked and spun the wheel :laughing: OUCH

Face mangled because it hit the steering wheel with his arm in there.Face also hit the steering shaft mount bar when it pushed up.

3 broken vertabrae in back

3 compressed vertabrae in neck

Numerous broken ribs.

he was life flighted out to the trauma center where they operated on him until monday morning( happened Sat afternoon).

Very lucky to be alive.

What sucks the most is it was only the second trip out with the car.

Amargossa is definately sharp and steep. We actually lost a fellow duner near the backside of comp there. It was on the steep side you see when you first approach the dunes.

I'm glad your friend survived Bert. Any idea why the seat gave? It looks like a fiberglass bucket. Harness?

Any idea why the seat gave? It looks like a fiberglass bucket. Harness?

The seat was fiberglass. It cracked and gave away. To add to that, the intertia of the engine wanting to keep going forward pushed against the seat some as well.

He had a harness, but it looked kinda cheesy.

Bert's (sanddunessaddict's) uncle recently did some work on this guy's old skool single seater. Then the owner took it to Amargosa Dunes the other day and made the mistake of letting his buddy drive it. I guess the guy was cruising along in 5th gear and went flying off the big razor there. He flew off and down about 145 feet from the top of the hill. The drop was about 90 feet vertically. Luckily he lived. The list of injuries is pretty exptensive though. Bert will post that list up. :banghead:

0821071043.jpg

0821071043a.jpg

0821071044.jpg

Copyof0821071044a.jpg

0821071045.jpg

some blood on the floor :freakin_nuts:

0821071045a.jpg

They had to cut the top section of the cage to get him out and then they folded it back. The seat blew out on impact as well. :laughing:

you want to drive my sand car see above pick and reconsider even asking me ! wow !!! :laughoff:

There is one very lucky person! My wishes for a speedy & full recovery.

I can understand some of the injuries like the arm, ankles, etc. However, I wonder if how the seat harness was mounted contributed to the back injuries. Another thread had pics of a LT that landed on its roof. I took a look at my rail and made some frame reinforcements and repositioned the harness mounts to the recommended angles by harness manufacturers. As a result, I believe my passenger and I are safer. I also will avoid riding in a rail that has "this will be OK" harness mounts. I also will NEVER let anyone start, ride, drive, try out, putt up to vendor row, any of my toys! (Unless I trust them with my life. A very, very short list) Whats the saying? An ounce of prevention....................... :banghead:

I am sorry if this offended anyone. :laughing: