ways to make dune trips cheaper

dunefreak

I'm doing another little write-up for the site and wanted to hear your guys' thoughts on ways to make dune trips more affordable due to the crappy economy. :beat:

This is what I have so far...

How to save on gas

check and maintain proper tire pressures in both truck and trailer

replace or clean your air filter regularly

keep speeds steady and keep your foot out of it when towing

Avoid bringing unnecessary weight- keep your load as light as possible

Other ways to make dune trips more affordable

Split costs with friends by carpooling and hauling your stuff out together in one hauler

Cut back on those things that you go crazy on at the grocery store (Avoid bring unnecessary food and snack items)

Make a couple less trips a season, but stay longer each trip out (Make your trips count more)

Purchase an annual pass instead of weekend passes if you plan on doing at least 4 or 5 trips per season.

If you have an other ideas, throw em on the list. :MBdance:

I know that this is not possible for some, but I do not put any fuel in my gen tank or pump station until I get to Pahrump and when we got to mexico, I do not add water until just before we go over the boarder in AZ.

become a dune groupie.. drink other peoples beer, eat other peoples food, and crap in other peoples hauler :P

On a serious note.. I think you covered the majority of the focal points. I cant think of anything else to add at the moment.

Drive slower? Dumont will still be there when you get there... 55 vs 80 makes a diffrence in gas mileage :D

We usually plan our meals ahead. This way we dont just buy random things we dont need...then end up having to go to the store to buy more things that we forgot.

Get your gas out of a work truck instead of buying it your self =)

leave the booze at home, promote responsible duning. considering we have a thirsty thursday thread that's 1000 pages long (exaggeration) and the majority of the trip report threads has booze and drunk folks in every other picture.. this suggestion will be ignored.

leave the booze at home, promote responsible duning. considering we have a thirsty thursday thread that's 1000 pages long (exaggeration) and the majority of the trip report threads has booze and drunk folks in every other picture.. this suggestion will be ignored.

:laughoff: Damn Joseph. :beat:

Some people CAN dune responsibley and still have a few beers at night when they are done duning. Nothing wrong with that at all. For most people it's not a problem. As for TT, it's a long on-going thread because we like meeting up with friends and meeting new people, grabbing a bite to eat, and throwing back some alcohol to forget about the daily stresses of life and work. I'm not sure why that bothers you so much, but you have brought it up more than once in the past. Did someone piss in your Wheaties this morning or what? :MBdance:

three words....

CRUISE CONTROL.

3? :beat:

I'm not sure why that bothers you so much, but you have brought it up more than once in the past.

foolish drinking beyond control and drug use (including abusing prescription drugs) boils my blood. i've lost friends to their own irresponsibilty (probably not a word, but you get it), and the irresponsibilty of others.

most importantly, i've had a couple dune trips ruined by drunk duners.

i meant my post as a serious jest, if that makes any sense. you may disregard it.

foolish drinking beyond control and drug use (including abusing prescription drugs) boils my blood. i've lost friends to their own irresponsibilty (probably not a word, but you get it), and the irresponsibilty of others.

most importantly, i've had a couple dune trips ruined by drunk duners.

i meant my post as a serious jest, if that makes any sense. you may disregard it.

I completely agree, but you posted sounding as in you think if the people on this board do those things. I am not going to deny the fact that alot of us get pretty drunk out there at times (AFTER the toys are put up), but I have never seen anyone on here show such irresponsibilty like you mentioned. Maybe I took it the wrong way, but when you mentioned TT that sounded like you were talking about US. :MBdance:

I completely agree, but you posted sounding as in you think if the people on this board do those things. I am not going to deny the fact that alot of us get pretty drunk out there at times (AFTER the toys are put up), but I have never seen anyone on here show such irresponsibilty like you mentioned. Maybe I took it the wrong way, but when you mentioned TT that sounded like you were talking about US. :MBdance:

how about this: alcohol is expensive. save money on dune trips by drinking less excessively. =)~

I would love to not haul water around! but where do I get water in Baker?

I'm pretty sure you can at Valero...

Valero Service Station

71808 Baker Blvd., Baker, CA. 92309

(gas & diesel, RV dump station, water, propane exchange, Dumont passes)

slow down on the way a few of us push in excess of 75 trying to get there conolidate your toys leave the ones at home you dont really use.

dont get to exravagent on food

try to buy what you need not twice what you need

we plan on leving the third vehivle at home this season our goal is to make everything fit in fasterdaddys and my hauler ( were going to start working on a way to haul both buggies in my box trailer)

Guest Crasher

One way we save is to share meals with other peeps in camp (i.e., I'll make breakfast and dinner one day, and they do the same thing the next day....). It's also cool because there is at least one day where you don't have to cook at all!! :freakin_nuts: Planning ahead and making a list (and sticking to it) will help too.

I try to fillup the motorhome with fuel on the off weekends and when I have a little extra money. It holds 75 gallons and at today prices it is easier to do 20 gallons at a time evey couple weeks. Sure that only helps on the drive out but every little bit helps nowadays.

Oh yeah, since your reading this- Go fire up your generator and let it run a few minutes so your carb doesn't gum up. I do that every two weeks or so.

One way we save is to share meals with other peeps in camp (i.e., I'll make breakfast and dinner one day, and they do the same thing the next day....). It's also cool because there is at least one day where you don't have to cook at all!! :chug: Planning ahead and making a list (and sticking to it) will help too.

We used to do that same thing! Saves a bundle on your food costs! Cut ours in half for Memorial weekend! :chug:

But who knows what will happen next season, may have to find a new group :booty:

Guess that will cut down on the beer costs anyway! :ninja::slap: