Son going to Boot Camp!

Dune Dad

My oldest son is up in Salt Lake City today being sworn in to the Army. This Dad has mixed feelings, makes a big difference when its your son!

Well.. This Dad has mixed fellings also... How ever he is now his own man and he has made his own decision.

My son "Brad" turned 18 in Oct and started looking to all the military branches. Looks like the army is what he is into. 2 of his high school friends are also going in with him.

He is going to Fort Benning, Georgia on Monday 03-09-09. He will finish basic training in 8 weeks, 5 weeks for A.I.T., Graduation, come home for 10 days than off to Infantry school. He is going with 11x Company.

Looks like many "Kids" are turning to the military because they offer so much with training and College, Also todays Economy does not have many good jobs out there for them.

:70::thumb::DDRrocks::flipoff::flipoff: :moon: :lol::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa::usa:

Edited by Dune Family

Just dropped off my son to the Recruiting Station... It has started!! LOL!! :laughoff:

He is so ready to hit Boot Camp its unreal! We got to the Recruiters at Noon than about an hour later he was off to Georgia...

WOW!!

The next time we see him will be in June... Have fun!!

:laughoff: :freakin_nuts:

Edited by Dune Family

:lol: It's been said here before and I'm sure after as well - But it's a proud day when we can count on the few the proud and the ones who "DO" make a difference, it makes us who have traveled that path very proud. Congrats and God Speed to your son.

SP2 Mike

:thumb:

• 3 months later...

Well My son has Graduated from boot camp at Ft Benning Georgia. Army!

He has called me here and there when ever he could. The last time was this last Saturday. He told me that led his unit on a week long training exercise in the mountain and swamp areas out side of his area. He said it was F*#KING RAD DAD!!!! LOL!!!

He said his unit over came 4 different attacks and came in on top of any other unit there...He said that the last couple of days they were going non stop for 40+ hours. They would move for a couple of hours than stop for 15 minutes than go again the rest of the night. He said between using the issued night vision and just plain old moon light it was no problem. They made the last 17 miles in 8 hours... :driver:

He said that growing up here in Big Bear really helped him with the terrain and the night maneuvers. He said it was just like when he would go out for the weekend here... All I could do was just laugh!! LOL!! He is going to 101st Air Assult school than something to do with finding I.E.D.'S ... Dont know why he went with that.. :lol:

He comes home this saturday the 27th. Im picking him up from L.A.X. than driving back home. He is going to be out on leave for 28 days than he is going to Ft. Bliss, Texas. From there its whatever else his M.O.S. is than he will deploy to Saudi Arabia to train with 16-X company than to Afghanistan for 16 months... :praying:

He really seems to want to go over A.S.A.P. Im just supporting him in anyway I can right now... He also has 2 other friends from his high school that are in it with him.... They also want to go over NOW!!! WOW!!

He is learning Arabic and has also taken the advise of his Grandfather on what to look out for.. Grandpa was a "Force Recon Marine Sniper" during the 60's and 70's. I think he will give him some good advice.... :mex:

You got to give these kids credit... They are going in during war time on there own... :idiot:

Well thats the up date for now...

:no_no: :mex::broke::beercheers::blink:

Edited by Dune Family

thats good that he has done it, being a previous drill sgt and a paratrooper, MP, and Infantry. I can tell you that he has had some good training. and if he pays attention then he should be just fine. listen to the salty dogs.

iam still trying to get over to afganistan, iam just waiting for the army to let me go play with some explosives...nothing better than waking up and drinking some bad coffee and blowing some sh*t up!

tell him were all proud of him!

Cole

Bill you sound like one proud dad and you should, your son is a hero not just anybody walks in and sing up for 8 years specially in war time god be with him and your family. Thank you for serving :whoop::beercheers:

I have nothing worth adding to this post!! - I have nothing worth adding to this post!! - x2 he rocks..... :driver::dunno:

Good to read.

He'll be a different person when ya see him again, and for the good.,

Some civilian jobs may allow him to add his Army service years to his pension plan.

I did and got $400 more per mo.

So it's all good.