favorite places to hike and/or trail ride and 4x4

dunefreak

Ok I'm talking hard pack and rock here, not sand dunes.

With the nice warmer weather that is here I'm going to be doing more and more trail rides, hiking, and 4 wheeling. I'm curious where you guys have been and like the most.

A couple weeks ago I hiked Icebox Canyon at Redrock. It's a 2.5 mile hike in (5 mile round trip) that leads to a pretty cool canyon that has water trickling down the rock. You can't ride there of course, but it's still a fun hike nonetheless. :D

post-3-1238442637_thumb.jpg

post-3-1238442899_thumb.jpg

post-3-1238442732_thumb.jpg

post-3-1238442757_thumb.jpg

I'd still like to get out and see Jawbone Canyon, Keyhole Canyon, Christmas Tree Pass, and more.

So post up our favorites if you have any. Pics too if you have some.

With the nice warmer weather that is here I'm going to be doing more and more trail rides, hiking, and 4 wheeling. I'm curious where you guys have been and like the most.

A couple weeks ago I hiked Icebox Canyon at Redrock. It's a 2.5 mile hike in (5 mile round trip) that leads to a pretty cool canyon that has water trickling down the rock. You can't ride there of course, but it's still a fun hike nonetheless. :D

I'd still like to get out and see Jawbone Canyon, Keyhole Canyon, Christmas Tree Pass, and more.

Everytime i drive to laughlin i have wanted to take the samurai up there and explore christmas tree pass.

The only place ive really rode, other than apex and dumont was cold springs. Would like to make more trips, but have 4wd and not for sure where the rappy can go on any rough terrin. But would be nice to get away to other places for sure.

Everytime i drive to laughlin i have wanted to take the samurai up there and explore christmas tree pass.

Christmas Tree is an easy ride in a truck. Takes about 45 min to an hour with a couple of neat places. Nothing extrodinary!

If Keyhole is the one on the way to Searchlight it is small. We used to train there for S.A.R for rope work and climbing. Fun day to climb. Nothing to tough.

A good ride is the Bitter Springs trail from close to Valley of Fire over to Lake Mead by Callville. Did it in the Rhino a while back!

Edited by SANDAWG

Last issue of Sand Ssport has an article and pix of Jawbone!

Christmas Tree is an easy ride in a truck. Takes about 45 min to an hour with a couple of neat places. Nothing extrodinary!

If Keyhole is the one on the way to Searchlight it is small. We used to train there for S.A.R for rope work and climbing. Fun day to climb. Nothing to tough.

A good ride is the Bitter Springs trail from close to Valley of Fire over to Lake Mead by Callville. Did it in the Rhino a while back!

Yeah Kens Colors told me about that place. That is gonna have to be put on the top of the list for my next rides....as soon as I get my Grizzly squared away with some maintenance.

Last issue of Sand Ssport has an article and pix of Jawbone!

Chit that's right! I'll have to go find my magazine now. :laughing:

Pete I have been to Jaw Bone and to me its no place I wish to return to. The terrain is very rough and is really meant for A two Wheeler :dunno: . There are very tight trails but many very steep maountains to climb. I took my quad and was not ready to retuen.

How was red rock? I believe its only 30Miles or so from Jaw bone cyn. They told me it was better there with more open riding area.

I Have also been to Hungry Valley and am now thinking of going for easter considering not that many peeps is going to Dumont. There are many trails and a large riding area with all types of terrain to cover. Ok for trails.

You should try out miller Cyn. This place rocks you can do a 50 Mile round trip Which is the one I have done or you go all the way to Big bear and make it a 100 Mile trip witha UTV following with the gas can. Cool ride many views of mountains and lakes and you also drive through Some rivers during the winter season.

try this link. http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25258

If you ever want to do this one its on. :laughing::laughoff:

Pete I have been to Jaw Bone and to me its no place I wish to return to. The terrain is very rough and is really meant for A two Wheeler :dunno: . There are very tight trails but many very steep maountains to climb. I took my quad and was not ready to retuen.

How was red rock? I believe its only 30Miles or so from Jaw bone cyn. They told me it was better there with more open riding area.

I Have also been to Hungry Valley and am now thinking of going for easter considering not that many peeps is going to Dumont. There are many trails and a large riding area with all types of terrain to cover. Ok for trails.

You should try out miller Cyn. This place rocks you can do a 50 Mile round trip Which is the one I have done or you go all the way to Big bear and make it a 100 Mile trip witha UTV following with the gas can. Cool ride many views of mountains and lakes and you also drive through Some rivers during the winter season.

If you ever want to do this one its on. :laughing::dunno:

The Red Rock I was referring to was Red Rock Canyon here in Vegas- different place. ;) You can't ride there. It's just a scenic place to climb, hike, and there's a 13 mile scenic loop to drive.

post-3-1238469010_thumb.jpg

post-3-1238469027_thumb.jpg

I'll have to look into those places you mentioned, but they are a tad far for what I was lookin for. I mostly started this thread for interesting places to go to even if you can't ride there, but it doesn't sound like many peeps are into hiking and climbing kinda stuff. Oh well. :laughoff: I'd just like to get out and check out some cool places I haven't been before. And hey...if they are places I can ride too? BONUS! :grin:

No more riding stories, this is about hiking. :laughing: j/k I hope to hook up with Jodi and do Red Rock to the water fall, then talk her into coming to my side of town and do Nelson's. There's a land arch and a stream. Fun, Fun, Fun Gonna try to do Race for a Cure on May 2nd. 5k nothing huge................... not like my azz.

Edited by desertskyz

I've been wanting to do Keyhole Canyon and some other out in Nelson in my truck. I was just reading about some of those between Calville and Valley of Fire also and there is a few I'm looking to do.

I just picked up this book that has trails from all around the valley, Great Basin SUV Trails Vol 1.

We try to hike down to the hot springs on the arizona side of the hoover damn a couple times a month. There's a couple different trails down to them. We usually take the harder trail and do it at dusk.

I have done the hike to the hot springs once before, we took the hard way in and the easy way out. I'd like to check it out again sometime.

I want to hike the Lost Creek trail and some others in Red Rock. I've been to Mary Jane Falls in Mt. Charleston a few times along with some other trails. I'd like to check out a few more in each place.

I started hiking the areas around here almost the first day I arrived in town!!

Besides RedRock...my other fav is Valley of Fire!

I keep trying to find someone to show me around Mt Charelston hiking areas.... but yeah no one seems to want to go!!

Amanda and I were talking about wanting to do the hot springs trail this weekend...but I haven't looked into that thread I started Off the Strip.. some one had put a detailed post up on it!!

I am always up for a hike, any weekend, I have the same problem.. finding peeps who wanna get up and do it!!

My friend Mikey aka: KrayzeeMike he is always sending me pics from all over the place..last night it was some dry lake bed that he came across 15 miles north of Apex.. he has one of those on/off road motorcylces!!

I started hiking the areas around here almost the first day I arrived in town!!

Besides RedRock...my other fav is Valley of Fire!

I keep trying to find someone to show me around Mt Charelston hiking areas.... but yeah no one seems to want to go!!

Amanda and I were talking about wanting to do the hot springs trail this weekend...but I haven't looked into that thread I started Off the Strip.. some one had put a detailed post up on it!!

I am always up for a hike, any weekend, I have the same problem.. finding peeps who wanna get up and do it!!

My friend Mikey aka: KrayzeeMike he is always sending me pics from all over the place..last night it was some dry lake bed that he came across 15 miles north of Apex.. he has one of those on/off road motorcylces!!

I think the hot springs in AZ just over the dam is Ringbolt Rapids Hot Springs, it is a 6 mile round trip. http://www.nps.gov/lame/planyourvisit/hikeazhot.htm

The turn off once you get over the dam is really easy to miss, it is just a dirt road that ends in a dirt lot where the trail starts. Do it now before it gets too hot, I did it in July and that is not suggested!

The trails in Mt. Charleston are pretty well marked and pretty accurate for difficulty rating and length, suggested to bring a light jacket even in the summer, another lesson learned the hard way.

Think I posted a ride report on Jawbone Canyon a couple years ago. It was pretty cool..... Alot of hiking at Silverwood lake and Big Bear as well. You'll have to get down this way this summer.... :laughing:

yeah hungry valley is cool :dunno: i been going there with the family for quite a while we love the trail system that they have :grin:

jack thanks for the report on jawbones I was suppose to go with some friends but now i guess i will think about going there

We try to hike down to the hot springs on the arizona side of the hoover damn a couple times a month. There's a couple different trails down to them. We usually take the harder trail and do it at dusk.

I miss that trial, used to hike it all the time. I even did a 3 day canoe trip along the colorado and hit those springs from the river side. Beautiful.

I see a group trip in the near future :laughing:

Yeah Kens Colors told me about that place. That is gonna have to be put on the top of the list for my next rides....as soon as I get my Grizzly squared away with some maintenance.

Chit that's right! I'll have to go find my magazine now. :laughing:

Bitter Springs Trip' My son and I 2008

Been riding at Dove springs for years which is about 10 miles past jawbone cyn in california. Those places for quads and 4x4 is the best, I prefer Dove springs over them all, they have a cyn called jawbone, red rock and dove springs. Gorman is for day trips but is still fun for sure

Been riding at Dove springs for years which is about 10 miles past jawbone cyn in california. Those places for quads and 4x4 is the best, I prefer Dove springs over them all, they have a cyn called jawbone, red rock and dove springs. Gorman is for day trips but is still fun for sure

Dove Springs is awesome!!