10 year old crashing an LT car

Ok beat me up if you fill the need here, :blink: but let me tell you guys something, I have a 13teen year old that has been driving some sort of UTV ATV Dire bike or 4X4 since he was old enough to walk, I have a 73 Toyota land cruiser he & his buddies drive all over the 600 Acer ranch we live on, whether it being 4x4ing thru the mud climbing some hills or taking the jet skies to the ponds & backing them in unloading them & loading them back up & bringing them home, it’s the way he’s being raised!

Now the last time I was out at Dumont he drove my 800 HP X-3 Buckshot & followed me in my car & my buddy brought up the rear in his car,(some of you might of seen him @ one of the meet & greats) oh I forgot to mention he had my buddies kid with him that is 12, anyway with all the seat time he has had in the dunes or at home I would feel more comfortable out there with him behind the wheel than most offroaders out there that maybe don’t have the seat time that this teenager does.

& yes some of you are right about the fact that there is no age limit to drive an off road car but there is on an ATV! :laughing:

Do you think I’m being irresponsible here? Not that it would change the way I raise my kids, just asking?

Ok beat me up if you fill the need here, :blink: but let me tell you guys something, I have a 13teen year old that has been driving some sort of UTV ATV Dire bike or 4X4 since he was old enough to walk, I have a 73 Toyota land cruiser he & his buddies drive all over the 600 Acer ranch we live on, whether it being 4x4ing thru the mud climbing some hills or taking the jet skies to the ponds & backing them in unloading them & loading them back up & bringing them home, it’s the way he’s being raised!

Now the last time I was out at Dumont he drove my 800 HP X-3 Buckshot & followed me in my car & my buddy brought up the rear in his car,(some of you might of seen him @ one of the meet & greats) oh I forgot to mention he had my buddies kid with him that is 12, anyway with all the seat time he has had in the dunes or at home I would feel more comfortable out there with him behind the wheel than most offroaders out there that maybe don’t have the seat time that this teenager does.

& yes some of you are right about the fact that there is no age limit to drive an off road car but there is on an ATV! :laughing:

Do you think I’m being irresponsible here? Not that it would change the way I raise my kids, just asking?

I have met your kid when he was driving that car and he seemed to have a great understanding of it. I thought that he was a bit young to be driving it but he was acting very mature about it.Him and his friend brought my some tires to my camp from Dunedoc and they where driving a Rhino then. They drove in slow and out slow so I don't see aproblem with responsble kids driving. I think it is awsome that he is getting this experience early in life.

No u r rite

I bet your kid may be a better driver than some 30-40 year old's that have sand cars. However the one thing you do that some don't when they let there kids take out the cars, is sounds like you keep an eye on him.

Also a good point was raised, was it the driver of the rail, or did the kids on the quads get in his way? I know bigger car should yield but we have all seen it many times that a car cant all the time..

so are you wrong? I don't think so????

My personal opinion is that everyone has the right to raise their children any way they see fit.. My idea of how to raise a child may not work out for everyone.. I am learning through personal expierence..

I did not allow my son to drive my sandrail until he was 16 and had a drivers liecense.

I felt that this sport was dangerous enough as it is for adults and I did not want to put him into a situation that he was not mature enough to handle. And he is a very mature kid.

Would you put your kids in a car on the everyday road?? I am just saying while there maybe more people on the regular roadways at least there are rules and regulations that people are supposed to follow, lanes, stoplights, blah blah blah, etc. While we all know that not everyone follows those laws and regulations, they are still there for their safety. But then you put a young person incharge of a powerful machine, where there are no laws and regulations, stoplights, designated lanes, etc.. etc.. Is your child going to be mature enough, to handle a dangerous situation, if God forbid, it should arise? That is the ultimate decision... can he or she handle the fact that over that next ridge could be another powerful machine doing 50-60 MPH..are they going to be ultimatley able to make that split second decision that could save their own life or the life of the idvidual in the passager seat or the driver of the other vehicle? Are they going to be able to make the split decision if he or she comes upon a quad rider that isn't paying attention to their surrondings and cuts across in front of them.. and if they hit and injure or God forbid kill said quad rider, is your child going to be able to handle that kind of situation.

Personally, I would think of the worst possible senario and think.... would I want my child to have to handle this?? Could my child handle this?? How would they deal with it? How would I deal with it?

This is a dangerous sport, we hear of accidents all the time, even from expierenced, seasoned riders.

Ulitmately since there is no laws and regulations, the decision falls to the parents of children....

Each and every parent has their own right to raise their children their own way..no one beside yourself can make those decisions... what works for my child and myself may not work for you..

I have met your kid when he was driving that car and he seemed to have a great understanding of it. I thought that he was a bit young to be driving it but he was acting very mature about it.Him and his friend brought my some tires to my camp from Dunedoc and they where driving a Rhino then. They drove in slow and out slow so I don't see aproblem with responsble kids driving. I think it is awsome that he is getting this experience early in life.

Yes I remember that, :laughing: its funny you mention that he seamed to have a great understanding of the car & that was because has as much time as I did in the building of that car I mean every nut & bolt he had a part in!

It was after reading all the post it just made me think, am I being one of those irresponsible parents that some of you speak of?

post-2263-1240936615_thumb.jpg

My personal opinion is that everyone has the right to raise their children any way they see fit.. My idea of how to raise a child may not work out for everyone.. I am learning through personal expierence..

I did not allow my son to drive my sandrail until he was 16 and had a drivers liecense.

I felt that this sport was dangerous enough as it is for adults and I did not want to put him into a situation that he was not mature enough to handle. And he is a very mature kid.

Would you put your kids in a car on the everyday road?? I am just saying while there maybe more people on the regular roadways at least there are rules and regulations that people are supposed to follow, lanes, stoplights, blah blah blah, etc. While we all know that not everyone follows those laws and regulations, they are still there for their safety. But then you put a young person incharge of a powerful machine, where there are no laws and regulations, stoplights, designated lanes, etc.. etc.. Is your child going to be mature enough, to handle a dangerous situation, if God forbid, it should arise? That is the ultimate decision... can he or she handle the fact that over that next ridge could be another powerful machine doing 50-60 MPH..are they going to be ultimatley able to make that split second decision that could save their own life or the life of the idvidual in the passager seat or the driver of the other vehicle? Are they going to be able to make the split decision if he or she comes upon a quad rider that isn't paying attention to their surrondings and cuts across in front of them.. and if they hit and injure or God forbid kill said quad rider, is your child going to be able to handle that kind of situation.

Personally, I would think of the worst possible senario and think.... would I want my child to have to handle this?? Could my child handle this?? How would they deal with it? How would I deal with it?

This is a dangerous sport, we hear of accidents all the time, even from expierenced, seasoned riders.

Ulitmately since there is no laws and regulations, the decision falls to the parents of children....

Each and every parent has their own right to raise their children their own way..no one beside yourself can make those decisions... what works for my child and myself may not work for you..

You mention, would I let my kid drive on the road, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa yeah, why do I say that because I have, & I’m not going into why I did, just saying, you mention handing a 800 HP off-road car, absolutely not even the slightest concern of mine, you also mention what if, or what if, or what if, I’m not going to shelter my kid!

& what if, well heaven forbid, that would be a tragedy, but we could sit here & talk about this all day long what if!! :blink:

As much stupid shiat I’ have seen at the hill or in the dunes, its crazy I even take my kids out there!

I just didn’t want to hide behind my computer & not mention that I do & have let my teenager drive my car!

:laughing:

You mention, would I let my kid drive on the road, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa yeah, why do I say that because I have, & I’m not going into why I did, just saying, you mention handing a 800 HP off-road car, absolutely not even the slightest concern of mine, you also mention what if, or what if, or what if, I’m not going to shelter my kid!

& what if, well heaven forbid, that would be a tragedy, but we could sit here & talk about this all day long what if!! :blink:

As much stupid shiat I’ have seen at the hill or in the dunes, its crazy I even take my kids out there!

I just didn’t want to hide behind my computer & not mention that I do & have let my teenager drive my car!

:laughing:

I also said each parent is the only one who has the right to make that ultimate decision.. that was my point!

I hope it all goes well for you and that your child does not ever have to make a decision that he/she can not handle! If you say I sheltered my child by not letting him drive until he had a liecence, then I guess by your opinion I sheltered him, I call it protecting him, that is MY job as the responisble parent. To protect your child to the best of my ability.. you call it shelter, I call it protecting. I wanted my son to grow up before making adult decisions.. like I said...WHAT WORKS FOR ME MAY NOT WORK FOR YOU, you are the one asking for opinions, I gave mine..

ULTIMATELY IT IS THE PARENTS DECISION... and ONLY the parents decision..

Yes I mentioned what ifs.. cause you just never know.. its just something you should consider.. or not..

I also said each parent is the only one who has the right to make that ultimate decision.. that was my point!

I hope it all goes well for you and that your child does not ever have to make a decision that he/she can not handle! If you say I sheltered my child by not letting him drive until he had a liecence, then I guess by your opinion I sheltered him, I call it protecting him, that is MY job as the responisble parent. To protect your child to the best of my ability.. you call it shelter, I call it protecting. I wanted my son to grow up before making adult decisions.. like I said...WHAT WORKS FOR ME MAY NOT WORK FOR YOU, you are the one asking for opinions, I gave mine..

ULTIMATELY IT IS THE PARENTS DECISION... and ONLY the parents decision..

Yes I mentioned what ifs.. cause you just never know.. its just something you should consider.. or not..

It’s all good, I’m sure you’re a great parent :laughing:

Ya we are all perfect. My choice was to do the same Jodi, I protected mine. She didn't understand at the time but she sure does now. She has 2 boys of her own. It's your choice no one elses. I parent mine the way I choose as do you. If your kid does all the right things and makes good choices or decisions I guess you've done a good job. Myself I'm pround of mine, she not only has her 2 but has taken on 3 that are not hers, why? Because of the Parents that didn't protect their kids and my daughter is now the one making a difference and protecting them. Your entire life has to do with Choices and I can only hope that we make the right ones no matter who you are or what you do.

Trust me; I completely understand what both of you are saying, I wasn’t going to say anything at first but as this thread kept going I just thought I would bring up the fact that I do let my kid drive my LT car.

A little off topic, my oldest boy who is now 18, who also has been driving some sort of motorized conveyance since he was old enough to walk as well, things like racing a 400 quad, TT flat track, with adults, a lot of people thought I was nuts, but it was something he loved to do & was good at it, & won the central California division, big bike little kid, when he turned 16 I sent him & my 12 year old at the time, to Anaheim to look at a rhino for me ( to buy) & from there sent him to sandiego to look at another one, the first one he didn’t feel it was very clean so he went to see the next one & bought it with the cash I sent him with, loaded it up in the back of my F450 & came home, which was about 6 hrs no of where he was. Is that irresponsible? Maybe not protecting him properly??

Edit to add where we live, Springville ca 1 hr north of bakersfield.

One thing I can tell you, these boys are very responsible young adults who respect their piers, their surroundings, & most of all the Dunes. :laughing:

This is just in defence of the kid & his or her parents, nothing more, not all situations are the same!

Edited by X-5

From reading what you have written your a very proud parent as you should be. If only others would take the time and effort to teach, guide and learn with their children and respect them( yes respect) as you or I as well as many others have done. It would seriously change alot of things. We as parents have to make decisions at some time or another through our kid's lives, more often than not. Some right some might be wrong. These are just things that are a part of life as a parent. We all know they don't come with a manual. If there was, half the pages would be missing by now anyway.This is a little off but -----

Congratulations to the many parents that HAVE done even some of these things and for actually raising some good people or good people in the making?

Edited by ~JILL~

When my 3 girls became teenagers, I let them drive to the animal shelter then I quick like stuffed them into the boxes. Animal control called me later and said they were to old to put up for adoption and would not euthanize them cause they had all of their shots and didn't bite, But made a great batch of brownies. :laughing: I tried to explain to them that having 3 teenage girls in my house was not safe for me and I felt at extreme risk of losing my sanity. They told to to get over it and come pick them up.

:blink:

When my 3 girls became teenagers, I let them drive to the animal shelter then I quick like stuffed them into the boxes. Animal control called me later and said they were to old to put up for adoption and would not euthanize them cause they had all of their shots and didn't bite, But made a great batch of brownies. :lol: I tried to explain to them that having 3 teenage girls in my house was not safe for me and I felt at extreme risk of losing my sanity. They told to to get over it and come pick them up.

Edit to add,

Are you sure you know what’s in those brownies, actually it’s obvious! :laughing:

Edited by X-5

When my 3 girls became teenagers, I let them drive to the animal shelter then I quick like stuffed them into the boxes. Animal control called me later and said they were to old to put up for adoption and would not euthanize them cause they had all of their shots and didn't bite, But made a great batch of brownies. :lol: I tried to explain to them that having 3 teenage girls in my house was not safe for me and I felt at extreme risk of losing my sanity. They told to to get over it and come pick them up.

:laughing::blink: ...you're effing nuts! :whip::lol:

When my 3 girls became teenagers, I let them drive to the animal shelter then I quick like stuffed them into the boxes. Animal control called me later and said they were to old to put up for adoption and would not euthanize them cause they had all of their shots and didn't bite, But made a great batch of brownies. :laughing: I tried to explain to them that having 3 teenage girls in my house was not safe for me and I felt at extreme risk of losing my sanity. They told to to get over it and come pick them up.

Freakin' criminies! I read this and after I picked myself up from flipping over backwards in my chair I now have fuggin' Weezer's hash pipe stuck securely in my head. Were you hittin' it hard to come up with that or was it a true life experience???

I know you're playin'. And I really can't believe that with all of us racist bigoted pigs on this forum that some of you have chosen to have a reasonable adult conversation that actually may educate a few on here. Carry on, I'm enjoying it either way.

Good job X-5, you're raising them right. Have you taught them to haul out more than they took in? Makes me proud when we're breaking down camp and I'm getting things loaded and stored to look out and see my kids policing the area, of others.

I can actually picture that. 3 teenage girls all with PMS and or boy crazy all under one roof? :finger:

I might have given the pound the wrong number. :D Not really but sure would have thought about it.

Makes me proud when we're breaking down camp and I'm getting things loaded and stored to look out and see my kids policing the area, of others.

I know someone who has started doing this with thier 10 year old, hopefully some day they will understand why and do it without the eyes rolling and the huffin and puffin, but its now their duty to walk around while the adults are loading and pick up any and all trash they can see! They are 10 and they don't get it.. they see it as a chore and not helping out the playground that we love and cherish, it has been explained to them, but it hasn't sunk in yet!

I love to see the kiddies out there helping out!!

Edited by sand chick

Na I like hearing about the good deads not the stupidity. I even did my good dead for the day. I pissed off the boss :D He doesn't like to go toe ta toe with me cause he knows he'll loose. Guess if I was dumber than my employees I'd make six figures too.

Awww you guys know I was just kidding about the Animal Shelter thing................right? :laughoff: My girls rock. Before my divorce and got into the dune/sdesert thing, we used to remote camp out on Lake Mojave for days on end. My girls ALWAYS HELPED. They knew how to load the boat, pitch their own tents, blow up mattress, set up kitchen, etc..... Trash day was a pain but they knew if they helped when we made a trash and ice run back to Cottonwood they would get to go to the store and get goodies and ice cream. My oldest was launching the boat and putting next to the dock at age 12/13, while I would park the truck and trailer.

Note to Self: never take 5 little girls remote camping for 4 days and nights alone. :finger:

"Teach your Children Well"

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young

Edited by desertskyz