direct tv OR dish network

vegas style

i have been talking to the new MAXFI internet provider CLEAR clear.com and i think i will be going with them for my internet. i hate cox communication and want to dump them all together. so i have just started looking at satellite for tv. would like to hook up 3 tvs but 2 could be hooked together. dont need the movie channels but i would like the speed channel.

never have had either dish network or direct tv. any opinions. :DDRrocks:

I love our dish! Lot's of channels come with whatever package we have, including planty of movie channels (so long as you don't care that it came out 5yrs ago). We just took advantage of a special they have right now were we got the dual tuner tv. Now we can watch 2 different things and record 2 different things.

Pete picked it out so he'll have more details :DDRrocks:

I think you get more for your money with Directv. I was looking at prices for Dish to see if cheaper and it doesn't seem to much cheaper and less channels. I also just checked clear.com and they don't have coverage in Henderson. Saw them in the mall, was hoping we were covered.

We have direct and have the auto tracking, enclosed sat dish on the RV too. It's only five bucks more for service.

Hold these thoughts if you think you may eventually have it in your RV:

With Direct on the RV and the enclosed sat dish, ya can't get HD, with Dish and the enclosed sat dish you can: http://winegard.com/mobile/roadtrip.php

We had Time Warner cable and will never go back.

Edited by yfzdad

one cool thing for me is i can set up a mini wifi area anywhere clear has signal. (any city too) would come in handy at work when we have a lot of down time. they also have a USB modem but with my Iphone i dont need that.

i would like to be able to take the satellite with me in the hauler sometimes but that can be done with both systems. will call both tomorrow sometime there websites arent as helpful as they could be!

I had Dish Network for about years.

It was a total pain in the arse to set up in the dunes (90% of the time).

While trying to get signal and running a check switch, some friends would ask if I would dial in their Direct.

"Sure, no prob." Booya 5 minutes. Then back to the damn Dish Network. :laughoff:

Maybe they have different equipment now a days.

Switched to Direct about a year ago and set-up takes about 5 minutes max. :drunks:

I don't have HD though, Don't know bout dat chit yet. soon though.

Sure everyone has had different experiences.

Good luck with your decision Steve. :DDRrocks:

R-

Edited by Randog

I have had both..

I like the Direct better they have the NASCAR channels and 4 free Hot Pass channels, so you can ride "in car" with your fav. drivers. The free channels change drivers from week to week, but its still cool! :DDRrocks:

And they have the NFL channels too.

It just seems like the DirectTV has more channels for less.

Dish is the the Ish. I have had all three. Cox the name says enough. Direct is more expensive and a pain to navigate. With dish you can connect two HD tvs to one DVR watch and record seperately. This is what I have for the living room and bedroom. I have one other receiver which is shared between two rooms non hd. This also cuts the cost of renting two boxes and not four. Also dish has a better channel selection. And yes you get to choose your own packages.

Edited by Jakster884

i have been wondering about all this i have cox cable and internet and tivo at my house, i want it all in one package, so direct is the way to go? we live in henderson does that matter? i hate dealing with cox, they act like they have you by the gonads when you call for service, because there signals suck.

why cant you pick what channels you want? i do not need football or 300 spanish channels all i want are fuel and speed WTF? i would have to pay for 30 other channels i will not ever watch just to get these 2.

anymore info on the matter would be great, i do not know much about sat systems.

Edited by mush

If Verizon Fios is available in your area, i would go with that.

yep verizon fios is the way to go i had direct then dish and now i have fios i will never go back to satellite again. Oh i don't need satellite in my hauler i am always on my quads or the boat i hardly spend any time in the hauler so whos needs satellite? :idiot::lol: :dumbass:

i have been wondering about all this i have cox cable and internet and tivo at my house, i want it all in one package, so direct is the way to go? we live in henderson does that matter? i hate dealing with cox, they act like they have you by the gonads when you call for service, because there signals suck.

why cant you pick what channels you want? i do not need football or 300 spanish channels all i want are fuel and speed WTF? i would have to pay for 30 other channels i will not ever watch just to get these 2.

anymore info on the matter would be great, i do not know much about sat systems.

The way it was explained to us is ya can't have Sat internet if hard wired / land line internet is avail in your area.

WTF,, I dunno why but that's what they told us. The Sat internet is expensive anyway IMHO.

We looked into ATT U verse, and it will only support 1 HDTV and 4 TV's total.

This may have changed, but that's what we were told.

However, we liked the ATT U verse cheap Fiber Optic internet service and went with that only and Direct TV.

We don't get much TV watching time at home, so when the bad weather hits Dumont or Parker we watch the tube.

Dirrect offers several Packages.

The HBO premium channels are usually showing crap and not worth the extra Vig.

We only watch Discovery Health, Fuel, VS, Speed, Fox NASCAR, TBS, NASCAR, Current and occasionally a couple others.

300 Channels and nothing is on.

So ya figure out what ya usually watch, and get the cheapest package.

If you're a baseball fan, their attendance is so bad most the games can now be found someplace on the non-premium channels.

Currently have DTV in the Toyhauler and at home and in the shop. Cox got to expensive for their Choice package and DTV had a sale so am doing that. When the sale sweet time is over DTV will be as expensive as Cox.

Agreed..... to get Fuel and Speed you have to take on too many other cr*p channels.

same with Cox though!

Dish didn't have as many good channels on a basic package as either of the others!

I like the record feature on DTV but the times are all screwed up because of the eastern time for shows. Prime time starts at 5 or 6. If I still worked (retired) it would suck! I am addicted to TV

At times I wish I still had Cox but other times I like DTV........."I'm sooooo Confused"!!!!!!!

Tried Cox at the dunes but didn't really have enough room for the coax to run from the house to Dumont! :idiot:

Disclaimer: This must not be taken as an opinion :lol: :angry2:

Just a personal observation!!!! :dumbass: :fight: :bawl:

Edited by SANDAWG

Direct TV, hands down.

110% agree!!!!!

Weed out the middle man (cox cable) They use satalite to get there signal then coax to your home.. think about it.... there is no wire from CNN in atlanta to cox cable on bonanza, It's satalite..... up-link to down-link. I never had disk network but I do like my direct tv. 100% didital audio and video plus the nfl ticket so I can watch my Lions lose every game... LOL I've had no problems at the "D" setting up a dish either.... If ya wanna see it, mon over fer a beer...Oh and yea ya gotta get the hd box from DTV it's a great pictire. just don't rent in from them (5 bucks a month for ever) go to best buy and get yer own DTV receiver....

:dumbass:

:MBdance: I've got Direct and added two units in the hauler. I have the new HD open sat dish that auto sets up in about 5 minutes with a push of the button. Its rated for 75mph winds and we've already had it at the D and other locations where its proven to work in some really nasty rain, snow and sand blows, so I have no complaints. Having the full package with HD especially durning the games and the speed channel just seems better when your 100 miles out in the sticks. I've had both "Dish" and Direct, and Direct seems to have more HD channels for sure, and I dumped "Dish" when they refused to allow me to reconfig my original setup on the hauler for local channels when we were in Pismo - Direct is not an issue, one call, and they'll temp move your system to get the local channels anywhere you park your rig in the US. The big deal was the auto setup for me also - way too many late nights tryiing to setup the system and yelling at the wife "do you seen the signal now" - better to push a button, get a beer and it's working on its' own.

SP2 Mike