Guess it's time for me to whine!

sandawg

This is my opinion only or (INHO) is my following statement!!!!!!!! :old:

If you are considering purchasing a used rail.............Make sure you know the rail, or the owner and the history of the rail. Take nothing for granted regardless of the feeling you have about the person selling a used rail or how it looks on the surface!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To put is in the short mode, I got what I thought what a good deal on the little blue prowler that was on Craigs List a while back. It ran OK last season but I wanted to have it totally checked out before I took it to Saint Anthony's next month!!!! :idiot:

Primarily I wanted to have the tranny close ratioed in 3rd and 4th to help with climbing power and ease of shifting,

Bottom Line.:

Tranny work, over $1100 hundred , it was junk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Motor checked out too: Over $1400!!!!!Jugs were junk and circa 1970, 90 MM, not even available rings anymore.

Heads were junk!!!!!! New heads, cam and pistons!

Tires were weather checked BAD, didn't see it when I bought it!!!!!!!$1000

Nitrogen shocks were junk, who knew by sight????? $1000 for new Carerra Coil Overs!

Studs for Wheels and Lug nuts were cross threaded, $100.

I blame no one but my self for my purchase. I understand that when you get a good deal that you bought it and when you get a bad deal "He sold it to me" :blink:

On a trip to Dumont I could have been killed out at the South Pole Meet and Greet when the steering came off shortly after a high speed trip from the North Pole to the South Pole. Had it came off during that high speed run on th end of full out third gear run ,it would have been really ugly!!!! :blury:

On a good note, in closing, I now have an almost totally new rail to last me the rest of my old decrepid life!!!!

Jusrt be carefull when you buy used equipment. :no_no: :broke::driver::lol::slap::usa::beercheers::mex::mex:

Have a great day and good luck!!!!! :old:

Same now as 2,000 years ago, caveat emptor, buyer beware. An old dump and transfer driver/broker told me to always expect/plan for the worse, it will be "that", or better. You're only paranoid till it happens. :?: At least you know your rail is good now :beercheers:

:beercheers::mex:

Pics of what??????? My empty wallet???? The blood on my forhead from slapping myself for not looking closer???

The empty bottles of Bourbon from trying to drown my sorrows???

Or the 4 pictures that I posted when I bought the rail???

:driver::idiot::broke:

What were they trying to decide that you were on the board?

If it was good I say no!!! If it is bad I say yes!!!!!

:lol::blink:

:no_no: :mex::blury:

Pics of what??????? My empty wallet???? The blood on my forhead from slapping myself for not looking closer???

The empty bottles of Bourbon from trying to drown my sorrows???

Or the 4 pictures that I posted when I bought the rail???

:mex::lol: :no_no:

What were they trying to decide that you were on the board?

If it was good I say no!!! If it is bad I say yes!!!!!

:mex::broke:

:driver::beercheers::blury:

:?: :blink:

pics of the empty wallet would be plenty !!! :idiot:

it happens to just about everybody at 1 point or another. I hardly ever leave anything stock or how i bought it. i basicly just try to make sure im buying a useable platform and take it from there. and i expect to have pieces to throw out which usually gives me the excuse to tear down and modify. it all depends on how you look at it i guess :beercheers:

Edited by barefoot bob

it happens to just about everybody at 1 point or another. I hardly ever leave anything stock or how i bought it. i basicly just try to make sure im buying a useable platform and take it from there. and i expect to have pieces to throw out which usually gives me the excuse to tear down and modify. it all depends on how you look at it i guess :mex:

Good point. There is always more than one point of view. :beercheers: Still sucks for Sandawg though.

That all sounds perfectly normal to me. What year was the rail built? Just sucks that it happened all at once. Even people who buy new have these problems. Glad you were able to get it all taken care of. Have fun in St. Anthony's.

That all sounds perfectly normal to me. What year was the rail built? Just sucks that it happened all at once. Even people who buy new have these problems. Glad you were able to get it all taken care of. Have fun in St. Anthony's.

It's all good, the rail is going to be fun. Thank Gawd I had the bucks to get it the way I wanted it and friends in the business that gave me a good deal!!!!

It is now what I wanted but thought I could do things at a slower pace. Thanks for the good words.

More of a shared story for someone that be looking to buy used. At his point I'm not sure if the guy that had it built by friends screwed him or he is just a "SLICKER".

I'm leaning towards the fact that they were all pretty shady and stupid.

Was told it only had 3 Glamis trips on it and it was built for his wife.

Yup only used on Sunday to drive the old lady to church!!!! :mex:

Look out ST Anthonys I'm ready and able!!! And also set up for several seasons at Dumont!

Later!!! :beercheers:

I have some ocean front property in AZ if you are feeling like spending some more money.

Just kidding...

It happens to everyone at some point, at least you seem to have a good attitude about it. yup bourbon helps.

The worst part is explaining this kind of stuff to the wife... LOL

:beercheers:

:whoop:

And your assuming she knows about this??????????????????????????????

Hell no, I'd have alimony on top of the reapirs......It's called MAD MONEY!!! I'm stupid but I'm definately not CRAZY!!!!!

SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Hell no, I'd have alimony on top of the reapirs......It's called MAD MONEY!!! I'm stupid but I'm definately not CRAZY!!!!!

hahaha

I feel your PAIN!!! I am into some repairs on mine right now that are adding up fast.... Pulled my shocks apart to powder and they were supposed to have had about 4 or 5 trips on them.. NAY NAY.... 1 shock has a longer top spring by 1" WTF is with that? Oil was like it had been in a diesel for 6 months and seals were leaking into reservoir... That is just the starts..... Known builder also..

Capt

:driver:

I take it your women aren't into the sand thing then? Why would you have to keep such a thing a secret? Shiat, Anna and I make the rail priority #1 around dune season. Priority one: get rail in tip top shape, prioirity 2: then worry about bills, food and beer :laughing:

Sorry to hear about your rail Pat. At least you got it in good shape now though. Time to dune! Have fun in St A!!! :dunno:

I take it your women aren't into the sand thing then? Why would you have to keep such a thing a secret? Shiat, Anna and I make the rail priority #1 around dune season. Priority one: get rail in tip top shape, prioirity 2: then worry about bills, food and beer :driver:

Sorry to hear about your rail Pat. At least you got it in good shape now though. Time to dune! Have fun in St A!!! :beercheers:

Well Sir, sounds like Anna is the exception rather than the rule. I wish Mrs Rushjunkie thought that way. Instead I have to waste my money on diapers, electricity, grooming... you know, non-essentials. :whoop: And I still don't have a rail... :dunno: You should see my pathetic a$$... secretely doing my summer projects in the garage :laughing:

Well Sir, sounds like Anna is the exception rather than the rule. I wish Mrs Rushjunkie thought that way. Instead I have to waste my money on diapers, electricity, grooming... you know, non-essentials. :whoop: And I still don't have a rail... :driver: You should see my pathetic a$$... secretely doing my summer projects in the garage :ninja:

The rule? Why's it a rule? I'm not into scuba diving and I don't get pissed at her when she drops a ton of cash on scuba equipment or scuba trips. :dunno: I guess I just understand most peeps' situations. Whenever works for ya though. :laughing::beercheers:

The rule? Why's it a rule? I'm not into scuba diving and I don't get pissed at her when she drops a ton of cash on scuba equipment or scuba trips. :driver: I guess I just understand most peeps' situations. Whenever works for ya though. :dunno::whoop:

See what happens when you dont get married Pete? You and the Wifey get along just fine! :laughing: :stir:

Why would you have to keep such a thing a secret?

There is a huge differnce between a secret and sharing more information than is necessary

Equals 44 yrs. of marriage as of June 3rd... :whoop:

Edited by SANDAWG

Why would you have to keep such a thing a secret?

There is a huge differnce between a secret and sharing more information than is necessary

Equals 44 yrs. of marriage as of June 3rd... :whoop:

Holy cow... mang...16yrs come Sept for us lol.... man I am old

lol

Capt

Was told it only had 3 Glamis trips on it and it was built for his wife.

Yup only used on Sunday to drive the old lady to church!!!! :driver:

That seems to be the lastest trend to say when selling... we heard that ALOT... I bought it for the wife and she didn't like it or never drove it?????

I take it your women aren't into the sand thing then? Why would you have to keep such a thing a secret? Shiat, Anna and I make the rail priority #1 around dune season. Priority one: get rail in tip top shape, prioirity 2: then worry about bills, food and beer :whoop:

Same here.. thats the ways it sould be!!!! :dunno::laughing:

Sorry to hear that everything happened at once... but I am glad you got it all taken care of! You are going to :ninja: St. Anthony's.. now pull out the hammock and have a ice cold Corona! :beercheers:

• 2 months later...

yup sounds like somethingi just stepped into myself..

now dont get me wrong..i knew that i was getting a 2500.00 rail..i KNEW it would need work..what work?? i had nor have any idea, but iam happy with my buy. I was a little shocked at some of the welds or lack their of. but i dont care i told myself and Dave that we are buying a 2500.00 car so that way we couldnt get our hopes to high, and iam glad i didnt.

we have alot of work to do to the frame...almost thought about scraping this frame and starting over, but this one will get us through this season. We will either build or buy the next frame.

but were happy about this anyway!

The rule? Why's it a rule? I'm not into scuba diving and I don't get pissed at her when she drops a ton of cash on scuba equipment or scuba trips. :dunno: I guess I just understand most peeps' situations. Whenever works for ya though. :blink::thumb:

The way it should be Pete! :wub:

This month the wife has found reciepts for a 09 ktm 300 xc, 09 ltr 450 (for daughter), santa cruz carbon fiber blur mtn bike. I have found reciepts for new dish washer, quartz counter tops, oven and stove-top and a dec trip to NY.. Ah crap, I gotta go get to WORK!! :P

On the rail, its kinda over par for the course, tranny, motor, shocks... You expect a thing or two buying used but when they pile up like that it sucks... Sounds like you have a solid machine now so enjoy it!