Sandrail wheelies into a Banshee on comp

dunefreak

So many of you all know about the accident at comp. Some guy felt the need to wheelie across the face of comp and basically ran over a guy on a banshee. After they hit the raill rolled. I heard the guy on the quad had some broken ribs and his face was pretty messed up. He was life flighted out. McGyver got some pics of the quad. I'm sure he'll post em up when he gets home.

May this be a lesson to those that like to wheelie up comp. Save it for off weekends when the hill isn't full of people on bikes!!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So many of you all know about the accident at comp. Some guy felt the need to wheelie across the face of comp and basically ran over a guy on a banshee. After they hit the raill rolled. I heard the guy on the quad had some broken ribs and his face was pretty messed up. He was life flighted out. McGyver got some pics of the quad. I'm sure he'll post em up when he gets home.

May this be a lesson to those that like to wheelie up comp. Save it for off weekends when the hill isn't full of people on bikes!!

It's amazing when a guy buys a 3000 pound rail and thinks he owns the hill. I think it used to be cool watching rails wheelie the hill, but now everyones car can do it, so it's not that impressive. Save the stunts for the dunes if you can drive well enough to actually dune your car. :beercheers:

013.JPG

Ya, i showed a few people the pix, they speak for themselves !! Was sitting on top of comp (the real steep part on the far left when u look up comp) Saw the shreck theme rail going up (from right to left side) across hill in a wheelie as an unfortunate guy was just coasting down center slowly. The rail was hookin and bookin i would guess 40-50 mph and just completely PLOWED over the quad while still in wheelie and after undercarriage of rail plowed over the dude on the quad, the rear tires of rail hopped so far over quad at that speed, it sent the rear end of rail up in the air so far, it rolled. I am still seeing this mess in my head over and over again, it was a BAD deal . We went down back side and came around back of comp where wreck was in front of us. That orange Sherrif/rescue rail with the gerny deal on the roof is a JOKE, i hope they don't try to save my a$$ with that sorry thing, it got stuck 50-60 ft up hill, and was in NO WAY helpfull with the rescue effort. they ended up hand carrying the dude ALL the way down from 3/4 the way up hill. I noticed those camera crew people were all over the wreck, they walked next to the people carrying the guy the entire way down to the bottom where the guy was loded into the ranger pickup bed and carted off. We actually pulled what was left of the quad down with the rhino , i sat on what was left and was puled down on flat tires and WAY bent bars. I do not know how the guy survived ? only thing i can think is when he was blasted off right side of quad, he was placed in that void between quad/sand and rail ? I pray he is alright. i will attempt to post the pix myself, but site dosen't like me right now ? if they don't go i will e-mail them to pete and he can post . Also hope bert recovers he was not lookin good when i talked to him @ south pole meet sat.

014.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

017.JPG

018.JPG

019.JPG

012.JPG

Edited by MCGYVER

i think his name is charlie. i talked to jay (orange suburu rail) and that is his best friend that was riding the banshee. i guess jay has to haul the guys camper and rail back to town for him, along with his own stuff.

jay said his pelvis was shattered, and his face needs to be reconstructed. he needs a plate in both cheeks, along with a complete jaw re-build and re-alignment.

i guess the sad thing was is that the guy was at the hill in his rail, and wanted to shoot the banshee up the hill real quick.

jay said that the guy who was driving the rail left the scene in another rail, but was caught and arrested later on. i hope he feels like crap.

flee the scene mother f*cker i hope he gets a$$ raped in jail fk him and his feelings. and why would you loan out your sand rail. why ?? this whole deal is senseless. they arnt somthing you just buy turn the key and go drive. there expensive and it takes time to LEARN how to drive them.

my god what a tradgedy a sensless one sorry guys but this just really gets to me how sensless. :beercheers:

i think his name is charlie. i talked to jay (orange suburu rail) and that is his best friend that was riding the banshee. i guess jay has to haul the guys camper and rail back to town for him, along with his own stuff.

jay said his pelvis was shattered, and his face needs to be reconstructed. he needs a plate in both cheeks, along with a complete jaw re-build and re-alignment.

i guess the sad thing was is that the guy was at the hill in his rail, and wanted to shoot the banshee up the hill real quick.

jay said that the guy who was driving the rail left the scene in another rail, but was caught and arrested later on. i hope he feels like crap.

You are right, Joseph. His name is Charlie. He is a good friend of 50caliberracing (Richie). Richie is taking donations for him and his family.

He has a link on his site and I have also created a page with the link for it as well....

http://www.dumontduneriders.com/charlie_donations.html

Thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family. Words cannot describe what should happen to the bastard that ran from the accident. He needs a real good beat down :beercheers:

I hate to say it - but this is a big reason I don't feel safe at the dunes. I've found that very few rails actually watch where they are going, and being on a bike, I have to watch everything, since it seems no one else does out there.

Hey I am Charlie's neighbor (the guy that was injured on the quad this weekend) if you know who the guy that was driving is please reply so that we can forward to his wife and 3 year old son (who witnessed the accident at comp hill) Last heard, the guy was not arrested and no one knows who he is, please let us know so we can let his family know, they have enough to worry about right now. Thank you !

Hey I am Charlie's neighbor (the guy that was injured on the quad this weekend) if you know who the guy that was driving is please reply so that we can forward to his wife and 3 year old son (who witnessed the accident at comp hill) Last heard, the guy was not arrested and no one knows who he is, please let us know so we can let his family know, they have enough to worry about right now. Thank you !

WTF you mean no one knows this fool? Someone loaned the rail out...find the rail owner and start with him and a lawyer and i bet he starts talkin f'n idiot. How can someone take a rail for a spin and no one knows him? come on now... sue the owner and go from there.. SOMEONE NEEDS TO PAY FOR THIS!!!

Capt

WTF you mean no one knows this fool? Someone loaned the rail out...find the rail owner and start with him and a lawyer and i bet he starts talkin f'n idiot. How can someone take a rail for a spin and no one knows him? come on now... sue the owner and go from there.. SOMEONE NEEDS TO PAY FOR THIS!!!

Capt

His wife has enough to deal with right now and is going through an extremely tough time, so if anyone can help with any information it will be greatly appreciated and we will pass on to the family -- personally.

His wife has enough to deal with right now and is going through an extremely tough time, so if anyone can help with any information it will be greatly appreciated and we will pass on to the family -- personally.

Pete stated above, that girlwithhorns knows the owner of the rail, i am sure he would who he loaned it to ? i saw a guy at the scene talking to the authorities, and was filling out what appeared to be a written statement of his accounts of the wreck, who was that guy ? guy driving was a semi thin 5-7" 5-9" was wearing tan dickie lookin shorts and no shirt.

Not meant for your fiend Kayla, but AZZHAT that was driving

post-457-1193651840_thumb.jpg

all this, with the fuggin camera crew too :booty:

Nice way to make people who weren't even there, like me, out to be drunken fool idiot off-roaders

I am sure the producers of the show will now amplify this 1000%

I seriously hope Charlie can make a full recovery. My thoughts and prayers go out to his wife and child from me

Edited by richard cheese

:booty: wow

whats up guys the guy that was driving the rail now the rangers are saying that they didnt catch him. If anyone has any info you can email me through the site. Charlie is doing good they had to put his jaw back together and do surgrey on his pelvic bone it was broken up real bad . he will be in a wheel chair for a long while but hes a stong muther brother,so he will be back next season!!! I hope maybe girlwithhorns might be able to hep me out.

whats up guys the guy that was driving the rail now the rangers are saying that they didnt catch him. If anyone has any info you can email me through the site. Charlie is doing good they had to put his jaw back together and do surgrey on his pelvic bone it was broken up real bad . he will be in a wheel chair for a long while but hes a stong muther brother,so he will be back next season!!! I hope maybe girlwithhorns might be able to hep me out.

one can only ASSUME that the owner of the rail KNOWS the idiot that was driving...

Why did he run?

its all open to speculation..drunk? no license? warrants?

:booty:

NIIIICE

My friend saw the accident happen while he was sitting on his quad a the bottom of Comp! The Victims wife and Im guessings kid was next to my friend when the accident happened. My friend than ran up on his quad and was helping the banshee rider before the rangers arrived on scene. I did not see the accident happen but I did see the Victim in a neck brace laying down in back of a Rangers pickup being transported to the Medical Aid area. :(

Its hard to believe the BLM Rangers have no information on the driver of the rail. The FIRST thing you do when a accident report is Who was driving than its What, When, Where and Why it happened.

I will get with my friend today and see if he has any information on the driver. If anything he can be a wittness to the accident.

Anybody can P.M. me if they need my friends information.

I saw the Banshee being towed out of Comp hanging off of a Rhino.. I was shocked how damaged the quad was!!

Hope the quad rider makes a full recovery!!

Edited by Dune Family

I have to sayI hate that rail, we were doing a dune ride with rails leading and quads following, who ever was driving at that time would not stay on the peak and dropped out, everyone started closing the gap when he dropped out. Just when I went to close the gap, he came jumping through the middle of us and missed me by 5 feet. I don't know who was driving it at that time either, but since then I have hated that rail and don't feel sorry that it is wrecked!!!! I feel really bad for the guy on the Banshee and hopefully someone can come forward and give up the guy that was driving.

I know it will be a while but I hope Charlie makes a full recovery!!

I don't know who the guy on the rail was but I can tell you that three of us were sitting on our quads at the bottom of the hill (getting ready to ride up) when we saw the accident happen.

That sandrail was very loud; how the guy on the quad didn't see it is beyond me. Unless one party was drinking and driving, it is very hard to put blame on either party, but that's just my opinion. I always slow down and ride across the top before making my way down...always looking out for rails, trucks, etc. that may pose a threat.

On a side note, watching the BLM try to make their way up the hill was a joke. I told my buddies that if anything like that should ever happen to me, offer the closest rail $1000 to drive directly over to the BLM/Sherrif station and bring back paramedics!