kelso dunes

ive been researching this whole closure of the kelso dunes and WOW

its over 100,000 acres of riding and it closed down in 1973

u wanna know the reason?

some weed that grows up and down the desert

they mustve been drinkin when they thought this up :flipoff:

i looked at some pictures of kelso dunes today...its being overrun with these weeds

pretty soon u wont even be able to see the dunes...itll just be a forest of green.

PROTECT A WEED OR PROTECT THE DUNES???

our activity on the dunes keeps them sandy and still theres a few of these weeds that grow towards the bottom....when we tend to our garden we pull all the weeds out cuz it kills everything around it.

and the CO2 from our emissions keeps these plants living thats y the plants are always greener on the open side of glamis and all the plants on the closed side are a little paler.

sure some of us run these plants over but u come back next week and theyre regrown

now theres a concern over a lizard living in dumont dunes

have any of u ever seen anything lving besides those bugs crawling around

there is no possible way a lizard can make a home in the sand because its always caving in

ive seen a couple up in the rocks and how many of us wanna trash our paddles there??

and wouldnt these lizards have migrated somewhere else if they didnt like what was going on around them??

bottom line is that we preserve the dunes with our riding

we keep them from being overrun with weeds

sure we put tracks in em but the wind blows at least once a week to smoothen em out

y have dunes if they are just gonna be looked at from a distance??

the environmentalists close them down and NEVER visit em...they say they want to see these animals in their natural habitat but none of em have ever even seen the dunes or even know what they are talkin about

they close it and leave

this kinda stuff grinds my gears

need to get kelso re-opened to relieve some of the other area's......what would it take to re-open that area?

me becoming president

id make both sides happy....reopen all the dunes

move all endangered animals to another place

create national parks to be preserved so those environmentalists could go hiking there

but like i said before...they wont use that opportunity to go hiking...theyll sit on their @$$ at home signin more petitions.

I say we do what they do. Strength in numbers.

If they shut us down at Dumont, I say we all keep going, sneak in if we have to.

How can the LEO's stop and ticket all of us.

There's at least 3000 members here. Have you ever heard of anyone being able to stop 3000 people.

Fight fire with fire. We can protest too. Just in a different way.

I'm going to catch heat for this, but oh well. Let the :eatdrink021: begin

LIke the French, the US government should be afraid of its people, not the people afraid of the government.

If Americans (US citizens) weren't such pu$$ies and a little more educated, we could really change things. All it takes is a great leader...a great leader can bring about more change than any politican or president ever could.

I say we do what they do. Strength in numbers.

If they shut us down at Dumont, I say we all keep going, sneak in if we have to.

How can the LEO's stop and ticket all of us.

There's at least 3000 members here. Have you ever heard of anyone being able to stop 3000 people.

Fight fire with fire. We can protest too. Just in a different way.

I'm going to catch heat for this, but oh well. Let the :stick_smack: begin

3000 members were invited to the TRT meeting... How many showed up? As much as I would like I was not there either... So getting us all at Dumont at the same time seems..............

3000 members were invited to the TRT meeting... How many showed up? As much as I would like I was not there either... So getting us all at Dumont at the same time seems..............

That's true. I wanted to go but had to work.

But I also think if it came down to Dumont being closed on a certain date and everyone on here had plans to go that particular day, everyone should just go and ignore whoever was trying to stop us.

It's kinda like how the general population drives 5 mph over the posted limit, but most cops wont stop you unless he had another reason to stop you, or he was having a bad day. Like an "Unenforceable Law".

How can they stop us all if we really banded together.

It would be tough but I'm sure it could happen.

I hope that all makes sense.

need to get kelso re-opened to relieve some of the other area's......what would it take to re-open that area?

Well my friends we as Americans have to stop bowing to the wims of the Center for Biological Diversity, Sierra Club, ELF, and other Eco-terrorist organizations. We need to put into power people that will stand up for our freedoms too. Elect the right people and things will change. The ASA is fighting hard for our rights and trying to reopen areas of glamis. Problem is that it is easy to shut down an area but its hard to get it open. Support the right people and businesses and things just might change. The sad thing is the people that support the eco-terrorist organizations have no clue, they are the trustafarians, and have never worked a day in there lives. If you looked at where there money comes from, it usually from "old" money that the families made and I'm sure that these days they wouldnt have it due to the works of these organizations. Just think if there had been a CBD back in the dino days we would have TREX running around and no oil for ouir cars.

So my friends just support the right people and contact the BLM and you congresman and voice your concers.

I know this is off topic, But there is a street called Kelso Dunes in Henderson, i drive by it everyday lol,

Didnt ever know that there really was a Kelso dunes though. Looks like it would be a fun place to ride!

I believe they are the largest dunes in North America, St. Anthony's might be bigger but I believe I read that Kelso is the largest. I drive right past them every trip to Dumont and wonder to myself WHY??? :beercheers::flipoff:

I stopped and did the hike one day, and to listen to a set of dunes BOOM was utterly amazing. I stood there in amazement and thought WTF? Went home and did some research and they actually were BOOMING, one of the few sets of dunes in the world that does so.

For anyone that comes into Dumont off of the 15, Keslo Dunes are only 30 minutes away. Just head South out of Baker instead of North. They are worth the trip to visit. And the Kelso Depot is pretty happening too.

Google Earth the whole Devil's Playground and see what we get to miss out on. Kelso is juat a very small part of that whole system.

Found a little more info after your reply Pete. Kelso is the third largest in America, second largest in California, the largest being in Colorado. What really sucks is that the three biggest dunes in North America are closed. Oh well, we can all dream about what could have been...

Supposedly St. Anthony's dunes are the best but I won't be able to verify that until DS Days next Labor Day. I do know that I enjoy the Hell out of Glamis and Dumont, and that Little Sahara, Utah is better than both, but at a 12 hour drive it's an every other year trip. I thought Sand Mountain, NV blew goats. Will never return there. I'll be hittin' up The D this weekend (8th). See ya'll there.

we went out there a while back and drove up to the dunes. i kinda wondered if we just unloaded and rode the dunes what would happen and if anyone would see. really nobody out there except for the people working the depot. im sure there is a hefty fine but dont know what the ramifications would be. if someone out there has the balls to try it have at it and give us a report. :beercheers:

Kelso was designated as a Wilderness Area by Congress and signed into law by Clinton. Only way to reverse that would be to have Congress & the president "undo" it. Not a likley scenario.

If you really want to get upset, check out the Closed Dunes List.

Cadiz, Ibex, Eureka, Kelso. All cool dunes. Eureka is TALL. Ibex is right across 127 from Dumont. Used to be a mine there. Congress designated a Wilderness area that completed surrounded the private property. The mine owners couldn't get permission to mine their own land, so the finally gave up and sold the property to the gov't. Sad.

Kelso was designated as a Wilderness Area by Congress and signed into law by Clinton. Only way to reverse that would be to have Congress & the president "undo" it. Not a likley scenario.

If you really want to get upset, check out the Closed Dunes List.

Cadiz, Ibex, Eureka, Kelso. All cool dunes. Eureka is TALL. Ibex is right across 127 from Dumont. Used to be a mine there. Congress designated a Wilderness area that completed surrounded the private property. The mine owners couldn't get permission to mine their own land, so the finally gave up and sold the property to the gov't. Sad.

Bah Humbug Clinton. We need another California guy in there like Reagan.

post-14-1196573856_thumb.jpg