What have you donated?

Free Agent

I had one HUGE wall of shelves in the garage full of model rail road stuff.

LGB and many other big name rolling stock, transformers, endless amounts of track, gadgets like crossing gates, a station that loaded/unloaded milk bottles onto refrigerator cars, the Disneyland RR Locomotive and cars, the Knotts Berry Farm Ghost Town RR replica ,, etc etc.

The kids lost interest years ago, so I told them sell it on e Bay, or I'm giving it all away.

No response from them,,,, so I contacted the Simi Valley Historical and model Rail Road Society.

They seem legit.

They will either use the stuff, or they are hep on getting the right amount of $$ for it from the right place.

They restored a classic rail road station here in Simi, and have a terrific, gigantic walk-thru model rail road lay out you can visit on weekends at the station off Kuehner Dr near Smith rd.

They jumped at the chance to get the stuff and were over here in hours.

They told me all the trains and track etc were worth a lot, the catalogs and boxes made it all even worth more. Evidently a hell of a lot more.

We loaded it all in their mini vans. Covered with years, hell decades of dust.

I kept the boxes over the decades because I remember when my sister broke the glass ball on my dads antique gum ball machine while vacuuming the den.

It was an excellent, thick crystal globe with scrambled eggs kinds etchings all over it.

My mom and I went to the library, and went through volumes of California Yellow Pages (no internet then) to find a place that sold glass globes for antique gumball machines.

We found an old Jasper on 6th st in old Downtown Los Angeles.

We called, he said bring the broken one in and he could probably match it.

Amazing, the crystal globe was only $26, even cheap back then,, but the guy kept the really cool box it came in because it was worth far far more at that time.

Ya ever part with something for a good cause?

Edited by Free Agent

Just my time and a little money. Used to coach Special Olympics basketball mostly downs syndrom and a few autistic. These had been the lowest level players in the group. The joy all of them got just from getting the ball in a square that was tapped on a wall. These players ranged in age 10-36 years old. I really never knew who got more out of it, them or me. It was a great experiance for me, one that I'll always appreciate and remember.

we donate what we can time wise to autism, help with events or fundraisers where we can, all of our old stuff or clothes we go thru every year or our sons clothes he outgrows every fricken week gets donated to safe nest.

Used to coach Special Olympics

Ahhhh.... NO wonder you love me so much!!! :boat:

All kidding aside I used to work part time and volunteer the other part to a sm non profit organization for special needs preschoolers. I did most of my work with the Autistic 2 year olds, they are such a joy! I loved all of them and was very sad to move away. I just haven 't found anything in life quite as rewarding as that, but I am still looking!

I'm about to donate a drum set to malibu if no one buys it.... :beerpint:

:driver: Jodi...

:think:

:coffee::laughoff:

Do it, Mike's two boys would love playing the skins!!!!! :laughoff::laughing:

:driver: I know a couple of girls that would love them and enjoy them much much more, they could even start themselves a girl band now that they have hit Jr High! Perrrrrfect!! :MBdance: Send them to Wingy!!

Edited by sand chick

I have donated tons, washer dryers, refrigerators, always donate my too (umm) small clothes, etc etc... always the max tax rite off LOL no seriously I usually give to either big brothers or good will, and always donate every year $$$$ to the VA.

oh yeah and blood when I can.... I actually LOVE TO DONATE... I feel great after (not for giving which is good) but I feel full of energy etc.. I know weird

My gf and I took a vacation in june to the Dominican Republic and after reading about how poor the ppl were we decided to take up a donation at work and take down school supplies for kids. We got one of the guys that works at the hotel we stayed at to take us into the small town close by to a school and into the neighborhood to hand out stuff.. Everybody on here should be gratefull everyday for what we have.

post-257-1251285107_thumb.jpg

post-257-1251285180_thumb.jpg

post-257-1251285246_thumb.jpg

post-257-1251285329_thumb.jpg

I've spent a lot of time with several humane organizations, but I really like Heaven Can Wait. I've helped organize the Lose a Pound with Your Hound walkathon every October. The money goes to their spay and neuter programs, Pups on Parole, cat & dog adoptions, etc. See www.hcws.org

We also walked in the March of Dimes walk 2 years in a row (my company is a national sponsor). This past year we did the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure. That was awesome and for a cause that's affected members of our family. About 15,000+ walkers. :D

I've spent a lot of time with several humane organizations, but I really like Heaven Can Wait. I've helped organize the Lose a Pound with Your Hound walkathon every October. The money goes to their spay and neuter programs, Pups on Parole, cat & dog adoptions, etc. See www.hcws.org

We also walked in the March of Dimes walk 2 years in a row (my company is a national sponsor). This past year we did the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure. That was awesome and for a cause that's affected members of our family. About 15,000+ walkers. :D

I donated my first vending trlr to the local Multiple Schlerosis Society chapter in Pahrump so they could have something to vend out of at the different events they go to to promote awareness of MS.

The people that were in charge started to fix it up to use.

Then the local chapter got disbanded by the main MS chapter in Vegas.

Then the people that still had the trlr sold it and ran off with the cash in their pocket.

Nothing went to the MS society in the end.