Dumont Entrance Road

The best thing is to contact CAllifornia BLM and request the road be graded ASAP in preparation for the holiday traffic. If it is not graded by then, I will not be coming. Showing pictures of broken parts as is in this thread is the justification for the request. The road is a hazard now and the state could be held liable for not responding to a reasonable and prudent request. This is a safety issue.

I know there were plans to grade the road before next weekend but after

hearing complaints and after driving it this weekend It is going to take a

lot of work to get that road to a "B" as it is probably in the worst shape

I have seen it in for the last 10 years.It's going to be at leat least a

cpl days of grading maybe more to get somewhat smoother. At 10 MPH I still

have to go back to the dentist to get my fillings redone. It's pretty rough

and wash board the whole way.

Terry

Thanks Terry. We just had our grader repaired and delivered. The

operations crew is out there this week and hopefully they can get that B

Road back.

Roxie C. Trost

Field Manager

Barstow Field Office

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd think if you spent all of that money for a pass that you would have some RIGHT to pull this thing one direction or the other if it saves you from ripping the shocks off of your hauler. I may be way wrong but it just seems, you know?

Question is though, if you have a hauler hooked up then what are you going to hitch this thing to? And with all of the varying sizes of balls what is the catch all for anyone WILLING to drag this with thing with them? I'd do it if it was there at the entrance or exit on my way in or out, as long as it wasn't a twenty minute ordeal unhitching and moving it to the side of the road for the next fella. Or lady.

Edited by aceisback

I'd think if you spent all of that money for a pass that you would have some RIGHT to pull this thing one direction or the other if it saves you from ripping the shocks off of your hauler. I may be way wrong but it just seems, you know?

Question is though, if you have a hauler hooked up then what are you going to hitch this thing to? And with all of the varying sizes of balls what is the catch all for anyone WILLING to drag this with thing with them? I'd do it if it was there at the entrance or exit on my way in or out, as long as it wasn't a twenty minute ordeal unhitching and moving it to the side of the road for the next fella. Or lady.

I was going to test it for an attachment point on the drag so it's at a slight diagonal so it doesn't just push the bigger rocks down the road but off to the right side and weld some ugly chain on it with a couple different sized hooks and 1 closed loop on the vehicle end so the loop could go over any ball and 1 of the hooks should be able to hook the frame under most trailers somewhere, if 1 out of 10 duners drag it, don't see how it couldn't help by knocking the tops off the washboard and leaving that in the low spots and the entrance is wide with a spot on the right going in to drop it and just after the the road turns towards the water crossing before the little down slope there's a wide area going in on the right where people with desert buggies use to camp, it had a no camping sign when the fee's started. 1 thing is for sure, if the BLM doesn't confiscate it and it gets used the results would be the same as you have seen after somebody has used one and the results probably looked better than that road especially on off weekends. Hey, if the road looks good, let the drag sit, if it looks washboardy drag it, much more rewarding than complaining about it, same as the trash, complaining only shows that you probably didn't contribute to the trash, that's it. Try picking a little up. I've seen the road 30 years ago where we had to make a detour around the motorhomes and trucks buried to the frame on the straight flat road, and times scraping bottom after rain would rut the road, moving rocks in the creek and way more times going up the last part several people stuck at once so to me the road is relatively good except for the cyclic screw loosening washboard at speeds faster than an AARP member with a walker. :angry2:

Edited by RUn2it

:angry2:

anyway... LEE..I think that before you build this, make sure the BLM is cool with it.

i would drag it if the road was bad. i would get to camp first, but then go back a drag it....haulin azz to dust out all the inroad racer douchebags..... :blury:

This is what usually happens when dealing with govt agencies, you tell them what you want to do, whoever you have access to won't have the authority to give the OK so they give you a form to fill out and it goes up the chain, when it reaches the 1st person that may have the pay grade to authorize it they will deny it because there's no blueprint or detailed plans by a structural engineer for it therefore it could bring liability on the agency that authorizes it for negligence evidenced by the paper trail, if it just shows up they might confiscate it or do nothing as they didn't know it existed. I just came in on that road and it's either 8-10 mph or over 40 mph or it's shake, rattle and roll. If they bladed it the last couple days I sure couldn't tell. It looked like it might have been watered on the right going in in some places. Smooth at 40 but I'm not going to fly by people doing 10 mph even if I could see through the dust. I figure it's a gamble with my time, wire, argon/co2 and kilowatts but doing nothing will get nothing done. Or maybe make small versions that several of us could drag in and load up till we leave and drag it out ...... hmmmm :dope:

Terry

"Thanks Terry. We just had our grader repaired and delivered. The

operations crew is out there this week and hopefully they can get that B

Road back."

Roxie C. Trost

Field Manager

Barstow Field Office

How do you think they did????????

I'll hold my comment :laughoff::D

FYI..... Driving on a dirt road can rattle the bones. Every foot or so, a ridge of dirt up to several inches high lies in wait to jolt passing ears and trucks and their hapless occupants. In many places, road crews battle this "washboard" effect by frequently scraping the roads with bulldozers. But as soon as more vehicles pass, the ridges, phoenix like, return. It also states that the slower you drive on these roads the less it washboards! Like 5 MPH......That isn't goping to happen so more frequent scrapings is needed!!

Now, a team of physicists has explained why a washboard forms, and their research has a dispiriting message for road crews: Scrape often, or give up. Washboard is inevitable.

p.s. What's the point of posting a speed limit if the LE folks don't enforce it or observe it????? :angry2:

I had a San Bernardino Sheriff vehicle (Flat Bed white truck) dust me bad when I was coming in on Saturday.

I would estimate his speed to be over 40 mph. On the way out I had two pick ups coming in, dust me doing in excess of 40 mph!!! :dope::blury:

Edited by SANDAWG

Yesterday when I was leaving dumont on the entrance/exit road, A blm vehicle comming into dumont At a speed of at least 50mph flew past me and threw up a rock. It broke my windshield. :angry2: Im wondering who I contact and what stack of paperwork Im going to need to fill out to get my window fixed. If I hadnt had my hauler and there were a place to turn around. Me and the a$$hat that came flying down the road would have have words. :coocoo: It was a blm truck towing some kind of small trailer at 12:35 in the afternoon.

TO THE BLM a$$hat THAT ARE SUPPOSEDLY OUT THERE TO MAKE DUMONT A BETTER AND SAFER PLACE FOR US DUNERS....... THANKS FOR FOR BEING IRRESPONSIBLE NOT ABIDING BY THE 25 MPH POSTED SPEED LIMIT AND CRACKING MY WINDSHEILD. :blury::dope::laughoff:

Edited by OGP

• 4 weeks later...

The faster you go the better it is................lol.

Im sure there are some people on here that remember the old days of the Dumont road sand traps and dips one lane. That was part of the adventure of going to Dumont.

So I think the road these days are great.

• 11 months later...

i had a good talk with the same BLM ranger. he said they had a staff meeting where he told his supervisors about our conversation 2 weeks ago. and the new policy is the road gets graded on october 1 starting next year. i thanked him for taking it up with the BLM office and he thanked me for letting him know how we felt. the 3 rangers that were at joes accident were very nice and are on our side about most stuff.

i would give the road a A both in on Wednesday and out sunday!