Horrible news. We lost a very good person

dunefreak

Bert (sanddunesaddict) passed away this morning. That's about all I can type right now. Keep his wife Ashley, his 3 kids, mom, sister, family and hundreds, probably thousands of friends in your thoughts and prayers. It is a very sad day! :(

• Like 1

Rest in Peace Brutha Bert, Love ya!!! Our prayers are with the family (love you too). One of the best guys you will ever meet, he would give you the shirt off his back. Bert, you are missed by many and loved by all!!! Anything I can do, please let me know.....Semper Fi, Woody

• Like 1

When I joined this site and met Bert at Dumont the first time and found out his real name I told him I knew his father (who also was taken to soon). Bert and I had lot's of conversations about the time he and his dad spent at the dunes. He always said his dad was taken to soon and worried about it himself. Unfortunately he was right. Bert was a kind gentle soul and a friend to anyone and I for one am truly sorry that such a great person has left us. I keep Ashley and the kids in my thoughts and hope and know that his large extended family will be there to help. I am truly at a loss.

Terry

• Like 7

A great guy that will be truly missed....I was just scrolling through some texts that he sent me and every one of them was about him helping me out in one way or another. I am sincerely sad that I won't be able to return the favor. We will miss you buddy!

• Like 1

He was always nice and always helpful to me. He was one of the good guys, even rescued me out in the dunes a time or two. One of the few genuine people I ever met. He will be missed, my thoughts go out to his family.

• Like 1

I met Bert the first time in person when he pulled up to tow me back to camp after my son and I were hit by another rail. It was as if he knew me already and no big deal, that's what we do. The thing is we hear that all the time but Bert lived it. I have seen him cut a ride short to go rescue someone in the dunes. I also always respected how he would fly the US flag high and proud and would light it up all night. I didn't know him as well as most here but enough to know we all lost someone special. We should name a hill or bowl after him.

• Like 2