Do you DUNE your truck?

Over President's Day weekend I noticed alot of people duning there daily driver trucks. :dunno: A couple of them were stuck in pretty dangerous positions too. I have taken my truck out to recover broken sandrails, to comp, and down the finger dune into camp but would never bring it up these nasty hills of Dumont. I'd be too worried about not being able to tow my hauler home if I broke down or more importantly rolling and getting hurt or killed. :pissed:

There were a couple more trucks I also saw but didn't get pics. One was stuck trying to go over the steep hill to the right of the hill climbs (entrance to the whoops to comp). :laughoff:

S2010069~4.JPG

S2010067~5.JPG

S2010036~7.JPG

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over President's Day weekend I noticed alot of people duning there daily driver trucks. :dunno: A couple of them were stuck in pretty dangerous positions too. I have taken my truck out to recover broken sandrails, to comp, and down the finger dune into camp but would never bring it up these nasty hills of Dumont. I'd be too worried about not being able to tow my hauler home if I broke down or more importantly rolling and getting hurt or killed. :pissed:

There were a couple more trucks I also saw but didn't get pics. One was stuck trying to go over the steep hill to the right of the hill climbs (entrance to the whoops to comp). :laughoff:

It's interesting that you should ask this question. I was going to post it in my observations about all the trucks attempting to dune and the many, MANY we passed by dug in so deep it was gonna take a small miracle to get them out. Heading back to camp late Sunday afternoon, we came across one right in the middle of a high traffic area apparently waiting for a flatbed. Probably left there from the night before, a tow strap still on the front end, no driver nearby and the front tires practically facing eachother. That had to hurt. :dunno:

It's interesting that you should ask this question. I was going to post it in my observations about all the trucks attempting to dune and the many, MANY we passed by dug in so deep it was gonna take a small miracle to get them out. Heading back to camp late Sunday afternoon, we came across one right in the middle of a high traffic area apparently waiting for a flatbed. Probably left there from the night before, a tow strap still on the front end, no driver nearby and the front tires practically facing eachother. That had to hurt. :thumb:

That truck was there early Sunday, so I think it might have been left from Saturday night. I stopped to look at that one and wondered how they managed to mess it up that bad. The front tires were both turned in towards each other, so something was broken and it was dug in almost to the frame in the back. Was a nice looking truck though haha.

I also came across one stuck back on the dunes near the trail between the north and south pole, not much truck traffic out that way for someone to be kind enough to stop and help, but I guess they found a way.

I think it is just stupidity to dune those types of vehicles. :laughoff::dunno::pissed::dunno:

haha, this one? :pissed:

We saw it too on our way back from our last ride. It was left there over night from Saturday.

normal_S2010106~3.JPG

Yeppers, that be the one!!

Here's another that I forgot to add :dunno:

Buried!

S2010042~9.JPG

Saw that one too! That was at comp after we all left the N. pole. Silly people, I swear! :laughoff:

WHERE DID THIS THREAD COME FROM :pissed::D

I have duned my truck in the past. You are allowed to do it @ pismo. Heck, 1/4 of the crowd over there dunes their trucks!! Remember though, pismo has ant hills compared to dumont.

also, what if you are on a tow rescue mission?

it looks like that chevy broke his tie rods......a major weak spot in the chevy front ends :laughoff:

Edited by RICHARDCHEESE

Over President's Day weekend I noticed alot of people duning there daily driver trucks. :2gunsfiring: A couple of them were stuck in pretty dangerous positions too. I have taken my truck out to recover broken sandrails, to comp, and down the finger dune into camp but would never bring it up these nasty hills of Dumont. I'd be too worried about not being able to tow my hauler home if I broke down or more importantly rolling and getting hurt or killed. :mc_smiley:

There were a couple more trucks I also saw but didn't get pics. One was stuck trying to go over the steep hill to the right of the hill climbs (entrance to the whoops to comp). :beercheers:

S2010069~4.JPG

S2010067~5.JPG

S2010036~7.JPG

Look at the picture of the stuck nissan titan and then look where the :stick_smack: brain surgeons are pushing on the truck to HELP HIM. hELP HIM GET OUT OR HELP HIM ROLL OVER. We werent quite sure. Also what you dont see in these pictures, are the guys son that is inside the truck. Wreckless driving?????? I think so. Endangering the life of a child???? I think so. It was after I yelled at these knuckleheads several times to put the truck in reverse instead of trying to go forward did they finally get out. When they did get the truck unstuck, There was a huge dent on the side were his BUDDIES were pushing. IT WAS GREAT!!!!!

I used to dune the hell out of my truck. Chevy z71 with a k&n and the hypertech programer to boost up the rev limiter, a bottle of captin and 10 pounds of pressure in the tires. :mc_smiley: Not many places in Dumont or Glamis my truck hasen't seen. Did that for about 2 years till my rear end literally exploded right when I got home after towing my 24' toy hauler home. That was a few years ago when the dunes were a tad less crowded. Now that I have seen the error in my ways and realize that I need to tow something home I dont even unhitch. I only really got stuck when I did something stupid like going to slow and straight and high centering myself. But I always knew how to get myself out. Those pictures of that guy in the Titan are typical of what we see every time we go out. 5 dudes in a truck, no bikes, with nothing but an ice chest full of Budwiser. There are a few of these people that are really dangerous but for the most part it's good time to see how long it will take them to get stuck and an even better time watching them think of creative ways to get unstuck, like trying to push the a$$ around instead of just putting it in reverse like Original pimp said. As long as these idiots keep showing up, i'll keep watching and laughing.

:beercheers:

Over President's Day weekend I noticed alot of people duning there daily driver trucks. :beercheers: A couple of them were stuck in pretty dangerous positions too. I have taken my truck out to recover broken sandrails, to comp, and down the finger dune into camp but would never bring it up these nasty hills of Dumont. I'd be too worried about not being able to tow my hauler home if I broke down or more importantly rolling and getting hurt or killed. :beercheers:

There were a couple more trucks I also saw but didn't get pics. One was stuck trying to go over the steep hill to the right of the hill climbs (entrance to the whoops to comp). :beercheers:

S2010069~4.JPG

S2010067~5.JPG

S2010036~7.JPG

Hey Pete I thought you liked my video :2gunsfiring: :beercheers: didn't get stuck all weekend :beercheers: you just have to know how to drive your ride :mc_smiley: :stick_smack: and not be STUPID :banghead:

Hey Pete I thought you liked my video :beercheers::beercheers: didn't get stuck all weekend :banghead: you just have to know how to drive your ride :stick_smack: :2gunsfiring: and not be STUPID :laughoff:

haha :beercheers: Your video was ok, Craig. :beercheers:

No...when I say DUNE your truck I mean dune it like a rail...over razor backs, up steep hills etc. I don't see anything wrong with cruising some of the small stuff, but when you start getting up on these really big dunes where you are prone to roll...thats just plain stupid. :beercheers: Common sense, people. :mc_smiley:

there is a picture somewhere of two rangers standing by the stuck nissan. I was a hill or two away and everyone was just waiting for that one to take the quick way down.

I love watching them, but I would never do it. My sammy made a resque mission on sunday, and as I passed the stuck black chevy I think they tied the pull strap to the tie rod and pulled the tie rod off as they pulled. The sammy with 4 paddles works great btw.

You are allowed to do it @ pismo. Heck, 1/4 of the crowd over there dunes their trucks!! Remember though, pismo has ant hills compared to dumont.

also, what if you are on a tow rescue mission?

it looks like that chevy broke his tie rods......a major weak spot in the chevy front ends :rolleyes:

You're right. I've never made it to Dumont but the dunes are huge and from what I've been told the sand is much softer.

I used to "dune" my truck. Then I listened to a friend 3rotortrav about all the issues he had experienced and figured its not worth it to break the tow vehicle cuz the tow bill can get expensive. I didn't even dune it last thanksgiving but still managed to break the front ring gear pulling people out. Luckily I still had RWD to get home. It was hell getting my big trailer out in just 2wd.

there is a picture somewhere of two rangers standing by the stuck nissan. I was a hill or two away and everyone was just waiting for that one to take the quick way down.

I love watching them, but I would never do it. My sammy made a resque mission on sunday, and as I passed the stuck black chevy I think they tied the pull strap to the tie rod and pulled the tie rod off as they pulled. The sammy with 4 paddles works great btw.

Need pictures of this samurai with paddles as i might be acquiring another one :D

Yup, that's what we were thinkin'!! I wonder who the :rolleyes: was that thought of that! :D