What's the nicest thing someone has done for you?

sand chick

This one just totally restored my confidence in human kindness!

When my 16 yr old son, Michael aka:wa.statecrew, was visiting for springbreak, I got him to the airport late. He then had to take a later flight with a 2 hr layover in LAX. He is a frequent flyer and has flown all over by himself since he was three. This however was his first experience in LA.

First off he gets lost in the airport, the stewardess told him the wrong terminal. Then a security guard told him the right terminal, but the flight number that was on his ticket did not match the time that he was supposed to leave. He was beginning to panic, as his plane was supposed to leave in 15 mins. We found out his flight, that was supposed to leave at 6:45pm was now leaving at 9:45pm and he wouldn't get into Portland until after 1:00am.

After all of that, he then informs me that he has no money to buy dinner with. :freakin_nuts:

So I find a website that lists all the resturants in his terminal, and start calling them to see if I can pay for his dinner over the phone. I finally got ahold of a resturant and explained the situation to a girl named Shannon said she would try to get that approved and call me back in 5 mins. I wait 10 min and call back thinking she must think I am a wacko. She said she was still waiting for approval give her 5 more mins. She calls back and says she can't get it approved.

Then she says just send him down here and I'll personally give him $20.00. I explained to her what he looked like and gave her his name, and got her address to send her back her money. I called Michael and told him what to do and told him to call me when he had something to eat. Shortly later he calls and says he's eating and that Shannon had given him $20!

Who does this anymore?? Giving a total stranger money? I sent her a Thank You card and $30!

So whats the nicest thing someone has done for you?

:no_no: I thought long and hard, and I can't think of a stranger doing me any favors personally. It's usually the other way around. However, some of the folks I met through DDR have helped me in many ways....even before they met me in person. :freakin_nuts:

I did get a complete stranger at Dumont to charge my bro-in-laws nitrogen shocks...twice...and lent him a battery for the weekend. All because I asked.

Nice real-life story...thanks for sharing. Wish there were more people out there like that.

That is a GREAT story!!

I have to say that I am hoping that deep down inside MOST people are generally nice.

Here's my story, we were out at lake Mead a few years ago at mid point out of Calleville.

We get ready to leave boat wont start, thinking its a dead battery we hiked to our neigbors camp site about 1/2 mile away accross the cove.

They came over no questions asked. he cant get it started so he gets his buddies boat. Still no go.. I am thiking WTF maybe the starter went out. Long story short rangers NEVER came after caling on there UHF radio many times and they said they would! We had no water, no food etc as it was a day trip and we ate and drank all we had brang.

So these folks give us all the beer, wine coolers we could drink and water. Plus cooked us all (4 of us) a steak, and alll the fixings and then the next morning towed us back into Calleville. That is one heck of a haul esp pulling in a boat.

I tried to give them all the money I had about $50 he would NOT take it no matter what I said or did.

So now I try to help peeps all the time. Towed people out all the time at Dumont, at mission bay etc. and have given people at registers money when they were short. (never over a few $$) so Shannon ROCKS

Edited by Paul Rob

This one just totally restored my confidence in human kindness!

When my 16 yr old son, Michael aka:wa.statecrew, was visiting for springbreak, I got him to the airport late. He then had to take a later flight with a 2 hr layover in LAX. He is a frequent flyer and has flown all over by himself since he was three. This however was his first experience in LA.

First off he gets lost in the airport, the stewardess told him the wrong terminal. Then a security guard told him the right terminal, but the flight number that was on his ticket did not match the time that he was supposed to leave. He was beginning to panic, as his plane was supposed to leave in 15 mins. We found out his flight, that was supposed to leave at 6:45pm was now leaving at 9:45pm and he wouldn't get into Portland until after 1:00am.

After all of that, he then informs me that he has no money to buy dinner with. :freakin_nuts:

So I find a website that lists all the resturants in his terminal, and start calling them to see if I can pay for his dinner over the phone. I finally got ahold of a resturant and explained the situation to a girl named Shannon said she would try to get that approved and call me back in 5 mins. I wait 10 min and call back thinking she must think I am a wacko. She said she was still waiting for approval give her 5 more mins. She calls back and says she can't get it approved.

Then she says just send him down here and I'll personally give him $20.00. I explained to her what he looked like and gave her his name, and got her address to send her back her money. I called Michael and told him what to do and told him to call me when he had something to eat. Shortly later he calls and says he's eating and that Shannon had given him $20!

Who does this anymore?? Giving a total stranger money? I sent her a Thank You card and $30!

So whats the nicest thing someone has done for you?

That was an awesome story.

We always try to do for others whenever possible because you never know when you might be the one in need and maybe someone might help you. When coming home from Dumont after Thanksgiving we pulled over east of Kramer Junction for the kids to go pee and a guy pulled over beside us, he was pulling a boat and his trailer tire had a leak and was almost flat so we offered to air him up and he mentioned that he had been in traffic so long that he ws runing low on fuel so we gave him the rest of the fuel we had in one of the cans (about 5 gal.). He was very appreciative and was off on his way.

And just yesterday my 10 yr old found a wallet in the road and the boy he was with took the money out of it ($25) and gave my son the wallet back and then he took off, so my son brought the wallet home and explained what happened and we went to the boys house and as soon as my husband started walking up to the house the boy came out with the money in hand. Anyway we called the neighborhood school and it belonged to a 6th grade girl there. I'm so glad my son is learning to do the right thing, what comes around goes around.

It's nice when someone does something just to be kind, restores your faith that there are still some decent people out there.

Edited by raptorgirl

:freakin_nuts: Some nice things DDR members have done for me recently...

Vegas Style took my quad to Dumont a couple weekends ago just so I could make a day trip.

Nlvredneck gave me a dmc alien pipe and did all the work on my bike.

:no_no:

It may not be much, but the little things matter too and I appreciate everything.

A few years back we were on a trailer vaca in the redwoods in northern CA. The #7 rod decided not to play anymore in the 5.9 v8 DODGE. :thumbsdown: We were stuck in Ukiah. Called some friends in Modesto. They drove all the way to Ukiah, :banghead::beerpint: and towed the trailer home. I drove that Dodge truck from Ukiah all the way to Dublin where I work, Knockin and bangin! :blury: Gotta love peeps that will drive the extra 200 miles to save your azz! :shake::idiot::laughing: Gotta love them dodge trucks too! :slap:

Thanks again Bill & Amber!!!!!!

one time i was at dumont riding and i caught a rut and flipped my quad just a small roll but i bailed and my quad was flipped almost upside down but kinda on the side and i was only 13 so i couldnt flip it back so i stood there not knowing what to do and a few people rode by and this dude on a 2 wheeler with long hair rides by and is like dude you need help and just lays his bike down takes his helmet off and flipped it over for me i was like thanks dude and he picked up his bike and rode off. i prolly would have stayed there for a while but it was really cool that he just layed down his nice bike and offers to help but other people just rode by. :thumbsdown:

i guess its not the nicest thing someone has done for me but its all i could think of

Edited by tanner54

Just a few months ago for my birthday all my friends got together and bought me

a 2.0 subaru motor and the adaptor plate, clutch and pressure plate as a suprise

birthday present .I couldn't believe all those guys got that pulled together without

me or my wife knowing anything. That is a great bunch of very good friends my

dune family. Thanks again guys it will be in and running by next season.

:2cents::beerpint: :dance: :laughoff:

i borrowed my boss's early 80's jeep and took it out to the desert as soon as i turned off the highway and hit the dirt road the thing just cut out on me so still doing a decent speed i popped the clutch and got it going again for a few more feet.. then all of a sudden i see the hood starting to bubble!!! im like WTF this cant be good. I hop outta the drivers seat AS fast as possible. start scurring around hoping my boss had a fire extinguisher in his jeep luckily he did... pulled it out.. and got electricuted trying to open the hood latch.. that was fun.. As soon as i got the hood open whooosh big ball of fire... pull the pin and start squirtin away with the fire extinguisher ( come to find out it was 10yrs old and my boss was surprised it still worked!), So after sitting there looking at the damage trying to figure out WTF to do next i grab my cell phone and whattya know no cell reception so i look around and see a camp a ways over and happen to walk up and ask if they had a phone that worked. He didnt and offered to hook up to the jeep and tow me up to the store ( jeep was setup for flat towing ) so i could make arrangements to get picked up. As we were chatting he asked what you guys doing out here told him i came out to see some old family friends.. so he offered to drag us and the jeep around the desert trying to find them so we could get home. To no luck he left us at the store i offered him some cash but he didnt want any. I shook his hand and thanked him while i hopped on the payphone to call my folks to come get us. :D

Buggychick puttin put with all my :bs: over the past 10 yrs. And all my :laughoff: sh*t!

Oh yeah and I got a buddy, Bernie, who brings parts in the middle of the night, in the middle of the desert and never asks for anything in return. Drops whatever he's doing. :grin:

And I have a very good friend who helped me out when I needed to get these large bouys outa Shasta Lake! :flipoff::finger:

Buggychick puttin put with all my :bs: over the past 10 yrs. And all my :laughoff: sh*t!

Oh yeah and I got a buddy, Bernie, who brings parts in the middle of the night, in the middle of the desert and never asks for anything in return. Drops whatever he's doing. :bs:

And I have a very good friend who helped me out when I needed to get these large bouys outa Shasta Lake! :flipoff::grin:

You must have some big orange balls to make a statement like that!

I was just remembering that yesterday :finger:

In 1998 my hubby went riding at Dumont with a buddy. We didn't have any toys then so he was riding one of the other guy's quads. My husband was leading and BAM he wrecked. When the other guy got to him, his eyes, nose, and mouth were full of sand and he wasn't breathing. Rob got his mouth cleared out and got him breathing again, loaded him up (911 didn't work out there then, or else he said he wouldn't have moved him) and drove him all the way back here to St. Rose. Rob called me at work and waited til I got there to be with my husband before he left. He came back to my house and got my neighbor and they drove all the way back to Dumont and in the middle of the night found both quads and drove back. My hubby suffered compression fracture of the back, sprained wrist and lots of bruises but it could of been much worse. Rob is my hero for saving my honey's life and my neighbor is my hero for leaving his house in the middle of the night to go help Rob get his toys (or what was left of the one)

In 1998 my hubby went riding at Dumont with a buddy. We didn't have any toys then so he was riding one of the other guy's quads. My husband was leading and BAM he wrecked. When the other guy got to him, his eyes, nose, and mouth were full of sand and he wasn't breathing. Rob got his mouth cleared out and got him breathing again, loaded him up (911 didn't work out there then, or else he said he wouldn't have moved him) and drove him all the way back here to St. Rose. Rob called me at work and waited til I got there to be with my husband before he left. He came back to my house and got my neighbor and they drove all the way back to Dumont and in the middle of the night found both quads and drove back. My hubby suffered compression fracture of the back, sprained wrist and lots of bruises but it could of been much worse. Rob is my hero for saving my honey's life and my neighbor is my hero for leaving his house in the middle of the night to go help Rob get his toys (or what was left of the one)

Wow, you have got an awesome friend!

wow i remember that i dont think ive ever been more scared in my life.

Damn, that was nice, expecially in L.A.

No chit...I grew up there. That's 1 in a million.

And she spoke good english?! post-1889-1178341292.gif

Damn, shame on me, must be that inner monologue speaking out loud again! :disco-dance:

I have to say that I am the one to do Random Acts of Kindness cause that is just what I do but I HAVE to say that my freind Danny is the best. He is always there when I get my A$$ into some project that I can do "I DON'T EFFN NEED KNOWONE" He has to be the most giving person I know. And wants nothing back! Cause that is just who he is.

Pay it Forward! :disco-dance:

so far nothing yet that was memorable i 'm used to defending for my self that includes (unloading washer and driers out of my truck with no help etc. etc. ) :disco-dance: not good for the back . but no nothing yet but when it happens i'll be sure to find this thread and tell my experience. oh no i forgot the best thing is my parents hooked me up with life and brought me into this great world . :disco-dance: