Just picked up the new rail

dunefreak

Well here it is. :dope:

normal_IMG_1438~0.JPG

Some of you may know what happened to me back in January of this year, some of you don't. I didn't feel like posting anything about it at the time because it was kind of a sore subject for me and my friend that was involved. The kinda short version of the story is this: I was in a bad spot and a bad time at the dunes and got hit by my buddy's rail. It was pretty scary, but in the end it couldn't have turned out much better. The old car suffered some minor bends in some of the main frame tubes. It was about the same price or cheaper for Larry (Short Sand Cars) to just replace the frame all together. Luckily my insurance company (Allstate) completely covered the whole thing thank god. Other than a small cut on my wrist and my knee getting banged up a little, luckily nobody was hurt. It could have been much worse.

So...since the accident I have been pretty paranoid about safety. I talked with Larry about doing the new frame in chromolly instead of mild steel. He had no problem doing whatever I wanted. It was slightly more, but I didn't care about price at this point. I had him do this frame out of .095 chromolly and added lots more bracing to it. He added full size braced bars to the front end and x-braced them. We also x-braced the roof. B-pillars were added along with some more support below them. Bracing was put in between the lower front control arms. The cross bracing was up'd from 7/8" to 1". The bar behind the seat was also up'd from 1" to 1 1/4".

Then came the fun part. Time for a new color. Out with the old and in with the new. I loved the blue but felt it was ginxed. I went with a satin black frame with the bright green metallic panels and accents. I think it came out awesome. I love it even more than the last car. It weighes about 100-150 lbs more, but it doesn't feel much different in power. I still want to add a turbo one of these days though. :driver::dunno:

Here are some more pics...

normal_IMG_1440~0.JPG

normal_IMG_1443~0.JPG

New car next to the old chassis pictured here whic is now FO SALE

normal_IMG_1437~0.JPG

normal_IMG_1444~0.JPG

normal_IMG_1446~0.JPG

normal_IMG_1447~0.JPG

normal_IMG_1448~0.JPG

normal_IMG_1453~0.JPG

should I be sad? NAH! Just look at the new car! :censored:

normal_IMG_1461~0.JPG

loading the old chassis up in the back of the truck :laughing:

normal_IMG_1462~0.JPG

normal_IMG_1466~0.JPG

Here's me getting a pic with Larry and Nannette Short. They have got to be some of the nicest people to ever deal with. 200% customer satisfaction!!!! :clap::bowdown:

normal_IMG_1472~0.JPG

http://shortsandcars.com/

It sucked driving ALL the way back up to Salt Lake City, BUT we managed to squeeze in a trip to LITTLE SAHARA on the way back. :censored::censored: That place is AWESOME. (I'll get more into that in the trip report :D) But here are a few pics of the car in the sand! :beat:

normal_IMG_1546~0.JPG

normal_IMG_1549~0.JPG

normal_IMG_1548~0.JPG

normal_IMG_1550~0.JPG

normal_IMG_1551~0.JPG

normal_IMG_1552~0.JPG

normal_IMG_1565~0.JPG

normal_IMG_1568~0.JPG

normal_IMG_1572~0.JPG

normal_IMG_1575~0.JPG

normal_IMG_1579~0.JPG

normal_IMG_1580~0.JPG

normal_IMG_1583~0.JPG

normal_IMG_1594~0.JPG

normal_IMG_1598~0.JPG

normal_IMG_1606~0.JPG

Pictures don't even to it justice, You gotta see this green in the sun and in person. :lol:

Needless to say. I'm happy. :grin:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks great Pete ! :dunno: What ya lookin to get for the old frame ?

Thanks John.

I asked Larry what he thought it was worth. He said that frame new with what it currently has (fully tabbed, side panels, floor panels, gas tank straps, rear carrier, radiator, rear trailing arms, and all the mounts) would run about 4-5K. He siad with just the couple bars that are slightly tweeked it is still well worth about 2K. So I will probably be putting it up in the classifieds sometime soon if a friend of mine doesn't want it first. I thought of keeping it too and building another car, but ...ya know. :dope::beat:

That satin black is a great idea holds up to the sand blast and shouldn't spot (from oil etc) like the flat. Man I wish my car wasn't gloss black... Anyways, new car looks SWEET and all's well that ends well. :dunno:

Let me add a couple of pics here myself!

Getting ready for the first dune run!! :beat::censored::censored:

post-2396-1211854450_thumb.jpg

post-2396-1211854505_thumb.jpg

post-2396-1211854545_thumb.jpg

post-2396-1211854571_thumb.jpg

First sand!! :dunno:

post-2396-1211854691_thumb.jpg

I left a puddle of....................drool on it! :dope:

I got second ride! Thanks again Pete!

It just flew over those rollers! Yiah! Yiah! MAFACAZZZZZ!!!!

I am still grinning!! :censored::lol::laughing::bowdown:

post-2396-1211854724_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the compliments guys! And thanks for the extra pics, Jodi. Glad I was able to squeeze a ride in for ya. I was about to load up and said wait a sec. Jodi NEEDS a ride before we leave otherwise I will never hear the end of it. :dope: Good times. :beat:

That satin black is a great idea holds up to the sand blast and shouldn't spot (from oil etc) like the flat. Man I wish my car wasn't gloss black... Anyways, new car looks SWEET and all's well that ends well. :dunno:

Yeah I thought long and hard about the black. Black shows alot of blemishes very easily so I was hesitant to do it, but the satin is perfect. It won't show too much sand blast and is also pretty easy to touch up.

Thanks, I love it. Looking forward to finally meeting up for soem runs now that I have my car back. :D

Damn Pete- that car looks gooood. Nice choice on colors too. Going to be a looooooooong summer for you. I bet you will squeeze out a full moon night run sooner or later.

Have fun with the new toy and try to keep this one a tad bit longer!

No Intercom? what gives?

Edited by bp-guy

Well here it is. :dunno:

Other than a small cut on my wrist

Damn Pete....all that time on the road is turnin you EMO??? :beat::dope::censored:

Needless to say. I'm happy. :censored:

thats what its all about ma man!!!!

I showed the pics to string, he's all fired up.... good choice on the colors...gonna look good @ the D for holloween! :censored:

No Intercom? what gives?

Not yet. :laughing: It can always be added later. I'd like to get one eventually.

u go through a lot of rails :beat:

but at least every time u get a new one they are nicer and nicer

:bowdown:

Tell me about it. :grin::censored: Not anymore. This is it dammit!!!! :clap:

Damn Pete....all that time on the road is turnin you EMO??? :lol::censored::laughing:

thats what its all about ma man!!!!

I showed the pics to string, he's all fired up.... good choice on the colors...gonna look good @ the D for holloween! :driver:

Fuggin EMO. :dunno::censored:

Halloween is a no go for me in 08. I have different plans next season. Halloween has been bad luck every year for the past couple years. I am doing kickoff weekend at D, then a trip to G the week before Halloween this year. :dope: New car...new traditions. :D

post-591-1211863821_thumb.gif Awesome Pete! post-591-1211863821_thumb.gif

:laughing: I thought you were gonna get the BIG holes in the side panels this time?? :beat:

Dude, I'm stoked for you guys. Yiah MuffHuggin' Yiah. :dunno::dope:

:banghead: You gonna bring it to Havasizzzle so we can see it in person??? :banghead:

:censored::censored::censored::lol::laughing::bowdown::driver::grin:

Great colors. Very original. I like it mang. :clap:

R-

:foshizz:

Oh yeah, Them lights look awesome on your car.

Edited by Randog