economy and duners

dunefreak

Economy affecting duners  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Will the economy affect your duning lifestyle next season?

• I'm taking advantage of the slow market and buying more/ better toys
    • I doubt anything will change for me
    • Cutting back - I will be doing less trips
    • I'll be lucky to squeeze in some trips at all
    • I'm selling my toys and getting out of it all together

I have read on many other sites about how the price of diesel & slow real estate market has really hit some duners hard. Sand toys that were once funded by home equity are now being sold by alot of people. Diesel prices are probably going to keep alot of people from being able to do as many trips. Etc etc. It's crazy how much stuff is for sale right now.

I can say that the price of diesel will make my trips more expensive, but if you look at it this way...the total extra cost of my dune trip will be about $35 more is all. :beer_bang:

Luckily all my toys (bikes & rail) are paid for and I am fortunate enough to be in a field where it hasn't seen any major decline.

I'm just curious how much it has or will affect most on here for next season. I bet there will alot less people out there. What do ya think?

:whoop:

I don't think I'll be making any less trips. I usually do at least one per month/ maybe two and fortunately it looks like that should stay the same for me next season.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive got alot going on over the next year with retirement and needing to buy a house someplace, I'll probably be making about a trip a month as well. Might not come out here and there, but overall probably about the same as last. The longer trips for me will probably be out though, like Glamis and such, just to much stuff going on.... :whoop:

my career field hasnt been hit by the economy by much....maybe not as big of a raise as we negotiated last year, but :beer_bang:.

already got string a new quad so far...and have my sites on another toy hauler in the future, as we have already outgrown the attitude a looooong time ago.

I am already planning on going to Dumont more than I did last year...(a whole two times for me last year :whoop::lol:...which was twice as much as in the past)....so mentally, it does effect me, but like dunefreak said, when you do the math....the extra diesel is ultimately under 50 bucks per trip, if not, one way....

on the other hand....i have seen people selling their diesels left and right, as well as toy haulers, toys....anything and everything they accumulated during the (synthetic...imo) economic boom we had the last 8 + years.

its freekin sad to call someone up that you have ridden with in the past and ask them about a trip, only to here, "bro, i had to sell all my stuff, my house is in forclosure.etc..." peeps are taking a :censored::lol::lol::lol: down economically IF they didnt prepare for the downfall

I plan on going MORE. I economized by downsizing to one vehicle that does everything I need and is decent on gas, and got rid of the 2 seperate vehicles I had. I think you're right about the fundng of the toys, those that finance everything are gonna hurt more than those of us that own outright. It's a harsh reality for some, but I think it'll make our weekends at Dumont less congested, so good for those of us that can still go. That's my 2 cents. Hey wait, gimme that back, I need to save it to buy gas... LOL.

I plan on going MORE. I economized by downsizing to one vehicle that does everything I need and is decent on gas, and got rid of the 2 seperate vehicles I had. I think you're right about the fundng of the toys, those that finance everything are gonna hurt more than those of us that own outright. It's a harsh reality for some, but I think it'll make our weekends at Dumont less congested, so good for those of us that can still go. That's my 2 cents. Hey wait, gimme that back, I need to save it to buy gas... LOL.

:censored::whoop::lol: :beer_bang:

Heck I DOUBLED my pay when I moved to Vegas! And that's for a starting wage! :lol: I don't see anything costing more by living here then it did in Yucca! Actually its cheaper here as far as gas is concerned! I talked to Bob over the weekend and he said regular gas was up to $4.65 in Yucca!! :beer_bang: :censored:

I own my quad outright.

And it also helps to have two people spliting the cost of fuel intead of just one! :D I think within our camp we are going to try and cut down on some of the extra costs by spliting up the food duties and having each person in camp cook one dinner for everyone. It takes some organization, but we have one of the best camp directors out there! :lol::lol::whoop:

Cut our food costs in half for Memorial Day! AND we didn't buy as much of the JUNK food either! I would rather spend a little more on gas :D and NOT buy 4 different bags of chips that just get half eaten and thrown away anyways! :lol:

I'm in the process of buying a house right now so all my money is going toward that. I am still going to try and make it out atleast once a month but we will see. With fuel costs going up it's not just gas that is getting expensive. Everthing is getting more expensive. Pretty soon it will be cheaper to run unleaded race fuel than regular. Unleaded race fuel is still only $6.299 a gallon.

I hope to make more trips this year than last. Cost of diesel is stoopid.. But duning is fun like no other. I am in the aerospace industry as everyone knows there is no stopping anytime soon. Plan on purchasing my first hauler. Already own my toys but I will finance the 28FTR. As mentioned the forums are packed with Awesome deals right now and it has been very hard to resist some of the deals out there. Hope to meet DDR peeps this next season

well , it has hit me pretty hard. I am closing the doors and going back to work !!

things havn't been the same since I broke my back , and now the economy . I will be in much better shape , I hope everyone else pulls through ok !!

my career field hasnt been hit by the economy by much....maybe not as big of a raise as we negotiated last year, but :dunno:.

already got string a new quad so far...and have my sites on another toy hauler in the future,

as we have already outgrown the attitude a looooong time ago.

:lol::lol: Are you kiddin' me? Cheese outgrow his attitude? :dunno::lol::lol:

Just messin' with ya brotha Cheese. :whoop:

Well, for me it's slowed way down at work, with hopes it picks up soon. :censored:

As for the dunes,

I honestly think the dunes are what I live for most the time. :lol:

I will be doing whatever I need to :boxer: to continue the frequency.

Hope this economy doesn't hurt my fellow DDR MuffHuggas too much. :beer_bang:

We have just gots to keep punishing them dunes. :mc::blink::mc::blink:

However, it's gettin' time to roll out the welder, yank the trans, clutch, CVs, heims and all dat chit. :lol:

Already bought my race fuel. :D

the buisness that im in hasnt hit us yet and i keep getting raises and im going to attempt to take advantage of the situation and buy a house here soon.. Cheap homes thats for sure. I am definatley glad we waited instead of buying that damn condo 2 years ago when it was 150k for a condo in a not so good part of town.. EFF THAT.. now for the same price i can get a nice 2 story place in a quiet neigborhood that has a garage :D

My dune trips are always up in the air. My boss is starting a new venture where im pretty much the focal point as far as it goes so i will probably be doing a bit more traveling this year so ill make it when i can make it i spose..

Guest Crasher

well , it has hit me pretty hard. I am closing the doors and going back to work !!

things havn't been the same since I broke my back , and now the economy . I will be in much better shape , I hope everyone else pulls through ok !!

You are?? I'm really sorry to hear that Dan. It's a shame how the ecomony is affecting hardworking business owners. :(

We hope to make it out to the dunes as much as we did last year. We actually cut our trips in half last season. We've often thought of selling everything (its all owned outright) and paying off our debt, but then we would be miserable. So, we are holding our own for now, but definitely, this economy is killing us right now. Even if the government isn't willing to admit we are in a "recession". Stupid retards. :beer_bang: What more will it take for them to figure it out???? People are losing their homes to foreclosure and kids are going without health insurance because their parents can't afford it or don't have jobs. We actually had a whole family of squatters living 2 doors down from us in a foreclosed home. Dad, Mom, 2 kids. How horrible to have live like that. :whoop:

Guest Crasher

Just saw this one :whoop: You did the right thing Amanda - no use having 2 vehicles (more maintenance and insurance anyway).

Now, let's get you out there more!! I can't wait to race Comp with you now on your nearly-new Z400!! Woo hoo!! :beer_bang:

considering i have to now work saturdays just to pay the taxes and have enough fuel for the week. i will probly be planning less out of town trips. at least the toys are paid for. :D

Yeah I mean, if you're not doing the full blown, diesel truck with the huge toy hauler, all the toys...

Thats when those day trips come in handy...

but most of the time we all act like the american sand duners we are and do it BIG

Luckily, knock on wood, business has been booming for us in billboards, getting at least 40-50 hours a week. Seeing as how I still live at home rent free, I've been able to wisley use my money to pay off some bills, and start saving some money.

If things keep up, I will definitely be making as many dune trips as I can this year and next season.

Well unfortunately for me, not sure ill be making it to the dunes at all next season. With the mortgage disaster I lost 2 jobs in a year. After 8 months finally found a county job, but im making 1/2 what I used to. I also have to work weekends now.

It really really sucks, cause being at the dunes is what I most look forward to. But with the economy being what it is, Im definately glad to have a job.

I do own my quad outright, but making pymts on the hauler. Hopefully ill be able to keep it with my financial situation. Day by day right now :rockwoot:

We'll still be going to the dunes this season. The cost of gas and diesel hurts, but we just cut back on other things, if need be. Last year, we started buying smarter for our trips and not going hog wild at Costco and the grocery store for 2 PEOPLE! :rockwoot: Okay, and 2 dogs, too!

it has hit me but not too bad. just have to adjust my free spending and volunteer for more overtime when its there. trips should stay the same maybe make them a little longer because the fuel to get out there is the biggest increase. and like others have said the difference is pretty small per trip.

im hit pretty hard. im changing my focus bussiness wise and hoping to pull off a miracle ( lot of praying) as for the toys i own them all outright. i am dumping the ones i dont want ( the sand toys are not on that list for now) im day by day and praying for a miracle.....................................

We had to cancel our planned Idaho trip this summer when my fuel budget doubled. Maybe next year... I dunno. But the tradeoff I had to make was, one trip to St. Anthony's or four trips to Glamis/Dumont. No-brainer there, at least for me.

I don't see us getting out of playing in the dirt and sand, we all love it waaaaay too much. But we will have to watch the budget a little closer.