Inyo PO POs in Tecopa Monday handing out tickets

Eliminator

:isbb::beercheers::headbang1::headbang1::ban-split:

this is exactly right. i got busted for some bs in the dunes and had to go to court in barstow 3 f'n times.. and while i was there i was talking to a few other people and appearantly california police are arresting people for j walking now! j walking!!!! same as ticketing bicycle riders for not walking bikes across an intersection, speeding 1-2 mph over the limit, and other nonsense like this. oh and if you are caught going over 100 on any road or highway that can land you in jail as well as suspension of license. arnold's broke @ss just needs more money plain and simple.

i had a few buddies that got tickets passing tecopa too for having their trucks lifted too high and something about the headlights being too high off the road. more BS :ban-split:

and everybody talking about fighting tickets, its not that easy. it requires you to show up to court in another city or state (depending where you live), on weekdays only (which most people have to work durring), and almost always you will have to return more than once if you plead not guilty in order to have a trial. thats how my experience with the california courts has gone. its sh*tty they make it a huge pain in the @ss for out-of-towners ON PURPOSE

it's all BS :banghead:

spend those tax dollars trying to catch criminals, not people visiting their state to have fun and spend money

Just thought I'd chime in about the class A license requirements. I'm hearing about more and more instances where guys are getting popped for gvwr/ license infractions. the solution: go take your test for the class A: Please be aware that as a class A licensee:

- you get 1 1/2 points for each infraction vs. 1 point for the class c driver

and,

-you do not get the priveledge of traffic school to keep your record clean.

You are allowed more points, but your insurance doesn't consider all that when you renew with 1.5 or 3 points. Take it from this diesel dummy, you get a class A:

you better drive like grandpa snail. 2 more things when towing your big old T.H. in CA:

55 mph(duh, I know, this is posted)

but also

Right hand lane on a 3 lane, or right 2 lanes on a 4 or more lane fwy. (not posted, but believe me, they enforce it!)

Oh yeah, for the class A driver, 15 mph over the posted speed limit becomes wreckless driving, vs. 25 over for the class C driver, regardless of what kind of vehicle you are in.

Happy motoring in the golden state :flipoff: :rant_on:

Edited by andydew

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think John(1320) is the only one that said he had a non-commercial class A???

Hey John.....What exactly did you have to do???

Im guessing that "runningafever" is talking about a california non cdl class a?

In Nv, when I got my non com class a, I went to the west flamingo dmv. (buffalo) I took what I think was a 20 question test. Then upon passing that , they gave me an appointment for the driving test. I submitted no medical paper work of any kind. Several weeks later I showed up with my trailer (empty) to take the driving test. They had to call a supervisor and have another "tester" go with to learn how to give the test, because they had never done one before. I had to do the check list test first. You have to point to AND TOUCH each item. If you point to the lug nuts you get marked off.....If you point to the brake master cap....you get marked off. It was painful for me......I mean I have to point to and touch something on my truck? I built my truck.....like every piece, and know more about it then dodge.....and they still marked me off for not touching something....(cant remeber what now)

Then the driving test. They took me on just city streets, marked me off for not staying on the inside lane on a rt hand turn.....and my truck and trailer is 64 ft 9 inches (trailer is 50 ft) so short of lifting it with a crane, and turning it in mid air, its impossible. No big deal, I still passed with a couple points deducted.

They gave me my license on the spot......I already have my "M" for motercycles, and they commented that I could legally drive anything for my own purposes. It even says right on , class A (doubles, triples)

I have gotten a few tickets and its never been any issue at all regarding traffic school, but the last few I gave to a company attourney to take care of.

California most certainly differs.....since nothing they do makes any dam sense at all.

So what's the verdict for those of us in NV that go into CA? Is the J endorsement good enough or does it have to be a class A?

If you are licensed and registered in NV then you are required to have the proper class/endorcements for NV not for CA.

Non-commercial class A is for GVWR over 26,000lbs

Under 26,000lbs, but over 10,000lbs is J endorcement

Under 10,000lbs is a regular class C license

If you are licensed and registered in NV then you are required to have the proper class/endorcements for NV not for CA.

Non-commercial class A is for GVWR over 26,000lbs

Under 26,000lbs, but over 10,000lbs is J endorcement

Under 10,000lbs is a regular class C license

if your tow vehicle is over 26000 GVWR then you need an A

a class c is fine for all pickups but when you TOW over 10k you need a J endorsement.

Im thinking off getting a class a non-comercial. I currently drive a 40'M/H and pull a 26' trailer, yeah I know Im over the limit. But my question is when I go take the driving test do I have to go go with M/H trailer combination, or can I stick my trailer behind my dually and still take the test.

Im thinking off getting a class a non-comercial. I currently drive a 40'M/H and pull a 26' trailer, yeah I know Im over the limit. But my question is when I go take the driving test do I have to go go with M/H trailer combination, or can I stick my trailer behind my dually and still take the test.

IN CA? In CA you'll need either a single vehicle over 26K GVWR or a trailer who's GVWR is over 10K if pull behind and over 15K if 5th wheel.

IN CA? In CA you'll need either a single vehicle over 26K GVWR or a trailer who's GVWR is over 10K if pull behind and over 15K if 5th wheel.

Im here in Vegas, and my 26' box trailer has a GVW of 11,000#. My question is can I stick that behind my ford f-350 for the driving test, or do I have to attach the trailer behind my M/H which has a GVW of 42,000#

snip

Iam a law abiding citizen, and usually i dont care if a police officer wants to search my vehicle, then go right ahead, but if they are a jerk, then i just tell them NO. usually they ask if i have something to hide and i tell them no, i just dont think you need to invade my privacy in hopes to find something to write me a ticket. so....get a warrant...usually ill be on my way within 10 minutes.

Anyone who has been pulled over while driving can relate to the sinking feeling that strikes once the multicolor police lights ricochet off the rear-view mirrors and into the drivers sight. Once the cars are parked on the side of the road, the officer confidently strides toward the car and requests paperwork. Then, nonchalantly, he springs the question: Can I search your car?

Probable Cause

I don't think you EVER HAVE to consent. If they think they have probable cause they are gonna do it anyway. If they ask you if you have something to hide you still have the right not to incriminate yourself even if you are breaking the law.

The legal advise I got was: "There is case law supporting probable cause in every possible direction. It's simply a matter of finding a case that supports your situation." Unfortunately the DA knows that too.

CCW instructors in Nevada often tell you to declare the weapon during a traffic stop. That's simply common sense, nobody wants to surprise a cop with a weapon but to my knowledge there is no Nevada law requiring you to do so. In an interesting twist often applied in North Vegas and Henderson. When you tell the officer your CCW he may search your vehicle even without possible cause "because he's required to make the weapon safe" or so they will claim. So if he's run your plate through the database and it comes back you are a permit holder, can he then search your vehicle? I say not, he still doesn't have probable cause but North Vegas and Henderson disagree by their actions.

Regardless it's stupid position for them to take. IMHO it makes the streets more dangerous for everybody including the cop on the street. If you have the right not to incriminate yourself if you are doing so illegally, why would the street cops want to hassle somebody that's already gone through the permit process and clearly wants to be legal? The answer simply seems to because they think they can. Those that are legal should be able to declare without getting hassled over it especially when they are not required to do so.

IMHO These two cities and the officers that pull this crap truly belong in the state of California and it seems they would be in similar company at Tecopa.

Eli

on the non- commercial class A for Cali, i heard and was told 100 different things, DMV even gave me the wrong info. I went to a CHP office and asked the people that would be writing me the ticket what the law was, i am over weight so, i am getting a non-commmercial class A. Currently waiting to take the driving test.

its cheap and worth the time.

on the non- commercial class A for Cali, i heard and was told 100 different things, DMV even gave me the wrong info. I went to a CHP office and asked the people that would be writing me the ticket what the law was, i am over weight so, i am getting a non-commmercial class A. Currently waiting to take the driving test.

its cheap and worth the time.

How long is the wait for the drive test?

Capt

How long is the wait for the drive test?

Capt

Jim got an email from the DMV today ref the J endorcement process, they said you have to take a written test to get a permit first then make an appt for the driving skills test. They said not all DMV locations do the driving test so you have to check which locations have someone qualified and make an appt with them. They didn't say how long you had to have the permit for before you could take the skills test or what kind of restrictions came with the permit or anything like that.

I don't think you EVER HAVE to consent. If they think they have probable cause they are gonna do it anyway. If they ask you if you have something to hide you still have the right not to incriminate yourself even if you are breaking the law.

The legal advise I got was: "There is case law supporting probable cause in every possible direction. It's simply a matter of finding a case that supports your situation." Unfortunately the DA knows that too.

CCW instructors in Nevada often tell you to declare the weapon during a traffic stop. That's simply common sense, nobody wants to surprise a cop with a weapon but to my knowledge there is no Nevada law requiring you to do so. In an interesting twist often applied in North Vegas and Henderson. When you tell the officer your CCW he may search your vehicle even without possible cause "because he's required to make the weapon safe" or so they will claim. So if he's run your plate through the database and it comes back you are a permit holder, can he then search your vehicle? I say not, he still doesn't have probable cause but North Vegas and Henderson disagree by their actions.

Regardless it's stupid position for them to take. IMHO it makes the streets more dangerous for everybody including the cop on the street. If you have the right not to incriminate yourself if you are doing so illegally, why would the street cops want to hassle somebody that's already gone through the permit process and clearly wants to be legal? The answer simply seems to because they think they can. Those that are legal should be able to declare without getting hassled over it especially when they are not required to do so.

IMHO These two cities and the officers that pull this crap truly belong in the state of California and it seems they would be in similar company at Tecopa.

Eli

True, they do not have to have consent to search, there are too many circumstances to list under which the cops can conduct a search without your consent. They can ask for consent and you can say no and they can still get away with a search. They got away with it in Tecopa by saying the trailer matches the description of a trailer used in a crime, that gives them PC to search without your consent. If they stop you can say you were pulled over for a traffic violation then they don't have PC to search. When they make the stop they are supposed to tell you what you are being stopped for, if they don't then ask right away.

During a routine traffic stop...If you have a weapon in the car and you don't want them to search your vehicle simply get out of the vehicle with your paperwork in hand before they get up to you...only caution is getting out of the vehicle is going to put the cop on edge so make sure you are calm and keep your hands visible and wait for the cop to approach you, do not approach their vehicle. They have no reason to enter the vehicle to make the weapon safe if the weapon is not accessible to you. If you stay in the vehicle and declare you have a weapon they can only go into the immediate area in which you state the weapon is located, if it's in the center console they can only go into the center console.

The advise you were given couldn't be more correct!

You want to get technical...another difference to look into when driving through different cities with a firearm is called the 'method of carry' some cities don't allow carry with a round in the chamber and some do, etc. The actual laws have been difficult to find, but I'm sure the firearms unit from each department could clarify.

For current law info, not only is there the Nevada Revised statutes, but also the city and county ordinances and codes to check also :DDRrocks: .

Oh and just fyi when a cop just runs your license plate the only info that comes back is DMV info, not your arrest history, warrants (unless a plate is linked to a warrant, info, stolen etc), firearms registration, etc. Those take more effort on their part and they don't always run those checks on routine traffic stops, they will usually only check dmv reg and warrants...of course all cops are different and all departments are different, but generally speaking. They use to not be able to check for gun registration on the computer, but I know they have changed the firearms registry and database since I worked there and I don't know what they can do now. I was stopped in Henderson just before the new year and he did extra checks on me that they normally don't do and still didn't mention my firearm registration, he did find that I had a 'P' number which is how I knew he ran the extra checks.

Edited by Foxysandchick

I have buddys that are cops in vegas and they suggest not exiting the vehicle.......this does not go over well, you will either be ordered back into your vehicle or place infront of a patrol vehicle. If you are infront of a patrol car you are now going to be patted down for weapons. Cops main concern is being safe and when you exit the vehicle this creates a possible officer safety problem.

Also just because someone has a ccw that does that not mean the cops are going to search the car, that does not make sense. A ccw holder has to be generally a upstanding citizen so why would a cop want to search that vehicle, more than likely they do not have anything to hide.

Edited by lindernglamis

We went through Tecopa on Tuesday and didn't see any cops. So maybe it's safe not to travel through Tecopa on Sunday or Monday of a holiday weekend??? :DDRrocks: Were there cops pulling people over going to Baker way???

I always go through Pahrump. I was pulled over a couple weeks ago after the regatta for going a little to fast and the officer was very polite and just ran my info and let me go. Sounds like I got very lucky. I of course was very polite with him as well. I did not see any cops going that way last Monday.

We went through Tecopa on Tuesday and didn't see any cops. So maybe it's safe not to travel through Tecopa on Sunday or Monday of a holiday weekend??? :DDRrocks: Were there cops pulling people over going to Baker way???

i didnt see any :watching:

EMAIL TO DMV MY QUESTION....

Hello, I am interested in getting a (J endorsement) to my class c license. I have searched the dmv web sight and live in vegas I have been unable to find information relating to this. I was hoping you could tell me what steps I need to take to obtain this endorsement. I currently have a trailer I am towing that exceeds 10,000 lbs and need to become legal .

DMV REPLY....

Good morning,

Below is the link, from our website, for the information you are requesting.

http://www.dmvnv.com/nvdl.htm#Classes

The information you are looking for, I have highlighted in red.

You must pass the knowledge test and obtain an instruction permit for a given class of license or endorsement before you schedule your skills test. Skills tests are administered by appointment. Larger offices also offer tests on a stand-by basis. Not all DMV locations offer all tests. Please have your permit number or social security number ready when you call or schedule online.

If you are taking the skills test at a DMV office that has implemented the new Advanced Secure Issuance program, you must present acceptable proof of identity documents. This will include the same documents you used for the instruction permit but ASI also requires proof of your address. Start on our ASI Rollout page for dates and documentation requirements.

Online Scheduling

Las Vegas area

(702) 486-4368

Reno/Sparks/Carson City

(775) 684-4368

Elsewhere in Nevada

(877) 368-7828

See Commercial Drivers License to schedule a skills test for Class A or B, commercial Class C or Endorsements.

The examiner will perform a safety inspection on your vehicle and check your registration and insurance. You do not have to use your own vehicle, but you must have a vehicle in the same license class as you are applying for. You may not use a rental car. Vehicles must be properly registered and insured.

License Classes Back To Top

Nevada license classes, common endorsements and common restrictions are listed below. Nevada does not issue any type of Chauffeur or other special license. However, taxi drivers in Clark County must get a permit from the Nevada Taxicab Authority.

If you are changing license classes or endorsements, you must meet the new ASI Proof of Identity Requirements if you are using a DMV office that has implemented this program. Start on our ASI Rollout page. If you use an office that has not implemented ASI, your existing Nevada license or ID is sufficient proof of identity.

Class A

is required to drive combination vehicles, such as tractor-trailers, with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the vehicle being towed has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 10,001 pounds or more.

Class B

is required to drive single vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds; the operator may tow a vehicle weighing 10,000 pounds GVWR or less.

Class C

is for cars, vans, pickups, mopeds, and other vehicles with a GVWR of 26,000 pounds or less; allows towing of a vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less.

Class M

is for motorcycles. If you drive a motorcycle and a Class A, B, or C vehicle, your license will show both classes, provided you have met all other requirements. Additionally, Nevada has a Class M license with a U Restriction that limits riders to mopeds, trimobiles, and motorcycles that are less than 90 cc and do not exceed 6½ horsepower.

See Motorcycles, Mopeds & Bicycles.

Endorsement J

Allows Class C license to tow a vehicle over 10,000 pounds GVWR.

Additional written and skills tests are required.

Endorsement R

Allows Class C license to tow a combination of vehicles not to exceed 70 feet in length. The vehicles being towed must weight under 10,000 pounds combined. Additional written and skills tests are required.

Endorsement F

For firefighters, farmers and military members who drive non-commercial heavy equipment. This endorsement is a limited exemption from commercial licensing requirements.

Restriction A

Must wear corrective eye lenses (glasses or contacts).

Restriction P

Commercial driver required to obtain a physical exam every two years.

Restriction X

Issued in a variety of circumstances such as driving only on a specific route or during specific hours or driving only a certain type of vehicle. The restrictions will be listed on the back of the license or in an official statement the motorist must carry.

See Nevada Administrative Code Chapter 483 for a complete list of restrictions.

Sincerely,

Adrienne

DMV Services Technician II

Central Services Division

For more information or to obtain DMV forms, please visit our website at www.dmvnv.com or, you may contact a DMV representative by calling:

775-684-4368 for the Carson City / Washoe county area,

702-486-4368 for the Clark county area or

877-368-7828 for all other areas.

Our Phone Service Hours are 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday.

Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles

Central Services Division

555 Wright Way

Carson City, NV 89711 Fax: 775-684-4992

^^^^ In your link about half way down the page it says...

Attention RV, Boat & Trailer Owners! You need a Class A or B license to drive vehicles 26,000 pounds or heavier. You also need additional license endorsements to tow multiple trailers or trailers in excess of 10,000 pounds.

See License Classes and the Non-Commercial A/B and J/R Study Guides.