Camera shopping

dunefreak

I'm thinking of buying a new camera soon. Yeah, it's almost time to retire the old azz original dune camera. :laughing: Man it's been great camera especially for how much it's been abused in my pocket on dune rides, but it's starting to give me some trouble and doesn't take that good of pics anymore especially compared to some of the ones that members post up.

I have looked at a few and kinda narrowed it down to this one we saw at Best Buy. It is also waterproof up to like 80 feet or something like that. That would work well for Anna as well since she scuba dives.

I'm curious to see what kind of camera everyone has. More specifically I'd really like to know what kind of camera the following peeps have: wsky70, buggychick, 80grit, and Crowdog. Those are the few people I can think of off the top of my head that always take some really good pics.

So please let me know if there is a camera you recommend. I don't want to spend a fortune, I just want a decent one.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to try out my fugi your more than welcomed too.. I really like this camera takes great pics as well.

Im assuming the waterproof one was the Pentax.. KingGlamis over on GD has that camera and really likes it as well.

If you want to try out my fugi your more than welcomed too.. I really like this camera takes great pics as well.

Im assuming the waterproof one was the Pentax.. KingGlamis over on GD has that camera and really likes it as well.

I don't think it was a Pentex. I'll have to look and see. I can't remember right now.

if you want to fiddle with mine ill drop it off at the shop one morning and you can fiddle with it.. I havent taken it to the dunes that often adn when i do i forget to take it out.. havent had a good paparazzi weekend like that one trip we took some 300 pictures between the 2 of us LOL..

if you want to fiddle with mine ill drop it off at the shop one morning and you can fiddle with it.. I havent taken it to the dunes that often adn when i do i forget to take it out.. havent had a good paparazzi weekend like that one trip we took some 300 pictures between the 2 of us LOL..

sweet! Thanks. Yeah I'll bring out it MLK weekend and see how I like it. It will be better than this old azz Sansung with the scratched lense and buttons that don't work anymore. :laughing::laughing:

Hey pete, I just bought an Olympus 790SW which is shock proof up to 5ft, and water proof up to 10ft. I haven't taken it out to the dunes yet or taken many pictures, but i figured since its water proof it'll help keep all the sand and dust out of it.

I tried posting a couple pics up that I took with it, but for some reason I can't add attachments.

Edited by TheAlaskan

Thanks everyone. Keep em coming. :D

Hey pete, I just bought an Olympus 790SW which is shock proof up to 5ft, and water proof up to 10ft. I haven't taken it out to the dunes yet or taken many pictures, but i figured since its water proof it'll help keep all the sand and dust out of it.

I tried posting a couple pics up that I took with it, but for some reason I can't add attachments.

You may need to downsize the pic if it is too large. That is usually the main reason why people have troubles with uploading pics. Most new camera settings are set to HUGE picture/file sizes and the forum will time-out if it is too large. ;)

I use Canon, I have a PowerShot SD600 Digital ELPH, think it's already been updated. Here's a couple I'd recommend:

Canon - PowerShot 7.1MP Digital ELPH Camera - Silver $249.00

Model: SD750 SKU: 8266191

Canon - PowerShot 7.1MP Digital ELPH Camera - Silver $199.00

Model: SD1000 SKU: 8266164

Just looked at both on Best Buy, they take some good pics and those two would be better than mine. I'd also get a 2gb sandisk memory card, like 60 bucks and I can save over 1k pics at high res

Edited by wsky70

so after the last post i decided to set my laptop on the cofee table, which knocked over my beer :laughoff:, While grabbing for my beer I managed to knock my camera into the puddle of spilt beer, sooooo I can now attest to the cameras waterproof abilities :laughing:

now to go get another :laughing:

I just bought myself a new camera, the Cannon S5IS. The thing works great, it is one step below an SLR. I talked to my buddy who was big into photography, also was a video editer and he said that the cannons are probably the best digital point and shoot cameras. The reviews I found on the net were positive. Anyways I will stop rambling on.

I like best buy, but circuit city has better prices on their cameras.

EC.CAN.POWERSHOTS5IS.FR.JPG

Canon PowerShot SX100IS 8MP Digital Camera with 10x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom

31omxtaixxlaa200bt9.jpg

i bought this one for my wife for christmas. it has many cool features, good video shooting too. nice, crisp photos. the 10x zoom is nice...although, there is a model, for like 20 bucks more that has 12x optical zoom

i had it delivered (FED EX RANT) :beercheers: 250 bucks to the door

Pete -

Take a look at this site. Some issues when selecting your purchase:

http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/shutter-lag-comparisons.cfm

:drunk: No camera is made to last in the desert, especially the type of riding we all do. The camera you purchase should be looked at like it's going to spend all of it's time in an enviroment that is hostile. The best protective case is typically a "Dive Enclosure", so make sure that they make a low profile dive enclosure, that kills two issues for you right off.

:dope: All of these camera's come with 2GIG of larger memory, so your really down to Power Consumtion and type. If you travel like I do for work and play, then you'll need to look at types of power. Special Batt Paks, vs. Standard Batteries. If you go to places outside of the US, these special battery Paks will be extremely difficut to replace. Rechargeable, especially the new Lit Batt types are good, but when all else fails and cant charge it back up - you might want to get a camera that allows both types of power.

:flipoff: In all the shooting I do, one of the biggest issues is seeing what your shooting. We've all had too much sun on the screen, where your wrapping your hands around or the tiny view finder that does not really tell you what the lens is actually viewing. Most of the Olympus SP models have an interactive view finder, and large LED screen. I find it extremely helpful to have an interactive view finder that shows you live picture viewing as your moving the telephoto from wide to zoom, along with the viweing screen on the back.

:laughoff: The next issue is having all the bells and whistles with simplicity. There's nothing worse than getting a professional grade anything with an entry level or mid-entry level of knowledge. It's better to find a really good camera that has some presets, that everyone in the family could quickly set up, vs. the one photo guru in the family. I teach underwater photography a lot and at the end of the day it's the KISS theory all the way....Keep it Simple

:wedgie: Check out the WEB Site that allow you to see performance, like all of the techno motor heads here, there is some comparisons of shutter lag time, memory recording time, load speed, ect....you might want to check it out.

:laughoff: I shot about 4-5K pics a year while diving and another 5-6K a year at the job. Take your time and shoot several cameras, and it looks like everyone here's got some good ones to loan you to try out. I shoot both Canon and Olympus, they are hard to beat both with the features and accessories.

:beercheers:

Edited by Sandpirates2

We have an older Olympus....which has been very good to us, and has some of the features that SandPirates2 is talking about.

• View finder as well as the whatever you call the little window like a standard camera.
  • Simple settings
  • Runs on regular batteries as well as a pack....so it's universal.

post-475-1200529321_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

OK so it looks like I have narrowed it down to a couple cameras. I have been researching some reviews.

I REALLY like the fact that this one (Olympus) is very shock and waterproof, but it doesn't seem to have a very good flash and photo quality might be slightly less than that of the Canon SD750 or 1000 and is much more expensive.

And then the Canon SD1000 seems like a very good camera, is small, and even pretty affordable for the quality camera you get.

Any help to sway my decision would be appreciated. :D