3 Rattle Snakes in 12 Hours

Sandpirates2

:beercheers: Got home last night, around 9pm from PT's, and open the back door to let the dogs out, and they went balistic....went out, looked around and found a 2.5 ft Western Diamond Back, coiled up next to my patio door, had we went out that way, would have been nailed for sure....so he got 12 Gauge Bird Shot.

Got up this morning, went out to get the paper, my springer started raising all sorts of hell, and "DAMN" another one under my Quad Trailer, so luckily he was behind the wheel, and I rolled the trailer on him to pin him down, got the shovel, took his Frig'n head off.....Damn two in 12 hours.

Went out back about an hour later as the springer and my retriever were again going nuts, and heard a big time rattle, jump back, got the 12 Gauge, push the zuchini plants around and bang, it hit my shot gun and gave it position away.....so I returned the favor.....Three of these damn things in 12 hours.....all the same size and all within about 50 ft of each other. So now Im freaked and carrying the damn shot gun and will be making rounds for the next 2-3 days checking all the plants and hiding places. I need a beer and it's only 11:30

SP2 Mike

P6180001.JPG

P6180002.JPG

P6190003.JPG

P6190004.JPG

post-3623-1245436752_thumb.jpg

post-3623-1245436774_thumb.jpg

post-3623-1245436789_thumb.jpg

post-3623-1245436806_thumb.jpg

That would freak the sh*t out of me. I hate Muffhugging Snakes. It is the only living creature I really hate.

Keep them dogs in the house to. At least they will keep you alert. :beercheers:

I guess you will be taking naps and not sleeping too well for a while now.. :ban-split:

That's why I live in the city! I deal with rodents not snakes.

So then Mike should round them up and bring them down to the city and rid you of your rodent problem! Rodents are nasty and kill people, snakes would just as soon not have to deal with people and will defend themselves only when effed with by a person. I know we've all got our own fears, I'm scared of asparagus, but snakes I'll take anyday over some nasty azzed rats...

A few more years Mike and those would have been some good eatin'. I understand your plight though with them in your yard chillin' with the dogs and whatnot. Maybe a .22 pistol loaded with ratshot would be less conspicuous than a 12 guage shotgun around the neighborhood.

My rodent problem is some damn gopher family tearing up my front and back yards!

A lil bait here and there and they seem to migrate over to the neighbors lawn but will creep back after a month or two.

Snakes would drive me crazy with a curious dog and 2 little girls.

:guns: Had to call the Boulder Animal people - we killed two more this afternoon, and I used my 22 pistol with snake shot - didnt have any, so I went down and got it today, just in case and damn, found one near the same spot on the patio, and one near the 5th wheel. So the Boulder Animal guy is a BPD actually, and I got the lecture of no guns pls........like yah sure no problem...... :slap: so, I figure a fine is well worth the issue if I cant nail the suckers quickly. Anyway, he got the last one, and pinned it, then shovel to the head worked. Said likely that since the City has recently done some serious dirt work in the field about 50 ft away from my house it's likely stirred them up, and its a "DEN of SNAKES". I also didnt ID them correctly, their actually "Spotted Rattle Snakes" which he said are real close cousins to the Mohave Green, and have Dual venom, really nasty, said that dogs untreated will die, so it's off to the VET tomorrow, to check out Anti-Venom Shot series for both..... So he also said that it's likely that I could see these for the next several weeks - some dens have like 60-70 snakes or more, he said the record around here is 123 in one den..... :grin: so not looking for that. Wife is in Cali - says call her when there gone..... :blink: so, have shovel will travel. Oh Ace, I'll be happy to bag these, and have them hauled out to you....but you have to unpack them.... :think: Well until later - Any one what to have a Bar-B-Q Snake hunt all you can find and eat.... :laughing:

Bar-B-Q'd Rattler

~ 1 rattlesnake, cut into 2 inch steaks

~ 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce

~ 1/2 cup honey

~ 1 tbsp fresh ground ginger

~ seasame seeds

In a bowl, mix together the teriyaki sauce, honey and ginger.

Pour marinade into a large ziplock bag. Add the snake steaks.

Squeeze out the air and seal. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.

Remove the steaks and roll in seasame seeds.

Place on hot grill. Cook over medium heat until done.

Serve and Enjoy!

Bar-B-Q'd Rattler

~ 1 rattlesnake, cut into 2 inch steaks

~ 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce

~ 1/2 cup honey

~ 1 tbsp fresh ground ginger

~ seasame seeds

In a bowl, mix together the teriyaki sauce, honey and ginger.

Pour marinade into a large ziplock bag. Add the snake steaks.

Squeeze out the air and seal. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.

Remove the steaks and roll in seasame seeds.

Place on hot grill. Cook over medium heat until done.

Serve and Enjoy!

Thanks SKYZ - Do you have to de-bone them first or just pull the meat off after cooking? Hey maybe I could use the Rattle for a Plate Decoration - for Authenticity... :think:

SP2 Mike :laughing:

Thanks SKYZ - Do you have to de-bone them first or just pull the meat off after cooking? Hey maybe I could use the Rattle for a Plate Decoration - for Authenticity... :laughing:

As couple of things......Be carefull with the rattles. They contain small glass like particles and can be the shitz if you get them in your eyes!!!

There is a retired Ranger from Lake Mead named Bob MC Keever and he was the SNAKE MAN out in that area. He may want to help you with your issue. I'm not even sure if he still does it but you might call the Lake Mead Office and ask them if they will have him call you!

He may want to help you dispose of them or relocate them.

Another option is to call the local hospital and see where a supplier gets their venom for the anti venom. Someone might want to capture them for the venom.

Eff snakes!!!!! Eff clowns too!!!!!! :laughing:

I'm with you on the clowns thing. It's them and monkeys. Scare the heck out of me.

Snake meat is good. I liked that recipe. Might try it sometime, if'n i comes across a goodn'

BTW: I like Sandawgs idea, see if someone needs the venom.

I'm with you on the clowns thing. It's them and monkeys. Scare the heck out of me.

Snake meat is good. I liked that recipe. Might try it sometime, if'n i comes across a goodn'

BTW: I like Sandawgs idea, see if someone needs the venom.

yup its good eating and it said to help cure different health problems,i had a job site where we used to see a lot of them,so my dad started eating it for his swollen prostate,after he started eating it his prostate was back to normal....... :laughing:

:guns: Had to call the Boulder Animal people - we killed two more this afternoon, and I used my 22 pistol with snake shot - didnt have any, so I went down and got it today, just in case and damn, found one near the same spot on the patio, and one near the 5th wheel. So the Boulder Animal guy is a BPD actually, and I got the lecture of no guns pls........like yah sure no problem...... :MBdance: so, I figure a fine is well worth the issue if I cant nail the suckers quickly. Anyway, he got the last one, and pinned it, then shovel to the head worked. Said likely that since the City has recently done some serious dirt work in the field about 50 ft away from my house it's likely stirred them up, and its a "DEN of SNAKES". I also didnt ID them correctly, their actually "Spotted Rattle Snakes" which he said are real close cousins to the Mohave Green, and have Dual venom, really nasty, said that dogs untreated will die, so it's off to the VET tomorrow, to check out Anti-Venom Shot series for both..... So he also said that it's likely that I could see these for the next several weeks - some dens have like 60-70 snakes or more, he said the record around here is 123 in one den..... :mex: so not looking for that. Wife is in Cali - says call her when there gone..... :lol: so, have shovel will travel. Oh Ace, I'll be happy to bag these, and have them hauled out to you....but you have to unpack them.... :assblast: Well until later - Any one what to have a Bar-B-Q Snake hunt all you can find and eat.... :assblast:

I am glad to know about the snakes. I frequently walk my dogs in the field the city tore up. Gues we will stick to pavement!

this is from my most recent trip back to arkansas.... got two copperheads in less than an hour.. of course its a farm out there so its nothing new... both these got a 12 gauge magnum shot to em

S5001801.jpg

Edited by WonderBoy